Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AXA Raheny 5 2008

• 16-11-2007 11:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭

Hi,
    The 2008 AXA Insurance Raheny 5 takes place on Sunday 27th January 2008.
    Pre-Entry Fee is €15 or €20 on the day.
    We also have two childrens races over 800 Meters for 8 -12 Year olds and 1 Mile for 13-16 Year Old
    Entry Fee to both is €5.

You can Pre-Enter at www.rahenyshamrock.com
    There is also full details available on the site.

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

great race love running it every year junior field was bit week last year must say but all in all a good day and good race

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Yeah great race all right would definitely recommend it to anybody who has never done it before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 runningbean

one of the best organised races in the country.what is the course record again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

just a reminder to you all.....not long left now!

Final Reminder to you all.

1 Week to go

Pre-entries have already hit the 1,000 mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Does anyone know is this chip timed. Also what is car parking like in the area?

I don't think it is chipped timed.

I was advised to park at the church. Apparently it is close to the start and can accommodate 500 cars.

Looking forward to the race now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

hawkwing wrote: »
    Does anyone know is this chip timed. Also what is car parking like in the area?

If in Dublin you could get the DART. Raheny 5 is a great race, well run, great stadium-like finish area, great PA with knowledge of all of the athletes. Its the way all races should be organised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

DaveH wrote: »
    Final Reminder to you all.

1 Week to go

Pre-entries have already hit the 1,000 mark.

Would it be handy enough register on the morning of the race?
    Say an hour early?

Also: I see they only recorded the top 500 home last year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭islandexile

I've decided to give this one a go.

As a newbie to the running world, I would be interested to know what ye seasoned campaigners do training wise on the week of a race? Do ye ease off the mileage or just do the mileage at a lower intensity? Would a Thursday night session signify the end of the training for a Sunday race or would ye recommend a light session closer to race day?

• Advertisement

Hi Everyone,
    I'll try and answer all your questions here.

First of all keep an eye on www.rahenyshamrock.com for updates. Final Race instructions will be posted there during the week.

In answer to your questions,
    The race is not chipped time, however we should have full results available on our website on Monday the 28th.
    with regard to rovers_runner. the full results are our website from last year. I think it is the way you are viewing the categories that you are only throwing up 500 returns.

Regarding Car Parking, There is limited car parking available in Raheny village, however there is a very big field expected in excesss of 2,000, so I recommend using public transport.
    Raheny Dart Station is in the middle of Raheny Village and only 5 mins walk to the race HQ.
    Also Raheny is serviced by Dublin Bus from Dublin City Center(i will get the buses for you all later).

With Regard entering the race,
    Pre-Entry Fee is €15
    Pre-Entries are available up to Mid-Night on Saturday January 26th.
    You can pre-entry via
    www.rahenyshamrock.com - paypal/Visa/Mastercard accepted
    or you can download the entry form from www.rahenyshamrock.com and post it to the address on the form with the pre-entry fee.
    Or you can drop into the AXA Insurance office in Raheny Village and enter there.
    Also The AXA Insurance Office in Raheny Village will be open from 10am to 4pm on Saturday January 26th for pre-entries.

You can also enter on the day until 2pm for €20.

If you have any other questions please ask. You can email rahenyshamrock@hotmail.com with any other questions.

I will do my very best to answer on the board and via email, please allow that this is a very busy week.

cheers
    Dave

DaveH,
    Thanks for the reply, sorry I worded that wrong earlier.
    I was looking through the results but it only has times for the first 500 in the male senior category.
    http://www.rahenyshamrock.com/r5/sm/SeniorMen1Page9.html

Will the complete list of times be recorded along with the positions ?

I hope so cos i have no hope of doing 3600,hoping to break 40 minutes:(

hawkwing wrote: »
    I hope so cos i have no hope of doing 3600,hoping to break 40 minutes:(

Same boat as yourself hawkwing :D

So I guess your time will only be counted if you break 35 mins then ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Dave,
    How're the goody bags coming along?:D

And what's the weather forecast? 12degrees, dry, tailwind all the way round, with a mild earthquake shortly before race start to flatten the hill at the 4mile would be great.;)

Seriously though, best race of the year.

Dave,
    How're the goody bags coming along?:D

And what's the weather forecast? 12degrees, dry, tailwind all the way round, with a mild earthquake shortly before race start to flatten the hill at the 4mile would be great.;)

Seriously though, best race of the year.

