Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Acer Aspire 3694WLMi, Ubuntu Gutsy can't get Atheros wifi card workin........Help

• 16-11-2007 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

Got a new laptop for work yest (link) & immediately wiped Vista & installed Ubuntu Gutsy but i've not managed to get wi-fi card goin. No wireless adapter shows up under admin/network. oscarBravo talked me through a few things last nite & it shows up as an Atheros (can't rem the exact model no) wifi card. I've restrictive drivers enabled in the repository but its still not working. I've installed ndisgtk to try to install windows drivers for it but the funny thing is that the laptop gets no mention on the list of products on www.acer.com so i've no idea what exact wi-fi card it is.

Can some1 tell me the command again to scan the pci bus so I can at least put a name on this device to help me wth my googling.

Is there any way of getting it going without the windows driver?

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Pog.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Anyone got any advise, been reading up on this, seems alot peeps have probs with Atheros wifi

Ok, lspci gives me that its
    05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5006EG 802.11 b/g Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I can't give you an answer but the advice on this thread looks like it at least has potential. Including the links to the relevant steps....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,862 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I'm using openSUSE 10.3 on a Macbook which has an Atheros wifi chipset. There is Atheros support in openSUSE but not for my particular chipset yet. I had to go to the madwifi.org site and download and compile the latest build. If you go that route, you will also need to recompile madwifi after each kernel update. It's not at all hard though, just follow the instructions.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

Ok,

Got it working after alot of googling. Had to disable the restricted driver & use ndiswapper to use the windows driver. Only problem is that it works for WEP but not for WPA. Need WPA as well as my mam, brther & most of my mates use WPA. Anyone got any ideas?

Also got an email back from Acer saying that the specs of this laptop are the same as the Aspire 3690, which is listed on their website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

No no dont use ndiswrapper. use madwifi!

Ubuntu ships madwifi in the restricted component, which is enabled in the default install. Madwifi chipsets should therefore ‘just work’. Mine didn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,862 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

:rolleyes: Maybe your eyes glazed over when I mentioned "Mac" but it's an Atheros wifi chipset running under Linux - so is yours.
    It's possible that the version of madwifi shipped in your distro doesn't support your chipset, so give the latest build a try. Look up the exact chipset type on the madwifi site.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

Gonna have a go @ madwifi now, this ndiswapper not workin right. Cant always connect for some strange reason.

Madwifi didn't work, back using windows driver with ndiswapper. Don't really matter cos network card in laptops on the blink & we gonna rma it. Drivin me mad checkin whether light is on or not & i gotta plug in & out 20 times a day. Will have identical new laptop 2morro 2 install ubuntu on & gonna change wifi card on new one b4 i wipe Vista & install Ubuntu. That should sort it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement