Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ranges and Rifles

• 16-11-2007 10:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all. I'm based in Blessington, and there seem to be numerous clubs within an easy drive of here. My problem is, I'm not sure what would be the best to suit my needs. I'm mostly looking for somewhere to practise at weekends and times the college range won't be available to me. I shoot 10m air rifle and 25m smallbore rifle and would be interested in somewhere I could practise both of these. I'd also be interested in trying other, more sporting disciplines, such as silhouette, so would like somewhere all such styles are available. Hopefully someone will be able to help me narrow down my decision.

Secondly, should it prove prudent to acquire my own rifle, I'd like some opinions on what would be a good rifle to keep in practice for all disciplines. I was looking around and found the Anschutz 64 MP R Multipurpose. http://www.anschutz-sporters.com/index.php5?produktID=202&menu=173&sprache=1&produktShow=detail

This seems good to me, and I would consider splashing out on it if it would do me to practise for everything. Would anyone have any idea what I might pick one up for? Any other suggestions or help would be invaluable and much-appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Hi all. I'm based in Blessington, and there seem to be numerous clubs within an easy drive of here. My problem is, I'm not sure what would be the best to suit my needs. I'm mostly looking for somewhere to practise at weekends and times the college range won't be available to me. I shoot 10m air rifle and 25m smallbore rifle and would be interested in somewhere I could practise both of these. I'd also be interested in trying other, more sporting disciplines, such as silhouette, so would like somewhere all such styles are available. Hopefully someone will be able to help me narrow down my decision.

Very few other than Rathdrum do Air Rifle AFAIK. BRC don't, DRC don't (yet) and DTSC don't. Are you a member of DURC?
    Secondly, should it prove prudent to acquire my own rifle, I'd like some opinions on what would be a good rifle to keep in practice for all disciplines. I was looking around and found the Anschutz 64 MP R Multipurpose. http://www.anschutz-sporters.com/index.php5?produktID=202&menu=173&sprache=1&produktShow=detail

This seems good to me, and I would consider splashing out on it if it would do me to practise for everything. Would anyone have any idea what I might pick one up for? Any other suggestions or help would be invaluable and much-appreciated. Thanks.

Never a good idea to try and go for a compromise. The end result is it's not great for anything. That rifle would be too heavy for silhouette, would be good for sporter target and no good for ISSF target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Yeah, I'm in DURC. I'm looking for something just to keep myself familiar really. Keep myself shooting. I don't really have the funds to get a target rifle and an air rifle, so I think a compromise is about the best I could manage. Would that rifle keep me familiar with shooting and help me retain technique and such, even if it wouldn't be perfect or to the standard of club rifles?

I'd be fitting it with the same sights as on the club rifles by the by, just want to keep in practice and improve over holidays and the like.

Yeah, I'm in DURC. I'm looking for something just to keep myself familiar really. Keep myself shooting. I don't really have the funds to get a target rifle and an air rifle, so I think a compromise is about the best I could manage. Would that rifle keep me familiar with shooting and help me retain technique and such, even if it wouldn't be perfect or to the standard of club rifles?

Honestly? No. There's too much of a difference with the stock design for it to be really helpful. Some clubs have club rifles, so you shouldn't have to worry on that score anyway. Rathdrum have three target rifles (no good air rifles at the moment), so for .22 you shoudl be OK there.

Reason I ask, is that we have a very good rate for college shooters joining which a couple of your compadres have already taken up. PM me and I'll give you the details....

If you want to try something else, we also do sporting rifle, benchrest, target pistol and air pistol.

PM sent. Cheers.

PM sent back :D

'It wasn't me' has been and visited already :eek:

There's a lad with enthusiasm :D

• Advertisement

Or not much to do on a saturday afternoon. :p

'It wasnt me'
    Maybe if you ask down in DURC?

You are not the first shooter to have this problem so get in touch with Mike D or Killian and mention it to them.

And RRPC - stop poaching our members!!!

Ah, I'm not good enough to merit training in DURC over the summer and out of term, wouldn't bother them over it.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Well, I go in and train over the summer. When I can get another range officer to help I'll usually open it up to other members (provided they're looking for training time rather than coaching time (or at least, minimal coaching)). It's usually quite ad-hoc but in the third term let an RO know you're interested and hopefully we can arrange something.

Shooting over the other term breaks is less common because it tends to be harder to get multiple ROs into the range at the same time. We don't like opening the range to non-ROs unless there's at least 2 of us down there, for safety and security reasons.

Yeah, and as I live in Blessington, it's possibly as handy to shoot in Rathdrum.

• Advertisement

Whatever suits you best. Rathdrum's video games are very tempting and if I lived nearer to there I'd consider defecting myself. :)

Heh, not defecting, just finding somewhere to train and practise. I'm not in a position to compete for anyone for the time being.

IRLConor wrote: »
    Whatever suits you best. Rathdrum's video games are very tempting and if I lived nearer to there I'd consider defecting myself. :)
    It's not defecting. It's utilising pathways :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭2347

IRLConor wrote: »
    Rathdrum's video games are very tempting

What? :confused:

Rathdrum have Megalink electronic targets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭2347

Thanks I figured it wasn't actual "Video games" thanks for clearing that up

Advertisement