Ah the goodie Bags...what can I say :), I will unoffically confirm their will be goody bags for finishers this year...and officailly confirm that all finishers in the 5 mile race recieve a plaque and in the two juvenille race's finishers get a medal.

As for Rovers Runner question. I will have to get a honest answer, as far as I know there should be full times available.

If you keep an eye on www.rahenyshamrock.com I'll post the race instructions either tomorrow night or friday. That includes all the city center busses to Raheny(sorry dont have it on me at the moment)

cheers

Thanks DaveH, I'll do my best to make it, fair play to ye though for the organisation as this is the only run between the Aware 10K / BHAA 10K and the BUPA run in Dublin for middle distance.

Dave,tried to pay online but keep getting "problem with seller's email" and it does not go through,anyone else having problems?

hi,
    If your having any problems can you email me please,

dave_hooper2000@hotmail.com

im going to be checking my email a lot between now and tomorrow night

The last entry i recieved was at 17.40

thanks
    Dave

• Advertisement

just managed to pay now,i presume we just print off the receipt and bring it to registration as there is no race number:confused:

If you've pre-entered just bring yourself. Just to remind you, pre-entries close at midnight tonight.

There is late entries tomorrow from 1pm to 2.30 for €20.

thanks

Very enjoyable race and very well organised. Was very happy with the generous goody bag,better than the adidas race series.Not quite sure where the start line was so timing was difficult but managed 3934 by my timing,1 min better than my adidas 5 and i have finally broken the cursed 40minute barrier after a slow start!!Well done to all involved :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Great conditions. Great race. Thanks Raheny.

1st Vinny Mulvey Raheny
    2nd Brian Maher ?Kilkenny
    3rd ?Cillian O'Leary Rahney
    4th Sergiy Tureau Clonliffe
    5th
    6th Bernard Roe Raheny

8 under 25mins I think.

Ladies
    1st Maria McCambridge

Thanks Raheny an absolute brilliant promotion as usual.

Car parking was ample (I parked in the Church as instructed).

Kids races were entertaining as was the commentary.

Course was great. I was hoping to run close to 28 minutes so I stayed close to the front so I didn't get held up at all.

Local crowd got out and cheered.
    Atmosphere was superb.
    Goody bag kept me very busy on the M50 on the way home.
    And to top it all weather was brilliant & I ran about 30 seconds faster than I had hoped

Well worth the 15 euro. I much prefer to run races such as this then some of the other larger more expensive road races.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

Well worth the 15 euro. I much prefer to run races such as this then some of the other larger more expensive road races.

Well said Road Runner. You are right I ran in Raheny again today and again it was suberb. A credit to all in Raheny who are involved. It goes to show that you don't have to pay the exorbitant prices of the Connemara's and Bupa's to get a quality race.

Dave, have to hand it to you that was a brilliant race today.
    Atmosphere and weather were great, so this will be a permanent fixture in my calendar from now on and i'll be recommending it to everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭lizanne83

Agreed, absolutely smashing day… weather, moods, atmosphere and of course goody bag and post race eats! Yummy cad cream eggs and kit-kats were the perfect treat! Was very happy with a 33:10 mins as wasn’t as prepped as should have been. Really need to join a club to get some speed work as it’s much harder when always running on own. Anyone else find the same? My running sticky note for 2008 so far is:
    Raheny-5 today (Jan)
    Bupa great run 10k (April)
    Flora (women’s) 10k (June)
    Achill half-marathon (July)
    Berlin marathon (September)
    … if there’s any 10k’s in-between that anyone recommends please let me know? I list the above as a goal/self motivation to continue training. Find it challenging when on own. There’s no AC’s around the Naas area to join… and travelling to Celbridge/Dublin too far just to run. Any suggestions on how best to train or should I travel such distance just to run with a club?! Thanks

www.lizannebarnwall.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jamiekate

Hi,

I really enjoyed the race today, everyone said beforehand that it is a fast race. The goody bag was goody but I think there should have been water at the finish for the athletes.

Not being snotty here, but it is generally the first thing that is needed after a race. And today was very warm for january. If the liquids in the goody bag were the liquids on offer I think that Raheny should look at this aspect for next year. It was a really well organised race otherwise. Thanks to the Hooper clan who are obviously at the core of it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

There are more expensive races than this? The entry fees in some of these races is ridiculous. I got a prize in the Gerry Farnan XC last year and it was only a fiver more than I paid to enter. But at least you're getting a top quality field for that and it's still cheaper than the Raheny 5.

In the organisers' defence though you can't blame them for charging what people are willing to pay.

Advertisement