Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst club you've been to in Galway?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

dont do clubbing anymore, but god mention of vagy's brings me back! must have lived there throughout 95 & 96! oooh & CJs too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

does the Victoria Hotel still have a nightclub? (just curious...)

Apart from that, all nightclubs are pretty ****e for what you pay for them...Go to CPs if you like being chatted up by farmers and the checkered-shirt brigade, GPO for all your mothering needs (seriously, they're all, like, 15 in there!), the Warwick *can* be good, but does not have to be (it's either totally empty, or completely packed), the Alley (or Karma or whatever) is on par with CPs for meat-market standards, the music in Halo is ****e, De Burghos is nice but way too small, haven't been to Pi but what I remember from Church Lane was pretty bad, have I forgotten anything? Don't think so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Out of interest, where are Vagabonds, The Warwick and DeBurgo's in relation to Eyre Square/Shop St? Also where is Massimo's? Is it down the Roisin Dubh end of town?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Bass Cadet wrote: »
    Never had any problems in there myself. You'd see more drunken aggro and hear more bull**** at yer average CP's night out. The place looked like a ****hole but then again some of the best Berlin nightclubs look like complete dives. In fact one of the best I've been to was in an underground tube station. Give me a grubby, musty Castle with a hopping atmosphere over the bland, boring, clean as a whistle theme bar/club ****e that seems to be so prevelant in galway and around the country right now

Believe me you were in with plenty of Galways finest scumbags at that time in the Castle.The only reason you didn't get as much aggro as your average night was because they were too off their noggins to do anything.Dont know nessecarily if thats a good thing.Anyway they would have usually given some young fella a hiding before they entered the club.The years before everyone was raving they were wearing denim jackets and skin tight jeans kicking 8 shades of sh1te out of people in Salthill.As for hearing bullsh1t..........nah never in the Castle;).
    Im not saying i didn't have any good nights in their, i had plenty, but looking back...........young and nieve:o

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

The Warwick is in Salthill, De Burgo's is St Augustine's St (the road parallel to shop st), Massimo's is down the Roisin End of town just up from Blue Note. I'm guessing Vagabonds is a distant memory

• Advertisement

Out of interest, where are Vagabonds, The Warwick and DeBurgo's in relation to Eyre Square/Shop St? Also where is Massimo's? Is it down the Roisin Dubh end of town?

Vagabonds is lloooooooonnng gone.It was in Salthill where the refugee centre is now ,used to be The Eglington Hotel,great old rocker joint it was.
    Warwick is in Salthill,Deburgos is near the library and Massimos is down by Roisins alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dartsfan

Most clubs in Galway are ****e. DeBurgo's and Cuba are the only half decent ones I can think of. Halo and CP's are like a reflection of all that is bad in modern Ireland. Glad that some decent pubs around the west are actually staying open till 1 or 2 am now

As mentioned before, Vagabonds was outstanding! :D Also The Castle in Salthill was one of the best in Ireland at one stage! Got in there when I was 15! The cops regular drug-busts were some craic!

Just wondering what you mean by Halo and CPs being a reflection of all that is bad in modern Ireland? Can't see much wrong with Halo, especially if you're in the 22 to 30 age group. Music isn't great, but you get a good mix of a crowd. Seems to be a strong "alternative" contingent on this messageboard generally, with a somewhat snobbish attitude to more popular/normal tastes.
    Club Pi, The Vic and Kennedy's are my worst clubs in Galway, followed closely by the GPO. Cuba a great spot to get your pint robbed.

dartsfan wrote: »
    Seems to be a strong "alternative" contingent on this messageboard generally, with a somewhat snobbish attitude to more popular/normal tastes.

QFT but not just on boards ,in general i find what you say to be spot on.You would think it would be the other way around:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

We need an O'Malley's again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Lads dont feel so bad. The clubs in Cork are dreadfula s well. Dublin is marginally better as there are more of them but still rather poor. Late bars are the way of the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

dartsfan wrote: »
    Just wondering what you mean by Halo and CPs being a reflection of all that is bad in modern Ireland? Can't see much wrong with Halo, especially if you're in the 22 to 30 age group. Music isn't great, but you get a good mix of a crowd.

From past experience, you have Halo and CP's as a mecca for people who have no qualms about being completely ripped off, ie all that's wrong with modern Ireland. People have no problem paying the guts of €15 entrance fee into a gammy nightclub which more often than not allows too many people in, inflate bar prices and drinking yourself stupid seems to be the #1 reason for going there. I know because I've done that myself! I won't even start on the music!

