Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AXA Raheny 5 2008

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

cfitz wrote: »
    There are more expensive races than this? The entry fees in some of these races is ridiculous. I got a prize in the Gerry Farnan XC last year and it was only a fiver more than I paid to enter. But at least you're getting a top quality field for that and it's still cheaper than the Raheny 5.

In the organisers' defence though you can't blame them for charging what people are willing to pay.

cfitz, have you ever organised a race yourself ?

If not try and come up with a figure just to cover prize categories. Then take into account the money needed for race numbers, refreshments, changing facilities, first aid, advertisement etc etc

I can assure you the Gerry Farnan race and similar races run at a significant loss !

Some races may make money, but any profits usually go back into the organising club and their members and I have absolutely no problems with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

cfitz, have you ever organised a race yourself ?

If not try and come up with a figure just to cover prize categories. Then take into account the money needed for race numbers, refreshments, changing facilities, first aid, advertisement etc etc

I can assure you the Gerry Farnan race and similar races run at a significant loss !

Some races may make money, but any profits usually go back into the organising club and their members and I have absolutely no problems with that

Yes I have. I expect that from 30,000 Euro in entry fees (added to the AXA sponsorship) Raheny were not running at a loss. I'm not saying that Raheny shouldn't organise a race to raise massive profits for their club, I'm just questioning the value for money as a potential entrant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Yes I have. I expect that from 30,000 Euro in entry fees (added to the AXA sponsorship) Raheny were not running at a loss. I'm not saying that Raheny shouldn't organise a race to raise massive profits for their club, I'm just questioning the value for money as a potential entrant.

Shock & Horror - amateur athletic try and raise some badly needed funds with a very well organised road race.

There are too few of these races around for people to be knocking them. As already mentioned if a profit is made its all going back into the club. Jeez, this atitude sometimes in Ireland really annoys me, its not like they are pumping the profits into drug dealing or the chaiman of the club will be wheeling in next week in a BMW 3 Series. If you don't think its value for money, don't enter. The sport is too small for this type of begrudgery.

Massive profits ? I doubt it. I also doubt the axa sponsorship covered more than advertising and administration.

Want to give some more details about the race you organise ?
    I might enter it myself if the prizes are so good !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Tingle wrote: »
    Shock & Horror - amateur athletic try and raise some badly needed funds with a very well organised road race.

There are too few of these races around for people to be knocking them. As already mentioned if a profit is made its all going back into the club. Jeez, this atitude sometimes in Ireland really annoys me, its not like they are pumping the profits into drug dealing or the chaiman of the club will be wheeling in next week in a BMW 3 Series. If you don't think its value for money, don't enter. The sport is too small for this type of begrudgery.

Well said Tingle.
    cfitz you're entitled to his opinion but can you keep it seperate from an event that is well organized and helps to keep the sport going.

For example there are very few road races between now and the summer in the Dublin area.
    Malahide castle 5K
    City Centre 5K - paddys weekend
    BUPA run - 1st weekend in April

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭OldBloke

I dont think €15 is expensive for a good day out and cos im slow I do get the whole day out :) Broke 56 so I was happy.

Im glad there are more races coming up - any in February?

Big shout to Damien Martin of Raheny Shamrocks for always encouraging me at any race I enter and this was no different - at the 3 km mark he started to get me to pick up my feet and he was there at the end cheering me on - well done to Raheny Shamrocks - great bunch of people.

the BHAA (www.bhaa.ie) have 3 cross country races in February if that is of any interest.

I think 2 of them are 5 miles and one is 4 miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

mysport.ie and Slaney Olympic have a 10k on in Enniscorthy on the 17th February.

Massive profits ? I doubt it. I also doubt the axa sponsorship covered more than advertising and administration.

Want to give some more details about the race you organise ?
    I might enter it myself if the prizes are so good !

The last race I organised, the winners got an all expenses paid trip abroad.

any more details ?

• Advertisement

What begrudgery? There was nothing begrudging in anything I said. Please point out the begrudgery.

If my club organised events like the Raheny 5 I'd be delighted. But I'm still entitled to think that entry was overpriced. I never suggested that the event shouldn't be organised. Or that people shouldn't enter it. Just that I thought it was too expensive.

Some people here would want to take a step back and look out how they are reacting to a simple statement.

Kenyan trials? US Olympic trials?

What begrudgery? There was nothing begrudging in anything I said. Please point out the begrudgery.

If my club organised events like the Raheny 5 I'd be delighted. But I'm still entitled to think that entry was overpriced. I never suggested that the event shouldn't be organised. Or that people shouldn't enter it. Just that I thought it was too expensive.

Some people here would want to take a step back and look out how they are reacting to a simple statement.

Begrudgery in the sense that you seem to have a problem that Raheny have the get up to organise a race and make some money for their club (which is secondary to the main priority of organising a great race). Are you unhappy that they are making money for their club or are you unhappy that you have to pay so much? If its that you are too tight to pay the 15euro and not be in with a chance of an overseas trip then I apologise, but if its because Raheny have the gall to organise a top class event and charge through the teeth (the price of 3 pints for God's sake) then my original point is valid I'd reckon.

Don't do distance races but if I have to pay 100% or 200% over the odds to ensure the sport stays alive, I'll pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭OldBloke

Thanks for the Feb Races roadrunner - was looking for road races really but ill just have to wait until 1st March in Malahide.

Thanks again

No problem. Who is organising the race in Malahide castle ?

I think there is a 10 mile roard race this weekend or the following somewhere in Waterford !!!!
    I have a flyer at home so I'll post details if nobody gets in with the info before me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

I can see where cfitz is coming from with the prices for races. I raced the last two years in France and moved back to Dublin in September and was surprised to see that the races were at least 3 times the price. It's something I've got used to now but there's no way I'm paying 31 euro for the bupa 10k. High prices for marathons I understand but for a 10k?!

One of the biggest and best races I took part in while in France had some top marathoners running it from Italy, France and Kenya. A 24k race between two towns up and down some mountains - lovely stuff - and all for 12 euro! At the end of it all you got was sore legs and a top quality t-shirt (seriously, it was probably the only top quality t-shirt I got over there!).

The best thing I noted about all the races in France was that before every one of them there was always a kids race. For the most part race days were full family affairs - the kids would have their race and then the adults. I used be surprised how many kids used turn up and do them. Then again, the kids races were free. That's about the only thing I found odd about the Raheny race - you're going to pay 15 euro in every race in Dublin, you may as well get used to it, but is there a need to charge a fiver for a kid to race? If you want to see the sport stay alive then encouraging kids to take part should be the main thing...

Well, it sounds like everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. I'm not going to start getting annoyed at paying 15 euro or else I won't be racing much this year...

Maybe so but your "simple statement" comes across as very critical and takes away from the many positives of the race. As an aside I'm sure prizes for the top finishers and teams were decent in Raheny as our club did well in team prizes in years gone by.

Maybe I'm hypersensitive about things like this but there is always someone who will find something wrong with a race.
    To these people I say that's great, please leave dates and details. I can't wait to run your perfect race !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Hi Lizanne

Running with training partners makes it easier sometimes. If youre working in Dublin you could join a club on the route home, Rathfarnham or Tallaght possibly. The speed nights are usually on a tuesday or thursday with most clubs. Im not familiar with any clubs in the Naas area.
    Being in a club puts you in the "loop" aswell and gives you a chance to chat about running matters with others.

You could possibly advertise for female runners interested in doing speed sessions locally.
    There is bound to be interest given Naas's population.

There are also plenty of hill races with IMRA
    http://www.imra.ie/
    including a good race on 3 Rock this sunday at 11. (have a look at this event in past years to get a feel for it).
    IMRA are a nice crowd and always willing to give advice/help out. Their site has a lot of hits, You could put a request for runners in Naas area on their forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

and everybody else got sweet feck all.
    you wouldnt go to the cinema on e15.

and as for raheny making huge profit...have you seen the clubhouse:eek::eek:

the hoopers are not the kind of people to rip fellow athletes off, the amount that that family have done not just for the local community, but for irish athletics is incalculable.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Mr Mister

I agree kona, whats €15 these days, sure you'd pay at least that to go to a League of Ireland match (Im not slating LoI btw) and for the €5 for the kids they get a goodie bag and medal so dont really think theres cause for complaint.

I'll just jump on the general consensus and say again that it was a great day out with a terrific atmosphere, always is in raheny, and the weather added to it.

Was talking to some of the main people involved in it and its a case of "Thank God its another year till the next one" - some serious organising goes into it.

Was also good to see some decent times posted up front too, with the raheny lads in particular showing some good form. Looking forward to national xc big time now.

• Advertisement

Begrudgery in the sense that you seem to have a problem that Raheny have the get up to organise a race and make some money for their club

No I don't have a problem with them having the get up to organise a race and make money. I stated that I didn't have any problem with that. In fact, I admire that a lot. I think Ireland is very short on people that have the right mix of vision and determination to organise big sports events and make a success of them.

But I still think it was poor value for money (granted I've never run the Raheny 5). I don't think to say that is particularly offensive to the organisers. And I don't think it's any harm to say it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

cfitz,

I really think that there are other races that can rightly be criticised for the entry fees and value for money. IMO The Raheny 5 shouldn’t be criticised as €15 is value for money when you take in into account the goodie bag, cup of tea etc afterwards and the huge crowds that always come out to cheeer on the runners. On top of that it is a very well organised race.

IMO BUPA @ approx €30, Connemara half-marathon @ €70 don’t represent value for money. Best value around are the BHAA races and IMRA @ €8/€10 and €7 respectively.

Maybe the debate on what are the best races deserves a thread of its own??

But I still think it was poor value for money (granted I've never run the Raheny 5).

Hmmmmmmmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jamiekate

They have it right here. Connemara is €70, and they won't bother posting out the chip or number to you. €15 was good value for this race, despite the lack of water at the end (only my gripe I note), and I will do the race again next year. if you want serious value and week in, week out competition, do the BHAA races. They are amazingly undersubscribed and you always know you have had a race at the end of them.

But I still think it was poor value for money (granted I've never run the Raheny 5). I don't think to say that is particularly offensive to the organisers. And I don't think it's any harm to say it.[/QUOTE]

Then why are you writing a critique of a race that you know nothing about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭jlang

Dammit, didn't realise there was goodie bags! Were they before or after the race? I didn't pick up my number till half two, but there was no sign of any bags. Well stewarded/organised and a great race for me: took three minutes off last year's time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Great race, the organisation on the day was spot on. I really liked that someone was standing at every mile giving the time. That made me speed up a bit as my first mile was quite slow. I really liked the friendly atmosphere and the sense of comraderie near the end; some of the fast runners were still hanging around cheering on the rest of us.

My one big gripe was the lack of water. I really think there should've been a water stop when we came off the coast road and up the hill. I was parched at that stage.

I could see and appreciate the amount of organisation that went into it so IMO it was €15/€20 well spent. Just give us the water next year!

jamiekate wrote: »
    Then why are you writing a critique of a race that you know nothing about?

Just coz I haven't ran in it before doesn't mean I know nothing about it. I recently posted my opinion about the Australian Open in the tennis forum despite never having played in it - I hope that doesn't bother you as well.

You obviously have a logic that you yourself can follow Cfits. We are not talking about the Wallaby Tennis Open here, we are talking about a race that you did not take part in, but seem to think you are the worlds foremost expert in. Leave the giving out about the race to those who ran it. And it seems that the majority of us who DID take part in the event are happy.

• Advertisement

Now I could be wrong but I reckon most people race not to make a profit (eg, only getting a prize 5eur more than the entry fee:eek:) and that its more about the participation and beating PB's etc. Most people run for the enjoyment or the love of the sport or to push themselves and the goody bag or tee shirt or prize is not important, nice to have but not important. For those who look for value for money, I don't understand that but its fair enough.

I do the Dublin graded track meets and its 8eur to enter. Now for 1 or 2 or 3 mins participation this could be seen as bad value for money. No medal, no tee shirt, no overseas trip, no nothing except competition (starting to well up). Good competition with electronic timing and a good testing ground for the season ahead(kinda like the Raheny 5). Most athletes don't compete to get 'good value for money', its a hobby or passion not earning a living. What will we have, keep your receipt and if you don't get a PB or your expectations aren't met you can get your money back?:)

We can safely say the majority feel Raheny 5 was good value for money and a great event. Lets hope their assault on the inter-clubs isn't as successfull:D

Advertisement