Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serious Noise Problems with Affordable House

Options
  • 16-11-2007 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hello Forum,

Been moved into my new affordable home for a few months now and everything is great, apart from the fact that every single movement of my neighbours above is like an earthquake in my apartment. Some say its cause they've wooden floors , others say its cause there timber framed apartments and the impact noise won't be greatly reduced even if they remove their floors and put down carpet. I'm about to initiate contact with the council over the issue and some kind of resolution. Has anyone had any similar problems ? How did you deal with it ? Did you get it sorted?

Any information much appreciated . Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Electric

Not the same situation but when my friend bought her first house she had the same problems with noise. It was a 3 bed semi but my god you could hear everything. It used to freak her out at night because the footsteps were so loud you would be convinced there was someone in the house.

Anyway long story short the house next door was rented and the landlord just wasn't interested. She got her side of the walls sound proofed. Essentially wooden battons were placed on her wall and then plaster board was placed over them the gap was filled with some sound insulating material (don't have a clue as to what). The net effect was that the sound was really reduced. The only downside was that she lost about 2-3 inches of space along the common walls.

But it made life easier.

Would it be possible to drop your ceilings in a similiar way? Are the ceilings sufficiently high that 2-3 inches could be taken off?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Definitely bring it up with the council and builder, sooner rather than later.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

To be honest, the fact that its an affordable house is neither here nor there- most houses that have been recently built have serious noise issues. Building codes changed back in the early 90's, allowing a single cinder wall be designated as soundproofing between properties (which I assure you, it simply is not).

I would seriously advise that you dig out a copy of your lease though- normally in apartment style buildings they specify what flooring materials have to be used in the different apartments- i.e. in mine a carpet or rug of at least 2.5mm depth has to be on the ground floor and ceramic tiling is expressely forbidden. I imagine that your lease probably has similar clauses in it- which are something that you could hit the owner of the unit above you with......

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭jgoodman05

Unfortunately Electric the ceilings are quite low , taking 2-3 inches off would make it like the 1/2 floor in Being John Malkovich. The lease makes some very vague note about floors must be to the specification of the Property Management company but fails to give any specifications. I mentioned that the apartment was purchased on the Affordable Housing Scheme as I'm unsure as to how and in what order to contact the Council, Property Management Company and Builders respectively. I hoped someone may have been through the same situation and have some tips. Thanks for the help, fingers crossed I can get it sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 jamie5

hi j,

I too recently purchased an apartment on the Affordable Housing scheme and am having the same problem.
    There are small children upstairs and sometimes I think that they are going to come through the ceiling, its really upsetting as I really love the apartment.
    I have tried to speak to the people upstairs but am not really getting very far and to be honest I don't want to start falling out with people so early on.
    I have been doing a little research on soundproofing my ceiling but have not yet got much info in regards to effectiveness, cost etc.
    I have been advised by people to speak to the builders/council but I am having various other problems:leaks,immersion not working, heating, leak in the hallway and I have not had much luck in getting any resolution for these so I doubht they'll even bother with this.

Have you had any more luck in getting this sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

On this - is there any way to determine the level of sound-proofing of a house/apartment before you buy? I hate noise leaking in from other places when I'm renting but it'd be a nightmare to find it after you've handed over the next 30 years of your life.

In practice, go up stairs and throw a tantrum and go next door and bang on the walls.

Or you could spend €500 on a sound engineer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭jgoodman05

Hello jamie5,

Yeah I approached neighbours , but to no avail, have been on to the council, to no avail, property management company have talked about getting them to put rugs down in the worse spots, which is unlikely to happen. I'm not sure what my next move is , sometimes I think I can just put up with it but then I'm woken up in the morning just by them walking around, or sit through what sounds like the ceiling collapsing as they walk round their siiting room. Not sure what to do at the minute. Any developments with your situation , please let me know. Do your neighbours have wooden floors , do you think thats the main problem, if they had carpret do you think it would improve significantly?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

smccarrick wrote: »
    To be honest, the fact that its an affordable house is neither here nor there- most houses that have been recently built have serious noise issues. Building codes changed back in the early 90's, allowing a single cinder wall be designated as soundproofing between properties (which I assure you, it simply is not). ...

There really should be more regulation about sound pollution. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

BostonB wrote: »
    There really should be more regulation about sound pollution. :(

There is! Laws were brought in quite some time ago regarding sound insulation in new apartments and houses.