If that's what people are into fair enough, I'm defo not a snob! Just thought I'd clarify what I meant and qualify my dislike of both places!....they don't call these clubs 'cattlemarts' for no good reason! :D At least in some other clubs like Cuba, etc there is an effort to get in some decent bands/dj's, I wouldn't exactly be a fan of the club...I suppose it's a bit frustrating because Galway used to have a very decent music scene but more and more 'super-clubs' or plastic, pop theme-bars seem to be replacing music venues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭sensitive_soul

I hate the GPO, nicknames "The Gyppo" for obvious reasons.
    I don't like Karma 'cause theres rarely more than 8 Irish people in it, lol.
    I wont go NEAR club PI cause they look like they've to pay people to go up there, their PR isn't the best... they need to do more public work.

padi89 wrote: »
    Believe me you were in with plenty of Galways finest scumbags at that time in the Castle.The only reason you didn't get as much aggro as your average night was because they were too off their noggins to do anything.Dont know nessecarily if thats a good thing.Anyway they would have usually given some young fella a hiding before they entered the club.The years before everyone was raving they were wearing denim jackets and skin tight jeans kicking 8 shades of sh1te out of people in Salthill.As for hearing bullsh1t..........nah never in the Castle;).
    Im not saying i didn't have any good nights in their, i had plenty, but looking back...........young and nieve:o

Doesn't matter who was in there and who wasn't, fact is I see more 'scumbag' behaviour outside Halo and CP's these days than I ever did at the Castle. Maybe people were off their heads, regardless, my main point is that you just don't get the same kind of atmosphere in any club right now. Even if there was scumbags, there was always a huge amount of people there for the music -regardless of how embarrassing that music may seem now! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

They are all sh1te tbh. When you go abroad and see what a real club looks like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Everyone I know wants to go to Halo nowadays. I wonder how it is?

Doesn't matter who was in there and who wasn't, fact is I see more 'scumbag' behaviour outside Halo and CP's these days than I ever did at the Castle. Maybe people were off their heads, regardless, my main point is that you just don't get the same kind of atmosphere in any club right now. Even if there was scumbags, there was always a huge amount of people there for the music -regardless of how embarrassing that music may seem now! :D

Plenty of sh1te went on outside the Castle,there were scraps outside that place that are still come up in chats now and again,no point in comparing outside with inside.You don't get the same atmosphere now in a club because you have grown up and see it through different eyes, i wouldn't go near somewhere like the Castle now.Being a bit more realistic and honest the majority were there to get off there tits it never really mattered who played,music was just a beat thats all.
    Take away the pills and i guarantee you fcuk all would have went,its no different from booze.As for people paying 15 euro into gammy nightclubs? Thats their choice it shouldn't bother you at all,doesn't bother me.As long as they enjoy themselves isn't that all that should matter?.Anyway its just your opinion the same people may not like your places, choice of music etc.Make your own fun:D

togster wrote: »
    They are all sh1te tbh. When you go abroad and see what a real club looks like.

I'm from London and I much prefer going out in Galway :D It can cost up to £15 Sterling to get into some clubs in Central London...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Haven't lived in Galway in a few years but there is/was a place between the BOI and Cuba a the top of the square, have the name forgotten but unfortunately not the memories.

jester77 wrote: »
    Haven't lived in Galway in a few years but there is/was a place between the BOI and Cuba a the top of the square, have the name forgotten but unfortunately not the memories.

Surely not Kennedy's....

Plenty of sh1te went on outside the Castle,there were scraps outside that place that are still come up in chats now and again,no point in comparing outside with inside.You don't get the same atmosphere now in a club because you have grown up and see it through different eyes, i wouldn't go near somewhere like the Castle now.Being a bit more realistic and honest the majority were there to get off there tits it never really mattered who played,music was just a beat thats all.Take away the pills and i guarantee you fcuk all would have went,its no different from booze.

You forget to mention the three magic words 'in my opinion'.... My point is that people were going to listen to music, or at least 90% of the people I knew going there were. Whatever you made of the club itself, it attracted some pretty big names in dance music back then, that is something you see pretty rarely in any clubs in Galway these days, getting people into clubs to buy over-inflated prices for drink is more cost-effective than getting a good act through the door right now...c'est la vie and that's a shame. You seem to be kinda bitter about the place, I just remember it as being seriously good fun...maybe your experience was different? fair enough.
    As for people paying 15 euro into gammy nightclubs? Thats their choice it shouldn't bother you at all,doesn't bother me.As long as they enjoy themselves isn't that all that should matter?.Anyway its just your opinion the same people may not like your places, choice of music etc.Make your own fun:D

To repeat exactly what I said in the previous post..." If that's what people are into fair enough, I'm defo not a snob! Just thought I'd clarify what I meant and qualify my dislike of both places!....they don't call these clubs 'cattlemarts' for no good reason!"

Believe me, I couldn't give a flyin feck where people go in Galway, I hav'nt even mentioned what music I like!..I am allowed to have an opinion though and I've certinly not shoved it down anyone's throat!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 poshie

anyone remember downstairs in vagabonds years ago? Dead Kennedys and smashed glasses.Shots for a quid.great days.saw australian nirvana there too..

You forget to mention the three magic words 'in my opinion'.... My point is that people were going to listen to music, or at least 90% of the people I knew going there were. Whatever you made of the club itself, it attracted some pretty big names in dance music back then, that is something you see pretty rarely in any clubs in Galway these days, getting people into clubs to buy over-inflated prices for drink is more cost-effective than getting a good act through the door right now...c'est la vie and that's a shame. You seem to be kinda bitter about the place, I just remember it as being seriously good fun...maybe your experience was different? fair enough.

To repeat exactly what I said in the previous post..." If that's what people are into fair enough, I'm defo not a snob! Just thought I'd clarify what I meant and qualify my dislike of both places!....they don't call these clubs 'cattlemarts' for no good reason!"

Believe me, I couldn't give a flyin feck where people go in Galway, I hav'nt even mentioned what music I like!..I am allowed to have an opinion though and I've certinly not shoved it down anyone's throat!

Biiter:confused: I had some brilliant nights in the place ,i think you are taking me up wrong dude.Im just being honest with what the place was like.Regular drug busts in a club in all fairness isn't exactly "great craic",each to their own i guess.

poshie wrote: »
    anyone remember downstairs in vagabonds years ago? Dead Kennedys and smashed glasses.Shots for a quid.great days.saw australian nirvana there too..

Spent many a night down there.I remember when they would open the door to outside it was like dry ice with all the smoke pouring out:D
    Judeth the girl on the cloakroom, i say i used to wreck her head with my ****e talk at the end of the night.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 poshie

yeah that backdoor was class.as far as i remember the dancefloor was the size of a stamp and there was a big pillar beside it where you could conveniently snot your face when you were rockin' out..
    :D

poshie wrote: »
    yeah that backdoor was class.as far as i remember the dancefloor was the size of a stamp and there was a big pillar beside it where you could conveniently snot your face when you were rockin' out..
    :D

Yeah you could fit about 3 people on the dance floor.The toilets were not much bigger.I never went to McPeaks though much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Ah Vagabonds, best club ever, spent so much of my teeanage years and early 20's there.
    I remember 'Naked' in there, same DJ, can't remember his name, was still at it up to a few years ago, think it was in the Vic and/or Cuba.

Downstairs was a bit more metal, was called Club Shamrock or somethin'?

Anyone remember the Alcohol Asassin in Vagabonds, he had a water gun, but it was filled with vodka & orange juice me thinks.
    The girls selling shots of Tequila in those urine sample containers for a £1. Ah the good old days....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

man i lived in the castle for years. I'd say i saw 3 maybe 4 fights ever in there. The place was manky , but i had some great nights in there. 1 pound for bottle of bud. youd be locked. Some of the best dj's at the time played there. Andy weterhall, carl cox, justin robertson. Buses used to come up from sir henrys in Cork ffs. I made some gret friends in there. It would take 20 mins to go the toilet cause you 'd be shaking hands with some many on the way. Happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Warwick is alright at times. For an older crowd generally and you tend to get lots of Galway locals there so you're sure to bump into someone you know. Music hasn't changed there in 10 years though.

Quite like Halo on a Friday. Gets a good crowd but not crazy busy. Saturday nights there are a write-off though. You have to Q early and the place is just mobbed. Got sick of all the hassle of going there on a Saturday night.

De Burgo's is quite good. Small but the music is good.

Haven't been to the GPO in years. Used to be fairly regular there and enjoyed it at the time but yeah it does get more than its fair share of skangers.

Haven't been to CP's in years either but sure everyone knows what CP's is like.

Haven't been in Cuba in years.

Have never been to Karma.

Had some great nights in Vagabonds back in the day though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

buckie wrote: »
    frenchies

christ that brings back memories of youth discos back in the day ha ha...

in my opinion it would prob be pi or kennedy's they are both woeful places, but in fairness all clubs in galway are sheetholes like!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

kmick wrote: »
    Lads dont feel so bad. The clubs in Cork are dreadfula s well. Dublin is marginally better as there are more of them but still rather poor. Late bars are the way of the future.

ya this is true but they are becoming increasingly louder thus more like clubs, the whole point of going to a late bar as regards to a club is to chat to people as regards to getting hammered or going on the pull(from a guys perspective of course)

Advertisement