Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best Night club in Dublin

Options
  • 16-11-2007 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

which one night club is the best in Dublin in your opinion?:o

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Whelans. Village can be fun too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

its a toughy on a sat night, anywhere in temple bar really but as for a thursday and a sunday its gotta be the plaza in tallaght!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Sorry i have to say coppers before someone gets there ahead of me.

Simply the place to be. Used to be the palace but it's gone downhill. Coppers all the way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

lordgoat wrote: »
    Sorry i have to say coppers before someone gets there ahead of me.

Unless everyone on this site is a 19 year old DIT student or a nurse from Galway I doubt it very much. The place is a dive. I dont even find it all that easy to pull despite its rep *

Red Box used to be excellent, since the renovation the music is cheese and the volume is way too low.

Zanzibar is a good enough spot. Nice birds (though you might need a Polish phrasebook :D ), great house and electro type tunage, and pitchers of Fosters for about a tenner.

Tramco is unbelieveably, shockingly disgracefully poor.

*though I did one drunken night leave a gaff in Drumcondra general area at around 5am in the depth of winter, I hadnt a clue even what area I was in, i worked it out by calling 11811 and reading a street name i saw. Was left to find my way out of what seemed like an endless estate before i finally got to somewhere i recognised, that main road between Ballymun and Phibsboro. Spent ages waiting on a yellow light to appear on the horizon and drive me home, nearly froze to death.

So yeah, basically Coppers nul pwant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

Jesus I hate coppers. anywhere that plays 'ooh ahh up the ra' makes me sick. Does anyone from Dublin actually go there? I dont hate people who arent from Dublin or anythin, but it'd be nice not to be the only one!

totally agree redbox was good. Bondi in stillorgan was always good for cheap drink and a bit of a laugh, until it 'relaxed' its door policy.

There really are a lack of decent clubs in Dublin though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭giddyup

Hollywood Nights - here endeth the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

After Hours forum?
    BR!

Jesus I hate coppers. anywhere that plays 'ooh ahh up the ra' makes me sick. Does anyone from Dublin actually go there? I dont hate people who arent from Dublin or anythin, but it'd be nice not to be the only one!

totally agree redbox was good. Bondi in stillorgan was always good for cheap drink and a bit of a laugh, until it 'relaxed' its door policy.

I dunno, the only redeeming features about Coppers is the craic you have when Put Em Under Pressure, Dirty Old Town, Athenry and Maniac 2000 come on :) Oh, and they seem to let you in with a rake of drink in you (I ended up there in 06 after a Dublin match, i was steaming drunk on my way in, never mind the end of the night). Apart from that, the music is cock and the women arent the best. Where did the Slapper Face thing come from, Im the only person i can think of I know that went back to a gaff (and she was rough wiping your arse with sandpaper, it was January a few years back and i was polluted and freezing cold :confused:).

21s is decent enough I guess. They play it fairly safe with chart music but they spin a few dance classics on occasion (No Good by Prodigy, when it came on one night the bouncer pulled me off the floor and into a corridor to look in my eyes, he thought i was off my head on yips :D Nothin but beer and WKD in me, its just that tune is compulsory floor destruction :) ). Gorgeous birds in the place and all, not the hardest place to get stuck in, their student nights are probably the only really good ones in town.

Club M aint bad, probably the best dancefloor/lighting in town.

Barcode....meh. Tunes are ok, but its full of drunken student knobs meaning

a- No respect in terms of moving through the place somewhat easily

b- At least one drink will be robbed off you in the night while you are on th floor

Volume could b a bit louder too. Expand the dancefloor, higher up the volume and get rid of the pool tables and arcade, its just a distraction (love a game of pool myself, and ive spent many a drunken night after Heaven in Blanch shooting up the arcades and foolish attempts to shake money out of the 1 euro push more coins down betting game, but theres a time and a place for all that, and it aint while the tunes are playing)

Redz: again, low volume, even lower ceilings. Im not even tall and ive whacked my knuckles off the ceiling during a song or two.

Only been in the Village once, last bank hol Sunday into Monday, was quite a good night, i was surprised as i always assumed it was some type of indie club, but it was all dance and hip hop upstairs and, if you fancied it, a bit of chart rock and karaoke downstairs, good spot (anywhere that played House of Pain Jump Around twice in one night between its two floors surely deserves a toast :D )

Ever notice how the worst clubs seem to be the most popular? Queues outside Coppers go halfway up the road. Ditto Barcode. Was out the Friday after the recent bank hol in Zanzibar, the tunes were brilliant. Problem was the place was only maybe 70% full, and the clientele was mostly lads, and most of the few birds there were with their man on the night.

Oh, and there does be some Asian trannys there quite regularly. Watch yourself lest we se a Franco Begbie own goal again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,870 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Hell yeah! :D But only when horribly drunk. Sure it stays open later than pretty much anywhere else so why not? Can be a bit of a laugh with all the mingin culchie girls in GAA jerseys.

Club M(ILF) is good for the hen parties and that.

Anyone ever venture out to Heaven in Blanch or the Stickyfloortex in Dunshaughlin? Skanger holes if ever there was one but hreat fun!

As said there's feck all good clubs in Dublin so it's more about what you make of it rather than the venue being good.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Anyone ever venture out to Heaven in Blanch or the Stickyfloortex in Dunshaughlin? Skanger holes if ever there was one but hreat fun!

