Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fifa is much better

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I gave up posting on this topic and said I'd play both equally for a while and see how I got on.

I still think Fifa is much sharper and the entire game is much better, I loved PES4 and PES5 but Fifa has much clearer graphics well on a hd projector with a 100" screen anyway don't know what it looks like on a standard TV. The online play actually works well most of the time and the gameplay options are much better with full seasons etc.

I know people can become fans of games but anyone with an idependent view will go for Fifa this year imo, oh and that includes my 2 nephews, 13 and 10 they played both on my PS3 before deciding which one they wanted for xmas and both picked FIFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,747 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Those Items you listed are all marked down for improvement in PES2009

Shingo already was discussing it as this games big release was the TeamVision AI which can only get better.

2 Divisions in Master league isnt a big deal. the Kits have always been a pro evo problem

What is this world tour mode? i dont remember it on ps2, are you expecting a feature thats not been there yet?

no random selection match is correct for ps3, but incorrect for ps2, i too am bewildered at the removal of that function, i really did like that feature.

Poor opposition programming - so your saying you cant get goals, is that a testament to the fact that you cant score or that the game is counteracting how you play and your just finding it difficult, thats the whole idea like.

`These items have been marker down for improvement every year but it doesn't happen. We were told after the terrible effort on the 360 last year that this years version would be the definitive HD version of the game, yet they admit they have left stuff out.

The 2 division thing is a big deal for me because they promised more (and apparently delivered on teh PS2 version)

World Tour mode is a scenario mode in the PS2 version, a mode I and other have been crying out for since the original ISS games and teh N64 versions by MajorA. Again, if this years version on PS3/360 was supposed to be definitive as Konami said, it would be in the PS3 version.

Random selection match - it is disgraceful it has not been included in the 'next-gen' versions

As for poor opposition programming, you miss understand me. They are simply far FAR too conservative with the ball. I regularly have games where i will win 3-0 but will finish the match with close to 30% of the possesion, cause the opposition don't try to force themselves on the goal. Regularly, regardless of the score. the CPU will pass it from the keeper to the full back, to the other centre back, to the midfielder, back to the full back, who will then smack it cross field to the other full back and then the cycle will repeat. There are also occasions where they will be in a crossing possition, but rather then try to attack (and potentially lose teh ball, they will pass it back defensively to the back 4 who will then start to knock it around again.

The above happens FAR too much. I could understand it if the CPU was 1-0 up 10 minutes to go, but it a constant issue, they do it from kickoff FFS!! itcan be the 20th simulated minute before i get the ball simply because the opposition will just knock it around the backline while my forwards chase all over the place. THIS IS NOT REALISTIC!

Also, the kits were hardly a problem at all on the ps2 version of the games up to this year, as the edit more was brilliant - i had teams looking perfect (with sponsrs and crests) thanks to people at Evo-Web and PESfan - the editing on the 360 and PS3 versions of the game are absolutely terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Hey, I only just got my PlayStation 3 yesterday and a copy of PES 2008, my first reaction is extremely disappointing. I have been a PES fan since the ISS times and have everyone of the games so far. First of all, could the menus be any more 'arcadey', I keep waiting for it to say "Insert coin to continue". Dont even got me started on the music. Usually those are things I have never cared about in the past because of PES's superior gameplay, but now it appears it doesn't even have that, yes I'm talking about slowdown, which kills the game, everything is so rough and 'jumpy' it's like playing someone online with a poor connection, ALL THE TIME! Also I think the graphic's are quite poor in it, have you seen 'ginger david beckham' and john Terry who look nothing like there real-life counterparts. Right I'm off to play more to see if there's any positives to be taken or else I'll be doing something I haven't done since 1998, :eek: buying FIFA...I'll leave it there...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Menu's are much improved over previous year

and the big point which people just dont seem to understand

FIFA have a lock on most facial reproductions and names, which is why pes struggles every year to get the names and likeness's

If beckham is a ginge, its because PES cannot get a license to reproduce his face

What is it with all you people, your finding rough faults that are nothing to do with the game.

The Slowdown doesnt happen on my ps3, ive not had an offline slowdown yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

no slow down on replays, free kicks or corners?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Sean7

I got FIFA08 with my PS3 and honestly, I'm impressed which, from a die-hard Pro Evo fan, is hard to say. I've only got the PS3 and from what I'm hearing of PES 2008 from people I might not bother buying it and stick with FIFA for the year until they (hopefully) sort out all the bad things I've heard about the new Pro Evo in the next edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Menu's are much improved over previous year

Are you having a laugh? The menu's are appalling, reminiscent of the sega megadrive era, which was fine back then but this is the next gen console. I know its a small part of the game, but it is the first interaction we have with it.
    Slowdown doesnt happen on my ps3, ive not had an offline slowdown yet.

Its not a case of slowdown happening on some console's and not on others, its happening full stop due to terrible frame rate issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

If you honestly feel PES is a bad game, go play fifa because your looking for an arcade game.

pes 08 is the more arcadey of the 2, by a mile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭torqdj

i have to say i never thought a PES fan would ever say fifa was better

Cyrus wrote: »
    no slow down on replays, free kicks or corners?

None
    pes 08 is the more arcadey of the 2, by a mile

Entitled to your opinion but honestly i dont believe fifa feels in any way realistic
    Are you having a laugh? The menu's are appalling, reminiscent of the sega megadrive era, which was fine back then but this is the next gen console. I know its a small part of the game, but it is the first interaction we have with it.

What exactly is wrong with them???? are they too shiney, too dull, too many clicks to get what you want? define how they relate to a 32 bit era in any way? give me exactly of what you are talking about because from here it just sounds like your being bitter and picking on things without giving reasons.

give me reasons and we can discuss how relevant they are.
    Its not a case of slowdown happening on some console's and not on others, its happening full stop due to terrible frame rate issues

I have suffered no slowdown or framerate issue's on my PS3 playing PES2008 or any other game so far. So its not happening full stop, its happening on some, but not mine.

• Advertisement

Blinded by the light......

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

None

Entitled to your opinion but honestly i dont believe fifa feels in any way realistic

What exactly is wrong with them???? are they too shiney, too dull, too many clicks to get what you want? define how they relate to a 32 bit era in any way? give me exactly of what you are talking about because from here it just sounds like your being bitter and picking on things without giving reasons.

give me reasons and we can discuss how relevant they are.

I have suffered no slowdown or framerate issue's on my PS3 playing PES2008 or any other game so far. So its not happening full stop, its happening on some, but not mine.

sorry dion i cannot believe that replays run at a normal framerate on your ps3, you must be the only person in the world, either that or you dont notice it and you need a CAT scan :D (joke!)

seriously i want this to be brilliant, been waitin ever since i bought the ps3 but the frame rate is killing it for me

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Pro Evo is still better imo. Everyone raved about PES 5 and it has improved since then with 6 and now 2008. I think FIFA has caught up alright but not near the level of PES.

They honestly flow as normal

you guys do know there are different camera's for replays that run differently

have you tried that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭Unearthly

They honestly flow as normal

you guys do know there are different camera's for replays that run differently

have you tried that?

Irrelevant

There is still slowdown in the game

As for which is more like an arcade game, I thought it was quite clear Pro Evo is now :confused:

no way, pro evo the player reactions and flow of the game, the bounce of the ball, the way the ball bobbles along some surfaces

its far more realistic

It feels like a game of pinball at times with Pro Evo, the pace is way too fast aswell. In Pro Evo you can split a defence with like 3 passes

Still great fun though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

FIFA seems more realistic to people who actually dont know anything about football.

Any REAL football fans that appreciate the sport itself and understand it know that PES is a lot closer to it than FIFA.

So often while playing PES myself and my friends will remark how realistic a passage of play was. It often looks exactly like a real game. Not graphically, but the animation, the movement of the football itself, the reactions of players etc.

FIFA never looks realistic or plays realistic. It is definitely easier to pick up and play and score cracking goals. But while that satisfies the masses of moronic gamers that dont know football, PES is there for people who want a realistic interpretation of the sport.

WellyJ wrote: »
    FIFA seems more realistic to people who actually dont know anything about football.

Any REAL football fans that appreciate the sport itself and understand it know that PES is a lot closer to it than FIFA.

So often while playing PES myself and my friends will remark how realistic a passage of play was. It often looks exactly like a real game. Not graphically, but the animation, the movement of the football itself, the reactions of players etc.

FIFA never looks realistic or plays realistic. It is definitely easier to pick up and play and score cracking goals. But while that satisfies the masses of moronic gamers that dont know football, PES is there for people who want a realistic interpretation of the sport.

Ladies and gentlemen, George Clooney posts on Boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

oh dear

lol

pes entered the realm of massively high scoring games and stupidly unrealistic pace with its new incarnation, hardly the stuff of sims

you should actually try playing fifa 08, its the same, except not dosed up on speed

FIFA never looks realistic or plays realistic.[/quote]

again youve clearly not played 08
    It is definitely easier to pick up and play and score cracking goals.

no its not. it used to be yes, in fact last years fifa was one of the worst games ive ever played. this years, however, is not
    But while that satisfies the masses of moronic gamers that dont know football, PES is there for people who want a realistic interpretation of the sport.

no, pes is now there for people who will blindly buy a game because of the name on the cover, and who wont entertain the possibility of the developers making a balls of it this year, because for some reason they have the opinion that a series of games is infallible, and like supporting a footie team, you have to stick by it and brush over all its faults

as a series pes pwns the **** outta fifa, this year, konami made a balls of it and fifa improved infinitely

for the last 4 incarnations of each before this year, i had both games, and i played both regularly, pes pretty much always came out on top in terms of realism... up until this year.

stop being a fanboy and try giving the new fifa a go, and if not stop basing your opinions about this years game on games that have gone before it, because youre pissing on your own argument by showing you havent actually played the game

why people wouldnt want 2 class football games to play instead of 1 is bloody well beyond me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Ballymun Bohs

PES 2008 is a shambles no 2 ways about it really. It's WAYYYY too fast. For idiots slating people saying they know nothing about real football if they like a certain game, look at it objectively. Do you think being able to dribble from one end of the pitch with practically any player with a bit of pace for virtually the whole game is realistic? What about the super human star players? The difference between the bigger teams and smaller ones is ridiculous. Of course they should be better, but not by such a margin as this game suggests. my single biggest gripe and DEFINATELY the most UNREALISTIC element of PES 2008 is the goalkeepers. I mean, why are they even there? hit any kind of hard shot at them and they'll fumble them into the net or parry them straight to a striker for a tap in and this is the main reason for ridiculously high games.

I'm not going to talk about FIFA 08 because I've only played the demo of it so it's unfair to give an opinion on it, having said that it did seem like a big improvement.

My main gripe is with people who keep banging on about PES 2008 being a simulation and being so realistic. PES used to be the benchmark for realism in a football game, but with this installment it's certainly not.

Any REAL football fan plays the game for real and not just on a console and I'm one of them I have played the game for over 15 years now and at a pretty decent level too and PES is about as real as Pamela Anderson's breasts.

FIFA 08 is not a real sim but it is a hell of a lot closer than PES 08, so I suggest you go play the game for real and then play both games and post back with sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I'm not going to talk about FIFA 08 because I've only played the demo of it so it's unfair to give an opinion on it, having said that it did seem like a big improvement
    The FIFA demo was terrible, the game is much better, give it a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

I have PES2008 for the PC (no slowdown and running @ high res) and Fifa 08 for 360.

I bought Fifa 07 and thought it was rubbish. I loved PES 6.

Fifa 08 is the best Fifa I have played in 10+ years. PES 2008 is the worst PES I've ever played.

IMO...
    PES2008
    +Better graphics. Nice to have the refs on the pitch.
    +Ball seems heavier.
    +Responsive controls.
    -WAY Too fast. Unrealistic pace. How can a crossfield pass cover that much ground so quickly. You'd puncture a real ball if you hit it hard enough to travel that fast.
    -Menus are pretty awful. Tacky colors and the music is euro-pop sh*t. (imo)
    -AI is far to defensive.
    -Online (couldn't get it going). From what I hear its pretty bad anyway. So no improvememt this year.

Fifa 08
    +Loads of teams
    +Loads of competitions
    +Online works pretty well. Plenty of options. (Interavtive leagues, custom leagues, rankings, 5v5)
    +Actually plays quite realistically.
    -A bit too slow. Game needs to be sped up 10%
    -Players can at times seem a little unresponsive.
    +Great difficulty. Not an easy game.
    -Crossing is a b*tch to defend against.
    -The usual 'everyone is Barca' online annoyance. I wish there was some sort of weighted system so the worse/better the team (there is a 5 star -10 point - rating system for each team) rating, the more/less ranoking points for a win.

(*sure I've missed plenty of stuff*)
    So this year. Its role reversal. PES 2008 is the arcade interpretation and Fifa 08 is Sim.

Neither are perfect by a long shot but Fifa 08 wins it easy enough tbh.

Never ever thought I would say that :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

on the subject of fifa... is it possible to play the game windowed? ie not in fullscreen? I like to watch something while I'm playing my games...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think the realisation debate is a load of crap to be honest. In most 10 minute games I score about 4-5 goals in either PES or FIFA. In most soccer games you'd get none.
    Why is this? Because while it's a simulation, it's still a game, and much easier to do stuff than football.

I think FIFA has improved lots, but I can't help but feel that I still prefer the style of how PES plays. Some might say it's more realistic, but I think it's not just that, I just prefer how it plays. FIFA to me always seems to have annoying little features, like off the ball etc. While FIFA is much more just about football now, it still kinda bugs me about some stuff.

I can't help but feel that if PES was as effective online as FIFA was (which is fantastic btw) I think it would be universally accepted as better. As such, you can't really rave about the gameplay, cause we can't play the game :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

brianon wrote: »
    I have PES2008 for the PC (no slowdown and running @ high res) and Fifa 08 for 360.

I bought Fifa 07 and thought it was rubbish. I loved PES 6.

Fifa 08 is the best Fifa I have played in 10+ years. PES 2008 is the worst PES I've ever played.

IMO...
    PES2008
    +Better graphics. Nice to have the refs on the pitch.
    +Ball seems heavier.
    +Responsive controls.
    -WAY Too fast. Unrealistic pace. How can a crossfield pass cover that much ground so quickly. You'd puncture a real ball if you hit it hard enough to travel that fast.
    -Menus are pretty awful. Tacky colors and the music is euro-pop sh*t. (imo)
    -AI is far to defensive.
    -Online (couldn't get it going). From what I hear its pretty bad anyway. So no improvememt this year.

Fifa 08
    +Loads of teams
    +Loads of competitions
    +Online works pretty well. Plenty of options. (Interavtive leagues, custom leagues, rankings, 5v5)
    +Actually plays quite realistically.
    -A bit too slow. Game needs to be sped up 10%
    -Players can at times seem a little unresponsive.
    +Great difficulty. Not an easy game.
    -Crossing is a b*tch to defend against.
    -The usual 'everyone is Barca' online annoyance. I wish there was some sort of weighted system so the worse/better the team (there is a 5 star -10 point - rating system for each team) rating, the more/less ranoking points for a win.

(*sure I've missed plenty of stuff*)
    So this year. Its role reversal. PES 2008 is the arcade interpretation and Fifa 08 is Sim.

Neither are perfect by a long shot but Fifa 08 wins it easy enough tbh.

Never ever thought I would say that :)

was gonna spend ages on this but that pretty much sums it up, the only thing i prefer over fifa in pro evo 08 is the shooting system, honestly i never know whether im gonna score or not in fifa aside from open goals which are routinely missed in pro evo (fooking hate that sh i te).

I never ever liked or bought fifa but i think its the beginning of the end, i just dont think that they have the people of the resources to compete with fifa, even when fifa was sh-it-e it still outsold pro evo at its peak, which i think was 4. I honestly dont think seabass and the lot are cut out for developing a next gen game, they have had two attempts and have gotten it wrong both times, fifa is going forwards pro evo isnt.. it had to happen at some point and i think it is the beginning of the end.

PS, the only game to my knowledge that is unplayable because of lag, is pro evo 2008, it was supposed to be fixed on the 19th, it hasnt and there is simply no excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

givyjoe81 wrote: »
    was gonna spend ages on this but that pretty much sums it up, the only thing i prefer over fifa in pro evo 08 is the shooting system, honestly i never know whether im gonna score or not in fifa aside from open goals which are routinely missed in pro evo (fooking hate that sh i te).

I never ever liked or bought fifa but i think its the beginning of the end, i just dont think that they have the people of the resources to compete with fifa, even when fifa was sh-it-e it still outsold pro evo at its peak, which i think was 4. I honestly dont think seabass and the lot are cut out for developing a next gen game, they have had two attempts and have gotten it wrong both times, fifa is going forwards pro evo isnt.. it had to happen at some point and i think it is the beginning of the end.

PS, the only game to my knowledge that is unplayable because of lag, is pro evo 2008, it was supposed to be fixed on the 19th, it hasnt and there is simply no excuse.

Damn. Forgot teh shooting in Fifa. Is a bit hit and miss alright.
    If Fifa 09 makes the same leap forward as this years edition did then there won't even be an arguement to have next year.

Fifa has far less to 'fix' compared to PES.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 i_kenefick

Both PES2008 and FIFA '08 are far from perfect.

PES2008 suffers from online lag, choppy frame rate and only moderately good graphics. I loved the previous PES titles but there is too much to annoy me in 2008.

As for Fifa. It's slower than PES2008 but the gameplay has improved dramatically. The controls are pretty complex for a football game and take a while to get used to. It's by far a better looking and sounding game but the logic for the commentary is flawed and needs to be fixed. Oher than that I really like it.

Konami's patch for the PS3 version of PES2008 reduced the texture details to improve framerate which and slightly improved the lag. The end result was a worse looking game which is still sketchy during online gaming. Until Konami releases a 'real' patch for the PS3 version of PES2008 I will be playing FIFA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Fifa is better,but pro evo is ok!!

Advertisement