Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Art

Options
  • 16-11-2007 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭

Can someone explain to me what is involved in LC Art? I'm not artistically talented in the slightest, but it was recommended that I do art as I plan on a career in graphic design.

What is the portfolio about etC?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭RazielDoomgate

"I'm not artistically talented in the slightest"

but you want to have a career in graphic design????

you need to do the art history course (learning about past masters)
    painting
    2 life drawing
    graphic piece ( i did the poster)

portfolio is needed to apply to many of the colleges eg dit, ncad, crawford etc..
    it is your body of work youve done over the year or 2 years.. it should have at least 10 large (a1/a2) pieces a life drawing notbook and a few sketchbooks

it seems that this is not the best option for you. as it takes a large amount of time for jsut the lc art course and then the porfolio takes every bit of free time you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

As far as I can remember offhand, it goes as follows:

Art History, 2.5 hour exam, 37.5% of grade, sat in June (near end of). Consists of questions on European Art, Irish Art, and Art Appreciation. Three essays basically. You get 7 options in each of these and only have to do one, so you've got a fair bit of course. That said, the course is still madly long. Irish History goes from... about bronze age to present day, European art I THINK starts at the renaissance. Most people leave out chunks anyway.

Life Drawing.. don't know an awful lot about this, think it's two poses. Not sure.

Imaginative Composition/Still Life/Abstract - 2.5 hours, do a painting/whatever based on a starting point.

Craft Work/Design - Craft work is 5 hour exam (you get a break!), you can do stuff like the following: poster, puppetry, bookcraft, calligraphy, and whatnot. Design is 2.5 hours, I'm not doing it but I believe it's a similar idea but you have to design something as opposed to physically create it on the day.

You'll get the exam paper (not counting art history now) a week before the exams, it'll give you information such as: starting points for each of the possible craft/design things, starting point for painting yoke, what poses you'll have to deal with for the life drawing.

Portfolio is unrelated to the LC, but is necessary for most art colleges. You'll need to check out the individual college for what they look for. I'm currently making a portfolio and to my understanding it requries the following:

A number of sketchbooks showing development of ideas, kind of like visual diaries
    No more than 10 finished pieces
    The development thing is important, most people do their portfolio on a particular "theme", exploring and developing it with different media, different styles etc. You'll want to have a bit of life drawing/still life in there too I'd say, just show that you've got well rounded skills.

Also, for NCAD the portfolio is due on the 9th of February, IADT is 31st of March. I don't have DIT's on me but check their website, it's probably some time around then. So get cracking!

.. And now I must get back to slaving over my portfolio.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

"I'm not artistically talented in the slightest"

By that I mean I am no good with a pencil/paintbrush. Its not that I am not creative at all....

Advertisement