Ever been to the Jolly Toper in Finglas? It makes Heaven look like Lillies in terms of clientele. Went there as we were chasing two birds at the time we had met at a party on the south circular, and jesus christ what a place. To top it off we were there when, of all people, Aslan were gigging for a few hours before the DJ came on :D Nothing but Ben Shermans and alot of jaws twitching/noses running, and the same type of feeling a GI patrolling in Fallujah must feel in terms of "jaysus its gonna kick off soon". Nearly certain they dont serve drinks in glass there.

According to my mate he got threatened by a gang of his girls ex`s mates and called on me for backup. I was absoloutely mindless drunk having arrived fairly well on and then downing double vodkas all night and apparently would have been as much use defending as Titus Bramble :p I wouldnt set foot in there again if Shakira herself got on the text and said her and Rihanna were heading down tonight to drink themselves into an Ill Take Anything state. Awful awful place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I used to ****ing hate coppers, with a passion. The place has become ridiculously popular with UCD students this year and i've found the place to be a bit more tolerable...and you rarely see people with GAA jerseys on there anymore. The standard of lasses is decent enough now. Also it being open later than anywhere else and almost guaranteed to get in (no matter what state you're in) are bis plus points.. Oh, it also has the Harcourt Diner just around the corner :)

was in 21s last night and been a few times before, really like the place. Double vodka red bulls 6.50 - bargain!

Palace is still decent enough, prefer going there at weekends and i like the fact that theres a place upstairs thats a bit quieter and you can have a game of pool too.

Used to go to Bondi EVERY single week 3 years ago but got sick of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,870 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Yeah a big +1 for the Palace. Definitely the best place to go in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

When I lived in Dublin, I loved the Palace. Dreadful music but cheap drink and a good crowd always ensured a good night. I used to venture to the Temple Theatre a bit but in the days leading up to its demise, it really went downhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Hollywood nights..the memories:)...Coppers is a dive but i always tend to go there...I usually head out tuesday or wednesday night.Its the only consistant busy place 7 nights a week.That place has made a fortune over the years.(oh yea im from Dublin).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Tripod best variety and always good for a nite out thou expensive when it not a promo nite thou. plaza on thurs onli an option if ya live in tallaght and dont wanna fork out for a taxi home from town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 MissEve

and what do yous think bout Spirit or Zandzibar ?:) do yous think is good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

Spirit used to be good. until about three years ago. Now its absolutely terrible. bad music, bad crowd.

Zanzibar is a bit of a club/bar, its not quite sure what it is. Not bad for takin it easy though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I hated Spirit. Everything about it was too pretentious - from the doormen to the decor and music.

yeah spirit is bollocks now

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Teller

No votes for Krystal yet I see! :D

• Advertisement

MissEve wrote: »
    and what do yous think bout Spirit or Zandzibar ?:) do yous think is good?

Do you work for them or something? :)

Spirit, ack, its okay. Havent been in over a year now. Bouncers are (or were) awful **** though. I remember one Thursday, was questioned at the door for a good minute, really talked to, when were ya last here etc etc. He then asked had I been in a row there a few weeks back, before the other dude interrupted him and said "no its not your man, I thought it was him as well" and let us in (presumably some strikingly handsome young lad was causing a ruckus there and me bearing striking resemblence set the alarm off :p )

The point of the story being that after having been quizzed like it was US airport immigration, 20 mins later there were some lads newly arrived in. All 4 were in tracksuits, skangery looking, clearly off their tits, jaws goin mad, and one was drinkin a can of dutch on the side. And the bouncers gave ME hassle? wtf :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

£2 a drink in the palace circa 2001. so so very drunk.
    there was this one deadly niteclub up beyond o connell street called B-52's or something was there 2/3 times for some dance nights, good stuff.

cba with most clubs now as they are just a rip off to listen to some jerk play his ipod (whelans) while the bar rips you off (everywhere!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 MissEve

Im not working in club just intresed what you think about clubs:) Do any of youse knows "Time" ?

heard nothing bud bad things about it....student views by the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

worst place has to be level four in tallght talk bout a hole and that jus talkin bout the people that go there beats the stickyfloortex to the true name of stciky floor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭'Ol Jack Chance

MissEve wrote: »
    Do any of youse knows "Time" ?

yeah what a rip off. been once and that was enough! wouldnt be pushed on clubbing zanzibar is cool or upstairs in doyles does be good of a friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Spirit used to be good. until about three years ago. Now its absolutely terrible. bad music, bad crowd.

Zanzibar is a bit of a club/bar, its not quite sure what it is. Not bad for takin it easy though.

I remeber Zan when it opened as a Cheesye night club, I have heard adds on the Radio recently for David Sanchez.

Have they rebranded now? Is it any good? I may consider it Sat night with the lads if it has changed.....

cheers

Its nearly the only club in town that avoids chart cheese. Id recommend it as worth a look compared to the usual dives.

Unsre if its on Sat, but on Friday a pitcher of Fosters is only a tenner or roundabouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 burdon

Just read the start of this thread and in response

the redbox now tri pod is really quite a good laugh.
    the last two times i was in zanzibar the place was crawling with asian trannies.

I know its not a club but i really love the wool shed. Great crowd from all over the world and the drink is quite resonably priced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

burdon wrote: »
    the last two times i was in zanzibar the place was crawling with asian trannies.

:confused::eek::eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement