Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rules of the Road - Sufficient Clearance for Stationary Cars

Options
  • 16-11-2007 11:32pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The rules of the road state that you should give sufficient clearance for stationary vehicles - a car door (if possible) according to the RSAwebsite.

By contrast, it is a penalty points offence to fail to comply with traffic lane markings, and it is very dangerous to drive in the wrong lane unless absolutely necessary.

The problem I have is that the correct reading of this appears to me to be that you should give as much clearance as is available (in your lane) to stationary vehicles. If there is insufficient room to pass you should then, but only then, overtake. Otherwise, staying in your lane is the 1st priority.

I would also rationalise it thus: if you are too close to a stationary vehicle when they open the door, that person should have been keeping a proper lookout and therefore is creating the hazard and if you move out into the other lane you are the one creating the potential hazard (take it as a given that you wouldn't move into the other lane with visible oncoming traffic, but someone might be turing a corner and not expecting you to be there). You could also see it that the odds of someone opening a car door onto oncoming traffic is far less likely to happen, and far less likely to result in serious injury or death than a person driving on the wrong side of the road is.

It also seems to me that it is more important, all things being equal, that you give greater clearance to moving traffic e.g. cars on the next lane over, than to stationary cars.

But in the driving test, you can fail if you do not give sufficient clearance to stationary vehicles.

It seems to me that:
    1) the driving test is often arbitrary and not based on safe driving;
    2) the best way to pass is not to be a perfect driver (which is impossible) but to mix it up and break as many rules as possible, rather than breaking the same rule over and over again; and
    3) where you can pass a stationary car while still in your lane, but will come within a foot of it, you should stop and wait for the cars on the other side to go and then overtake (but in this case you will be done for lack of progression).

It seems to me to be completely unfair that this damned if you do, damned if you don't policy can be used in the driving test, and it seems to me that even the best, most careful drivers (even the testers themselves) are not guaranteed to pass the test.

I think my motive for posting this should be quite obvious, but apart from venting my spleen I would like to know how to reconcile these two objectives. Does anyone have any advice, comments or insults for me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

it is very dangerous to drive in the wrong lane unless absolutely necessary
    I would say it's very dangerous to cross to the other side, on a norrow road, if there is another vehicle approaching!

I think you may be making a mountain out of a molehill johnny. :)

You will only be marked for lack of progress if you wait when the road is sufficiently wide to accompany all three vehicle and an open door.

Crossing the centre line is perfectly acceptable in many circumstances. Large vehicles often have to cross when there is no obstacle but because the road is narrow or the corner very restricted.

Advertisement