You should speak to the council and find out if the builder ignored this law. He could be in quite a bit of trouble if he did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Lack of sound-proofing is definitely one of the characteristics of the building frenzy. I'm not sure if the requirements are insufficient, or if builders just ignored them (I suspect the latter).

In our apartment we had trouble again with kids living above us. I think something was done after complaints to the Mgt Co., as it died down. But I think the family have moved on now. Nevertheless, I can hear my neighbours on either side of me very easily if I leave my room(s) in silence, even to the point where I can tell what they're saying.

Of possible interest- I posted this previously, its to do with Noise Nuisance.

Shane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭MrVostro

get something that makes lots of noise, like a drill. Attach it to your ceiling and whenever things go quiet upstairs let it rip.
    Let it rip at regular intervals during the night and all day when you are at work.

Attach it in such a way that the vibrations go right through to upstairs.

They will soon feel your pain.

MrVostro wrote: »
    get something that makes lots of noise, like a drill. Attach it to your ceiling and whenever things go quiet upstairs let it rip.
    Let it rip at regular intervals during the night and all day when you are at work.

Attach it in such a way that the vibrations go right through to upstairs.

They will soon feel your pain.

Wow, *that's* a mature suggestion :rolleyes:

The OP never said they were causing excessive noise, its the way the apartments are constructed that is the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭MrVostro

eth0_ wrote: »
    Wow, *that's* a mature suggestion :rolleyes:

The OP never said they were causing excessive noise, its the way the apartments are constructed that is the problem.

He said he got no help from the neighbours.

People should be respectful of others right to peace and quiet.

Sometimes thats what it takes to get it.

MrVostro wrote: »
    He said he got no help from the neighbours.

What do you expect them to do? It's a bit unfair to expect them to pay for insulation, or to put a carpet down. The builder should be held responsible imo.

eth0_ wrote:
    The builder should be held responsible imo.

In many cases the lack of insulation between units is inherently recognised in the leases- where it often specifies that carpet of at least a certain thickness must be laid in certain room, ceramic tiles are not allowed- etc. etc. Compliance with a stipulation such as that is a matter for the Management Company to enforce, not the builder.

To be honest- apartments are quite literally on top of each other- there is a degree of inevitability regarding noise and noise pollution. You are entitled to expect to live there without a constant ongoing problem however. Masonry drilling late at night, loud base music, televisions on at a high volume- these are all the sorts of things that you are entitled to expect protection from. Someone listening to the tv at a reasonable volume, holding a conversation, walking around opening and closing doors in an adjacent apartment- are not. I can clearly hear meetings that occur in the offices next door to me on one side- or when our neighbours are having a party or sex or going to the bathroom- on the other side. Its why I intend to move as soon as the property market stabilises. It is however a fact of life (no pun intended).

What I would seriously advise the OP to do is get a copy of their lease that they signed when they purchased the property it will most probably have a section on noise pollution- and in conjunction with their lease have a little look at the short word document I posted here- between the two documents you will get an idea of what is considered allowable, and what is not- and how to proceed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭janmc

jgoodman05 - it might be worth posting this in Construction & Planning, because as someone else commented, there are regulations that a builder/architect must comply with with regard to acoustics. I'm not in work so can't check at the moment. Good luck.

How come apartments and houses built before the past ten years tend to have no problems with noise insulation?

It's just assh0le builders skimping on costs, putting up crappy stud walls to save money. It should not be allowed, IMO.

A friend of mind lives in an apartment that is pretty much sound proof. I think it has concrete floors and walls. I assume that most of these apartments and houses have sound problems due to construction methods that were used. I don't think you should have to rely on flooring and insulation to soundproof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

smccarrick wrote: »
    To be honest, the fact that its an affordable house is neither here nor there- most houses that have been recently built have serious noise issues. Building codes changed back in the early 90's, allowing a single cinder wall be designated as soundproofing between properties (which I assure you, it simply is not).

S.
    How come apartments and houses built before the past ten years tend to have no problems with noise insulation?

It's just assh0le builders skimping on costs, putting up crappy stud walls to save money. It should not be allowed, IMO.

They are compling with building codes, the codes are crap.

It's similar to energy rating for houses, that was supposed to have been in years ago. But a few brown envelopes allowed the builders to keep making baddly insulted houese that people will have to pay a fortune to heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

BostonB wrote: »
    A friend of mind lives in an apartment that is pretty much sound proof. I think it has concrete floors and walls. I assume that most of these apartments and houses have sound problems due to construction methods that were used. I don't think you should have to rely on flooring and insulation to soundproof.

They aren't relying on flooring to insulate sound. It's that some types of floor allow sound to pass through easier. Loads of people are putting down wooden floors, these are noisey and thats why they are banned. My parents neighbours put down wooden floors, we never heard anything from them for 30+ years but now when our house is quite you can hear them walking around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

I think it's layers and more importantly cavities between the layers that gives you the sound insulation. Solid concrete no matter how thick wont give you insulation of sound.

Oh there did have problems. However, terraces and apartments are now making up more of the market compared to the previous love of semi-detached and detached houses.
    I think it's layers and more importantly cavities between the layers that gives you the sound insulation. Solid concrete no matter how thick wont give you insulation of sound.
    It depends on the type of sound. Some sounds are easily carried by air. Some are easily carried by solid materials.

With 200mm of concrete, you won't hear a conversation on the other side. You will most certainly a kango.

So a concrete of a metre thick isn't going to have any effect on sound?
    Increasing the mass of a wall or a floor significantly improves the sound insulation of a room, provided all gaps are sealed. The high density of concrete provides a high level of sound insulation against both impact and airborne-sourced sounds such as voice, loudspeakers and musical instruments.

http://www.concretecentre.com/main.asp?page=1269

First of all- who in their right mind is going to have a meter of concrete- you could land a jumbo on it.......

In all fairness- timber can be everybit as good an insulation material, and a better structural material, than concrete. There has been a guerilla warfare between the concrete industry and the timber industry with each pushing the relative merits of their materials over the other for almost 20 years now. A temporary restraining order was placed on the concrete federation of Ireland from using the "Concrete built-is better built" slogan (since lapsed) in media advertising campaigns.

Obviously if you keep thickening any material it will be better at insulating than a thin layer. However- and the principle on which double glazed windows works, is that multiple layers can have the same effect as very thick layers- at a much reduced price. Cavity walls- *with* insulation, of either wood or concrete can be very effective- unfortunately that insulation is noticeably absent in a lot of recent constructions.

While I am not going to argue the relative merits of noise reduction- it costs significantly less (up to 30% less) to heat a wooden structured house with sufficient attic and wall insulation than it does a similar concrete structure- and for a much lower price.

Is concrete better than timber- is a debate that that will continue to go on for a long long time. Its certainly stronger when formulated properly- but each has their own place.

Other than yourself who is arguing concrete better than timber? :confused:

The point I'm making is that depth has an effect, patrickolee said it didn't. Having multiple layers as you say is simply a means to achieve what one thick layer achieves. So again that confirms that thick layers have an effect. Obviously its not practical or economical to have very thick layers. Unless you are using something like straw. But the problem these days is making claims that something like studded walls is the same as a thick block or concrete wall/floor if its done right. But then its not done right and all thats achieved is low cost and little or no sound isolation.

I did work on a project once where we built giant cold rooms, for storing food in a processing plant. We poured thick concrete floors about the size of a football pitch and had thick (6" or more) expanded polystyrene sheets layer in it. I think it might have used a few sheets deep, I can't remember now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Hi,
    Slightly off topic but is there a certain time at night when heavy banging and drilling has to stop?
    New neighbors have gutted the house next door and are driving us mad with the noise. I understand they have to get the house done but the heavy drilling (really intense) starts most nights at 8pm.
    I have a 4 month old baby boy and its scaring the Shi* out of him.
    I have asked them to knock in when they are going to be doing heavy stuff but they havent. I had a run in with them and they start saying "its not like it was late?"
    the point I was trying to make was that I had asked them to let me know when they were going to be drilling and doing heavy stuff.
    Not going to do anything more as I know they are well within their rights to do what they are doing.
    I was just wondering what the curfew time is and does it change on a Sunday?
    The neighbors said and I quote "Its not like that anymore, builders work on Sundays and late hours, it not like it was years ago when you had to stop at a certain time.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Sham.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/environment/environmental-protection/noise_regulations

A friend of mine had a some success with neighbours who played loud music very late. Had to bring them to court I think. I can't remember the specifics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

cheers for the reply.
    I am not thinking of bringing any action as they seem a nice couple.
    I was just curious (as a backup) to know if there is a specific time at night when work or heavy work should stop and was wondering what the story is on a Sunday.
    Surely there are still some laws on loud noise on a Sunday?
    God I feel like a grumpy old man posting this....

Advertisement