Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call charges from the USA

Options
  • 16-11-2007 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Just wondering, does it cost the call recipient at all if I call their Irish (eircom) land line from a land line in the USA?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

jebuz wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Just wondering, does it cost the call recipient at all if I call their Irish (eircom) land line from a land line in the USA?

Thanks.

Generally speaking there is no charge for calls to Irish geographic numbers imposed on the recipient.

Exceptions one can think of:

1) If the called party has diverted their incoming calls to another number (eg they are in Cape Town for the weekend, and have diverted their incoming traffic to a number in ZA)

2) They have a +800 number (i.e. in the US you would call 011 800 xxxx xxxx).

3) They have a +353 700 portable number.

4) If you originate a collect call, which the called party accepts!

.probe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

probe wrote: »

2) They have a +800 number (i.e. in the US you would call 011 800 xxxx xxxx).

Well this one may be a problem; I'm going to call using a pre-paid phone card where the freephone number is 1-800.....something something. Does this incur a charge then for my Irish recipient?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

jebuz wrote: »
    Well this one may be a problem; I'm going to call using a pre-paid phone card where the freephone number is 1-800.....something something. Does this incur a charge then for my Irish recipient?

1) If u are in Ireland and call a 1-800 number in Ireland, the called party pays for the call.

2) If u are in the US and call a 1-800 number to access a pre-paid calling service, the call cost is charged to your pre-paid calling card only. To be absolutely sure, the called number should be a geographic number in Ireland - ie +353 1x to +353 79 and +353 9x. Calls to +353 8x numbers in Ireland are charged at higher rates than landline because companies using this numbering space are licensed to do what they like and charge what they like, in return for certain consideration passing to certain parties. The surcharge would only apply to the called party while they were roaming outside IRL or had a call diversion in place.

The only charge risk with calls to geographic number ranges is if your called party has diverted their calls to another number.

3) If you are in the US and the Irish party has a US 1-800 number which terminates on an Irish landline, the called party will have to pay for the call. But a US 1-800 number is not an Irish landline number which is why I didn't include it in my earlier reply.

.probe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Ah I understand now, thanks for clearing that up probe, appreciate it.

Advertisement