Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving Test in Automatic

Options
  • 16-11-2007 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

My wifes car just died and she has her driving test next week. I have an automatic which she could use.
    Does she need to tell the test centre before the day of the test that she is doing it in an auto or can she just turn up.
    Any advice would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

Hey man,
    Problem is, If you do a test in an automatic car and you pass your licence is only valid on automatic cars and not manual ones.

If she cent get her car fixed maybe rent a car for the day or something thats manual.
    Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

okmqaz42 wrote: »
    My wifes car just died and she has her driving test next week. I have an automatic which she could use.
    Does she need to tell the test centre before the day of the test that she is doing it in an auto or can she just turn up.
    Any advice would be great.

She can just turn up in the auto but as Dr says if she passes, licence will be restricted to auto. Also she may not be comfortable or familiar in the auto. Prob worth trying get a loan of a manual and driving it for a day or 2, or, AFAIK, a driving instructor will rent out a car for the test, not sure if a car rental company will give a car out to a provisional licence holder.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Yup, as the others have said, should she pass, she may only apply for a restricted Driving Licence. The number '78' will be stamped on it to identify her to a Garda as being restricted to autos.

Should she wish to act as an accompanied driver in the future, she can only do so for a Learner Permit holder in an automatic car.

Also if she passes the test and at some time in the future wishes to do a manual test she will be required to obtain a Learner Permit and be accompanied while she driving a manual car.

There is no need to inform the test centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

as a matter of interest whats the penalty for driving a manual with an automatic licence ? is there points, a fine etc. ? and if anyones ever been pulled over in this situation has a garda ever noticed ?

im doin my test in an automatic (no manual cars in my house) i dont really think its a necessity anymore, automatic's new and 2nd hand are cheap enough anyway also your legs dont get f***ed up driving round town 5 days a week

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

as a matter of interest whats the penalty for driving a manual with an automatic licence ? is there points, a fine etc. ?
    2 penalty points on payment of a Fixed Charge, 5 penalty points on a court conviction.

I'm not sure if driving an unrestricted vehicle with a restricted licence is a common offence though.
    i dont really think its a necessity anymore, automatic's new and 2nd hand are cheap enough anyway
    Perhaps in your case but it is limiting if you are required to drive someone elses car or drive a car provided by an employer etc.

In larger vehicles, it can limits one's job prospects. For example, most Dublin Bus and Bus Eireann drivers are restricted to autos as they did their test in an automatic bus. Many private bus operators would be unwilling to employ them as they would not be suitable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement