Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If heaven exsits

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

kelly1 wrote: »
    Yes, please do.
    I mean, would you like to be specific? I.E. Ask a specific question.
    I'm clearly in need of enlightenment. Maybe I'm just not indwelt with the Holy Spirit?

I never said I was indwelt with Holy Spirit, if thats what you think I said:confused:

Apart from that though, I'm detecting sarcasm. If you are being sarcastic in such a manner, it kind of undermines your 'blessings' at the end of your posts. If you are not being sarcastic, then I would agree that you are in need of enlightenment, as am I. You need to strip what you know (or think you know), down to this.

1. God is our creator.
    2. Jesus is his Son who was impaled and was raised up in 3 days.
    3. I have Faith in God and in his Son.

So there you go, if you were not being sarcastic, then I've given you a starting point that is working for me. Look into getting a well translated bible and cross reference with other translations if needs be, and take it from there. Pray for enlightenment and help. Meditate on the things you're not sure about. Reason with others, but be careful they don't direct you too much. Find out if there are any spurious origins for cetain doctrines etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

JimiTime wrote: »
    I mean, would you like to be specific? I.E. Ask a specific question.

I never said I was indwelt with Holy Spirit, if thats what you think I said:confused:

Apart from that though, I'm detecting sarcasm. If you are being sarcastic in such a manner, it kind of undermines your 'blessings' at the end of your posts.
    Actually, I misread your post. I apologise for being sarcastic.
    I thought you said "would you like me to get specific?". I'm just so used to you attacking the CC. It was a knee jerk reaction.

My specific question is what makes you right on the question of the immortality of the soul?
    And why therefore am I wrong?

God bless,
    Noel.

Actually, I misread your post. I apologise for being sarcastic.

No problem, i see now how that could have been read like that.
    I thought you said "would you like me to get specific?". I'm just so used to you attacking the CC. It was a knee jerk reaction.

tut, tut. So used to me attacking the RCC, such a belittling statement there Noel. i don't 'attack' the RCC. I show, when necessary, how they are far from Christian in their behaviour and doctrine. You make it sound like I'm crusading against them. Then again, you seem to cry 'persecution' quite a bit. Contrary to what you think, I have weighed it up quite alot Noel, and while I don't share others view of the RC just being another denomination that has a few things wrong, I'm certainly not persecuting them.
    My specific question is what makes you right on the question of the immortality of the soul?
    And why therefore am I wrong?

God bless,
    Noel.

Could you tell me why I should believe in such a doctrine? In reading the scriptures I don't see evidence for such a belief, so you would have to point me to why I should believe it.

Could you tell me why I should believe in such a doctrine? In reading the scriptures I don't see evidence for such a belief, so you would have to point me to why I should believe it.
    Do you believe in the existence of the devil? If so, then please explain why He hasn't been destroyed.
    What would be the point in having Hell if the souls of the damned are destroyed?
    Hell would be empty if that were the case. Or do you think only demons exist in Hell?

Here is proof:

Matthew 25:46 And these shall go into everlasting punishment:

You can't suffer eternal punishment if your soul doesn't exist.

Do you believe in the existence of the devil? If so, then please explain why He hasn't been destroyed.

So you are saying he can't be destroyed? he's immortal? or is it that his role is to keep dominion over hell?
    What would be the point in having Hell if the souls of the damned are destroyed?

thats my point. There is no hell, or immortal soul.
    Hell would be empty if that were the case. Or do you think only demons exist in Hell?

Maybe you forgot my first post here. Hell is not a dwelling for demons etc. It is the grave. It signifies death. Why is fire used when talking about it? because fire was seen as final. Gahenna (one of the words translated hell) was a place outside the city where waste was burned. A fire that never went out. Using this word symbolised final destruction.
    Here is proof:

Matthew 25:46 And these shall go into everlasting punishment:

You can't suffer eternal punishment if your soul doesn't exist.

No, here is a line which appears to support you. However, cross referencing the greek words here, you will find that it actually translates 'These shall go away into age-long pruning'. As i said, in order to root out corruption, one must strip it right down to the bare minimum of God is our Creator and Jesus is his Son. If one concludes corruption has occured, which i am very certain it has, then one must question everything theythink they 'know'.

thats my point. There is no hell, or immortal soul.

Maybe you forgot my first post here. Hell is not a dwelling for demons etc. It is the grave. It signifies death. Why is fire used when talking about it? because fire was seen as final. Gahenna (one of the words translated hell) was a place outside the city where waste was burned. A fire that never went out. Using this word symbolised final destruction.

No, here is a line which appears to support you. However, cross referencing the greek words here, you will find that it actually translates 'These shall go away into age-long pruning'.

Jimi, it's hard to know where to start. You're post is just incredible.

Why in God's name to you think Jesus refers to Hell numerous times if it's doesn't exist????? Sorry, but you're not making a whole lot of sense. And then you go calling my beliefs into question!!!???

You can't ignore all the negative effects of sin and hope they goes away!

Seriously, I'm astounded. :(

Why in God's name to you think Jesus refers to Hell numerous times if it's doesn't exist?????

Please be specific, and I'll try my best to answer you. I've never said that 'hell' (such a bad translation) didn't exist. i said your concept of hell as a place of literal fiery torment where the wicked are tortured for eternity didn't exist. Read over my posts again. If you want clarity of my view that is.
    Sorry, but you're not making a whole lot of sense. And then you go calling my beliefs into question!!!???

Noel, Noel, Noel. You'd swear i was just pulling things out of my backside the way you go on. Instead of such comments, how about you be specific, and try reason things through.
    You can't ignore all the negative effects of sin and hope they goes away!
    Where do you get this from? I never said I ignored anything. In fact i have categorically stated that I do what i can to be informed. 'The wages of sin is death'. There is one big consequence right there. Maybe if you actually try reason the point rather than shooting your mouth off, you'd grasp it better. Would you prefer to see people suffer for eternity for no other purpose but to suffer?
    Seriously, I'm astounded. :(
    Judging by your complete inability to understand or even remember my postings, I'm not surprised your astounded.

Please be specific, and I'll try my best to answer you. I've never said that 'hell' (such a bad translation) didn't exist. i said your concept of hell as a place of literal fiery torment where the wicked are tortured for eternity didn't exist. Read over my posts again. If you want clarity of my view that is.

You wrote:
    - I don't believe that the wicked have everlasting life
    - Death will be thrown into the lake of fire along with the wicked
    - if you want to isolate scriptures, then how can 'death' be thrown into this lake of fire (contradicts what you said above!)
    - God is certainly not going to grant the wicked everlasting life
    - I believe 'hell', is the grave based on my readings and meditations
    - So i do believe in hell, just not in a fiery pit of horridness and torture.
    - These shall go away into age-long pruning

I wrote:

- Mt 13:42 And shall cast them into the furnace of fire: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
    - Matthew 25:46 And these shall go into everlasting punishment:

You believe that there is no eternal punishment and that the wicked are destroyed body and soul. But this is blatantly not the case when Jesus says there is "weeping and gnashing of teeth" and "everlasting punishment". How can you reconcile these two opposing views? Are you denying the words of your "Lord and King"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

Lets see Jimitime

There are six references to sinners being tossed into teh darkness where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth in Matthew alone.

Luke 13:28
    "There will be weeping there, and gnashing of teeth, when you see Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God, but you yourselves thrown out.

Matthew 18:8
    If your hand or your foot causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life maimed or crippled than to have two hands or two feet and be thrown into eternal fire.

Matthew 25:41
    "Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

Matthew 25:46
    "Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."

Jude 1:7
    In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion. They serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire.

Pretty staright forward. Eternal punishment.

• Advertisement

Brian, it's rare that anyone agrees with me about anything on this forum but when it happens, it's smooth the wrinkles of my furrowed brow :)

God bless,
    Noel.

Brian, it's rare that anyone agrees with me about anything on this forum but when it happens, it's smooth the wrinkles of my furrowed brow :)

God bless,
    Noel.

Awwwwwww, poor persecuted Noel.

Lets see Jimitime

There are six references to sinners being tossed into teh darkness where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth in Matthew alone.

Luke 13:28
    "There will be weeping there, and gnashing of teeth, when you see Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God, but you yourselves thrown out.

Matthew 18:8
    If your hand or your foot causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life maimed or crippled than to have two hands or two feet and be thrown into eternal fire.

Matthew 25:41
    "Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

Matthew 25:46
    "Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."

Jude 1:7
    In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion. They serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire.

Pretty staright forward. Eternal punishment.

You believe God is going to give the wicked eternal life? Thus you don't believe death is the wages of sin? You believe a torturous life is the wages of sin?
    You believe God is going to punish the wicked forever, just for the sake of punishment? I.E. They will just suffer for the sake of suffering.
    Tell me, when you punish your child for being bold, do you do it just to inflict sorrow on your child? or do you do it in order for them to learn their lesson, to improve them, or correct their step?
    Do you believe that terrorists should be tortured into revealing information?

i do find it hard to believe that Christians reconsile this doctrine with God. I really believe we need someone to come and show us how far gone we all are. Interesting prophesy in revelation about 2 prophets coming. I always wonder if thats literal. if it is, I suspect, that many of the established christians will reject them vehemently due to their 'fundamental christian doctrine'.

I certainly do not know the god you worship, and you obviously don't know mine. In fact, i state categorically, if God actually was actually going to torture the wicked for ever, for no purpose but to give them pain, then I would reject him, because its obvious that he is not love. So I completely reject your God with all my heart, as i would reject Satan. Happy am I however in the knowledge that The Living God is far from this tyranny you speak of.

You believe God is going to give the wicked eternal life? Thus you don't believe death is the wages of sin? You believe a torturous life is the wages of sin?
    You believe God is going to punish the wicked forever, just for the sake of punishment? I.E. They will just suffer for the sake of suffering.
    Tell me, when you punish your child for being bold, do you do it just to inflict sorrow on your child? or do you do it in order for them to learn their lesson, to improve them, or correct their step?
    Do you believe that terrorists should be tortured into revealing information?

i do find it hard to believe that Christians reconsile this doctrine with God. I really believe we need someone to come and show us how far gone we all are. Interesting prophesy in revelation about 2 prophets coming. I always wonder if thats literal. if it is, I suspect, that many of the established christians will reject them vehemently due to their 'fundamental christian doctrine'.

I certainly do not know the god you worship, and you obviously don't know mine. In fact, i state categorically, if God actually was actually going to torture the wicked for ever, for no purpose but to give them pain, then I would reject him, because its obvious that he is not love. So I completely reject your God with all my heart, as i would reject Satan. Happy am I however in the knowledge that The Living God is far from this tyranny you speak of.
    Jimi, if you don't believe the words of Jesus in the bible, what do you believe in? Do you pick and choose? "eternal punishment" is there in black and white. What does your bible say and which version do you have?

God bless,
    Noel.

Jimi, if you don't believe the words of Jesus in the bible, what do you believe in? Do you pick and choose? "eternal punishment" is there in black and white. What does your bible say and which version do you have?

God bless,
    Noel.

So I'll ask again:

Do you believe the wicked have everlasting life? If so you don't believe 'the wages of sin is death'. you believe its a torturous life forever.

Do you believe in torturing people? Lets say, Adolf Hitler. If he was caught back in the day and found guilty of his crimes, should he then be tortured as punishment?

Why would you chastise a child? Is it for the purpose of inflicting pain or sorrow on the child? or is it to correct his step?
    If that child of yours ends up becoming a mass murderer and is found guilty of his crimes, would you like to see him tortured forever?

As i said, its clear that I don't, and will never, follow this god you speak of. If that makes folk believe I'm not a follower of christ, so be it. Thankfully, man will not be my judge.

So I'll ask again:
    Do you believe the wicked have everlasting life? If so you don't believe 'the wages of sin is death'. you believe its a torturous life forever.
    I believe the soul is immortal i.e. it cannot cease to exist. The soul only has life when it contains God's grace. Without this grace, the soul is effectively dead but still exists. So I don't think ever-lasting life is a appropriate term. Everlasting existence without God (who is the source of life/grace) would be more accurate. The death you refer to is death of the soul due to the lack of God's grace. But it still exists and isn't capable of any love whatsoever.
    Do you believe in torturing people? Lets say, Adolf Hitler. If he was caught back in the day and found guilty of his crimes, should he then be tortured as punishment?
    No and no. He probably should have been locked up for life and left on public display.
    Why would you chastise a child? Is it for the purpose of inflicting pain or sorrow on the child? or is it to correct his step?
    The latter.
    If that child of yours ends up becoming a mass murderer and is found guilty of his crimes, would you like to see him tortured forever?
    No.

The thing to remember is that those who go to Hell have chosen to reject God so what is God to do if He can't violate our free will?

Now let me ask you again:-

Why don't you believe the words of Jesus in the bible? eternal punishment and final death in a grave aren't the same thing. Do you pick and choose what you believe from the bible? Does your bible use the words "eternal punishment" or does it have something else like "age-long pruning"?

Peace,
    Noel.

• Advertisement

I believe the soul is immortal i.e. it cannot cease to exist. The soul only has life when it contains God's grace. Without this grace, the soul is effectively dead but still exists.
    Immortal: not liable or subject to death; undying
    not liable to perish or decay; imperishable; everlasting

So you are redefining life and death. Without Gods grace you are effectively dead? |Could you elaborate on that? How are you dead, but existing?
    So I don't think ever-lasting life is a appropriate term. Everlasting existence without God (who is the source of life/grace) would be more accurate.

Again, when you explain to me how one exists (feels pain, weeps, gnash teeth etc) while at the same time being dead And immortal, then I'll see if its plausible.
    The death you refer to is death of the soul due to the lack of God's grace. But it still exists and isn't capable of any love whatsoever.

Now, you believe in hell as a place of fiery torment based on scriptures someone has interpretted. Where does the above belief come from?
    No and no. He probably should have been locked up for life and left on public display.

Why not torture him? Why would you have a problem with it?
    The latter.

Glad to hear it.
    No.

So you as a father, even if your child turned out to be a wicked murderer. You'd still not like to see him tortured forever. Why is that?
    The thing to remember is that those who go to Hell have chosen to reject God so what is God to do if He can't violate our free will?

So are you saying his hands are tied by the fact that he made us all immortal? As someone who believes in the lake of fire being 'the second death of which there is no resurrection' as John put it in revelation, then that is what God will do. However, I see your conundrum if you believe that God 'cannot' destroy us because he made us all immortal. However, I'd ask, where does the doctrine of the immortal soul come from.
    Now let me ask you again:-

Why don't you believe the words of Jesus in the bible? eternal punishment and final death in a grave aren't the same thing. Do you pick and choose what you believe from the bible? Does your bible use the words "eternal punishment" or does it have something else like "age-long pruning"?

Peace,
    Noel.

I have no one bible. As someone who believes there has been huge corruption through the deliverers of 'christianity', I cross reference various translations. i also look at concordances to see what the literal translation of the greek or hebrew words are. If as i believe did happen, that the world of Christendom i.e. RC, Orthodoxy etc corrupted the name of my Lord, then i should not trust their explainations for anything. I'd rather try study and pray as if these organisations never existed, thus praying through my mediator, (the prophesised messiah, Yeshua), to seek guidance and truth.

So you are redefining life. Without Gods grace you are effectively dead? Could you elaborate on that? How are you dead, but existing?
    I don't have a degree in theology but my simple understanding is this: The soul once created can never cease to exist, it is immortal. Without God's grace, it's an empty shell that's incapable of loving God and is ugly in God's sight. It has no connection with God so union is impossible.

When Adam was created in the image and likeness of God, this image and likeness was only because of the grace in Adam's soul. He destroyed this grace by sinning. I think a light bulb is a good metaphor. God is the electricity that makes the bulb light up. If the bulb is blown by sin, the electricity can no longer flow and the light dies. The bulb still exists but is dead to God because it can no longer receive His grace and it's the lack of grace that makes it essentially dead.

After God's grace leaves the soul it still has the faculties of thought, feeling and will but in comparison with the soul in a state of grace, it's dead.

Does this make any sense? It's hard to find the words!

God bless,
    Noel.

I don't have a degree in theology but my simple understanding is this: The soul once created can never cease to exist, it is immortal. Without God's grace, it's an empty shell that's incapable of loving God and is ugly in God's sight. It has no connection with God so union is impossible.

When Adam was created in the image and likeness of God, this image and likeness was only because of the grace in Adam's soul. He destroyed this grace by sinning. I think a light bulb is a good metaphor. God is the electricity that makes the bulb light up. If the bulb is blown by sin, the electricity can no longer flow and the light dies. The bulb still exists but is dead to God because it can no longer receive His grace.

After God's grace leaves the soul it still has the faculties of thought, feeling and will but in comparison with the soul in a state of grace, it's dead.

Does this make any sense. It's hard to find the words!

God bless,
    Noel.

In a word, no. Where do you get this explaination from? Who says that this is how it all works? Looking forward to you answering the other questions of my last post.
    J.

In a word, no. Where do you get this explaination from? Who says that this is how it all works? Looking forward to you answering the other questions of my last post.
    J.
    I don't think there's any point in discussing this further. You don't want to understand.

I've made it quite clear that the damned suffered eternal punishment and you reject this so why would I bother to continue the debate?

I don't think there's any point in discussing this further.
    No problem Noel, its up to you.
    You don't want to understand.
    It would be good manners to back that up with something.
    I've made it quite clear that the damned suffered eternal punishment and you reject this so why would I bother to continue the debate?

Indeed, why bother? If you think i am here to ridicule, and not willing to try understand anything etc. I'd be the same. Why bother to try reason with someone so stubborn. I completely understand. obviously I think you are completely off the mark with such an assesment, but if thats what you think, then yes, It would save you alot of wasted time to stop engaging with me.

• Advertisement

You believe God is going to give the wicked eternal life? Thus you don't believe death is the wages of sin? You believe a torturous life is the wages of sin?.

Hell is called the 'second death' (rev 20 14Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death.). Existence in Hell is anything but 'life'.
    You believe God is going to punish the wicked forever, just for the sake of punishment? I.E. They will just suffer for the sake of suffering..
    That is what the Bible says. It is what Jesus said. Interesting that you have failed to counter this with any scripture?
    Tell me, when you punish your child for being bold, do you do it just to inflict sorrow on your child? or do you do it in order for them to learn their lesson, to improve them, or correct their step?.
    Punish so that they may learn. God does the same with us. My oldest is now 18, away at university, making her own decisions. If she decides to become a drug addicted hooker, there isn't much I can do about it, except always let her know that she can come home. But it ultimately comes down to her decision.

God does the same with us, we are ultimately responsible for our own choice. With God we can always 'come home'. But if we choose not to..well?

It's all there.
    Do you believe that terrorists should be tortured into revealing information?.
    No, but they should be put away to serve their time for their transgression.
    i do find it hard to believe that Christians reconsile this doctrine with God. I really believe we need someone to come and show us how far gone we all are. Interesting prophesy in revelation about 2 prophets coming. I always wonder if thats literal. if it is, I suspect, that many of the established christians will reject them vehemently due to their 'fundamental christian doctrine'..
    This doctrine comes from the lips of our Lord.
    Probably not a rejection. As long as what they say is consistent with scripture we will recognise them for who they are. A sheep always recognises the shepherds voice.

I have known for quite a while that we don't worship the same God jimitime. My is a triune God, Father, Son, Holy Spirit. The Son who was crucified.

You worship a created being in Jesus, who you deny as God and claim that he was impaled on an impaling stick.

It smacks of Jehovah Witness theology. Fine people that they are, they worship a false god.

Hell is called the 'second death' (rev 20 14Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death.). Existence in Hell is anything but 'life'.

So what is it then? do you believe in the immortal soul? if it is immortal, then it is life, or would you like to offer a different definition of life, death and immortality? Do you believe that hell is a place of fiery torment? Where people will be concious, feel pain, gnash their teeth and weep. Forever?
    That is what the Bible says. It is what Jesus said. Interesting that you have failed to counter this with any scripture?

On the contrary, i have provided both scripture, John in Revelation, and also what appears to be bad translation of greek. But at the moment, thats not of great importance, I'm trying to establish the nature of your god.
    Punish so that they may learn. God does the same with us. My oldest is now 18, away at university, making her own decisions. If she decides to become a drug addicted hooker, there isn't much I can do about it, except always let her know that she can come home. But it ultimately comes down to her decision.

I agree.

God does the same with us, we are ultimately responsible for our own choice. With God we can always 'come home'. But if we choose not to..well?

We'll suffer endlessly in fiery torment? So i'll ask you a question that Noel declined to answer. If your daughter became a mass murderer, child molester and all the other wicked things you could think of. Would you torture her 'forever', for no other reason but to have her suffer?

No, but they should be put away to serve their time for their transgression.

Why not torture them?
    This doctrine comes from the lips of our Lord.
    Probably not a rejection. As long as what they say is consistent with scripture we will recognise them for who they are. A sheep always recognises the shepherds voice.

Glad to hear it.

I have known for quite a while that we don't worship the same God jimitime. My is a triune God, Father, Son, Holy Spirit. The Son who was crucified.

grand, that clears that up.
    and claim that he was impaled on an impaling stick.

ey? Where did that come from? he was impaled. are you saying he wasn't?:confused:

It smacks of Jehovah Witness theology. Fine people that they are, they worship a false god.

i don't care if it smacks of jw theology, is that relevant? Are you trying to say that to belittle my position somehow? It also smacks of Messianic Jews, and probably plenty of others. Whats your point? that I'm a jw? Well i assure you i'm not! and even if i was, is it relevant? i seem to recall you saying that a couple of times in the past also. Why do you keep trying to compare me to JW's? s if its some kind of testimony against me?

So what is it then? 1) do you believe in the immortal soul? 2) if it is immortal, then it is life, or would you like to offer a different definition of life, death and immortality? 3)Do you believe that hell is a place of fiery torment? Where people will be concious, feel pain, gnash their teeth and weep. Forever? ?

1) Immortal soul: Yes
    2) Revelation tells us that the soul goes to a second death. Revelation 20:14. Where it is tormented for ever.
    3) Read the above passages quoting Jesus. So yes. I believe Jesus. Do you not?
    On the contrary, i have provided both scripture, John in Revelation, and also what appears to be bad translation of greek. But at the moment, thats not of great importance, I'm trying to establish the nature of your god. ?

That is of the utmost importance. Determinig what it is God is communicating with us. Which passage in Revelation are you wishing to an exegesis of?

We'll suffer endlessly in fiery torment? So i'll ask you a question that Noel declined to answer. If your daughter became a mass murderer, child molester and all the other wicked things you could think of. Would you torture her 'forever', for no other reason but to have her suffer?

I wouldn't want that. It is a consequence of her actions that would bring her to that eventual conclusion. Just as our rejection of God brings us to that eventual end. You get your wish, an existence without God. There are those who look forward to that eventuality. No God, no Christians, no religion.

Jesus describes to us what the end of that path looks like.

Why not torture them?

No need to torture. I have no right to inflict pain on anyone.

ey? Where did that come from? he was impaled. are you saying he wasn't?:confused:?
    He was crucified on a cross. In an earlier post you mentioned the impaling.

i don't care if it smacks of jw theology, is that relevant? Are you trying to say that to belittle my position somehow? It also smacks of Messianic Jews, and probably plenty of others. Whats your point? that I'm a jw? Well i assure you i'm not! and even if i was, is it relevant? i seem to recall you saying that a couple of times in the past also. Why do you keep trying to compare me to JW's? s if its some kind of testimony against me?

Yep, my point exactly, you are giving us JW theology. You may not call yourself one, and I believe you are not one and don't attend their meetings.

But, I would say that you are surely reading their literature.

1) Immortal soul: Yes
    So the wicked obtain everlasting life? i'm going to call it life, as no-one has provided anything to say it isn't life. Existance without God in your life is still life.
    2) Revelation tells us that the soul goes to a second death. Revelation 20:14

Death and hades are also cast into this fire. so how can death be thrown into this literal hell?
    3) Read the above passages quoting Jesus. So yes. I believe Jesus. Do you not?

mort than you know Brian. However, before we thrawl through that, as i said, I'd like to establish the nature of your god. imagine it this way. We've established that you believe that i am worshipping a false god. I am making an inquiry into the nature of your god. i really can't get my head around your doctrine of hell, and would like some answers.
    That is of the utmost importance. Determinig what it is God is communicating with us. Which passage in Revelation are you wishing to an exegesis of?

As i said, i'm not looking for an exegesis, I'm looking to establish the nature of your god.
    I wouldn't want that.
    Why?
    It is a consequence of her actions that would bring her to that eventual conclusion.
    but if it was up to you, you would not have her tortured forever for no other reason than to suffer?
    Just as our rejection of God brings us to that eventual end. You get your wish, an existence without God. There are those who look forward to that eventuality. No God, no Christians, no religion.

Hang on, so its not a place of fiery torment? its just a place where there is no religion etc? So a world of dawkins'? could you elaborate?
    No need to torture. I have no right to inflict pain on anyone.

OK. would you have issue with torture? is it ok under any circumstances?
    He was crucified on a cross. In an earlier post you mentioned the impaling.

Ehh, its the same thing.

Impale: to fix upon, or pierce through with, anything pointed

i take it you did not know what impale meant? what do you thing I thought impale meant?
    Yep, my point exactly, you are giving us JW theology.
    what do you want me to do about it? If some things i say concur in some way with jw's so what? what is your point exactly? whats the relevance? Some of my beliefs concur with yours, some with Noels etc. wheres the relevance?
    You may not call yourself one, and I believe you are not one and don't attend their meetings. But, I would say that you are surely reading their literature.

:confused: my word brian, what are you saying? If the bible is their literature you'd be correct, but last time i checked jw's did not have dibs on the bible as their literature. i am not and never will be associated them. however, your insistance on bringing them up cosistantly is strange. Again, what relevance is this. i've told you I'm not one, that my literature is the bible etc, yet you persist on trying to say that i'm somehow one of them by proxy or something? just cut it out for goodness sake. What is your facination with them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭interestinguser

This thread is a fascinating insight into how the religious mind works I must say.

This thread is a fascinating insight into how the religious mind works I must say.

Care to ellaborate? What is your conclusion reading this thread on how a religious mind works?

So the wicked obtain everlasting life? i'm going to call it life, as no-one has provided anything to say it isn't life. Existance without God in your life is still life.?

Death and hades are also cast into this fire. so how can death be thrown into this literal hell??

The two above together. Revelation 20:14 says:death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death

The lake of fire is the second Death. God defines it that way.

Now reading that inlight of what else we know about Hell, as a result of the teachings of Jesus, we know that people will spend an eternity there.

So second Death occurs where people spend an eternity.

By their choice.

more than you know Brian. However, before we thrawl through that, as i said, I'd like to establish the nature of your god. imagine it this way. We've established that you believe that i am worshipping a false god. I am making an inquiry into the nature of your god. i really can't get my head around your doctrine of hell, and would like some answers.?

Then why don't you listen to what He teaches. We have shown you His teaching on Hell. Yet you want to deny it. :confused:
    As i said, i'm not looking for an exegesis, I'm looking to establish the nature of your god.?

You claim that we were using the greek wrong in the interpretation of Revelation. When and were?

Why?

but if it was up to you, you would not have her tortured forever for no other reason than to suffer??

No I wouldn't have her living a tortured existence. But if that is the choice she made I can't do anything about it.

Therefore I have taught her to Love the Lord with all her heart, soul and mind and to love her neighbour as herself.

Hang on, so its not a place of fiery torment? its just a place where there is no religion etc? So a world of dawkins'? could you elaborate? ?

Oh JT? It is place where God isn't. As a result of God's absence it is a fiery torment. Action and consequence.
    OK. would you have issue with torture? is it ok under any circumstances??

One person torturing another, no. My friend being tortured by her own actions? That is going to happen. I can help her.

There are things that I have done and failed to do in the past that torture me today. My action and then the consequence.
    Ehh, its the same thing.

Impale: to fix upon, or pierce through with, anything pointed

i take it you did not know what impale meant? what do you thing I thought impale meant??

it is quite different.

An impaling stick is long and pointed. The victim is set upon it with stick placed at about the nether regions. As time goes on the weight of the victim impales him on teh stick.

Crucifixion: nailed or strapped to a cross. Eventually gravity works to crush th elungs and death occurs due to suffocation.

what do you want me to do about it? If some things i say concur in some way with jw's so what? what is your point exactly? whats the relevance? Some of my beliefs concur with yours, some with Noels etc. wheres the relevance??

Your errors in theology are right out of the JW handbook. I haven't seen your source of commentaries that help in discernment of the word.

:confused: my word brian, what are you saying? If the bible is their literature you'd be correct, but last time i checked jw's did not have dibs on the bible as their literature. i am not and never will be associated them. however, your insistance on bringing them up cosistantly is strange. Again, what relevance is this. i've told you I'm not one, that my literature is the bible etc, yet you persist on trying to say that i'm somehow one of them by proxy or something? just cut it out for goodness sake. What is your facination with them?

The JW's use a very bad translation of the Bible. Their commentaries on the Bible reflect that poor translation.

I and PDN and Excelsior use the Bible as our final authority on our faith. We all use commentaries and helps in order to discern what the word is telling us. I also use those that are more knowledgable than I in these things as well. Men like PDN and Excelsior have been more educated than I and are great sources of correction, and they use the Bible in order to do that correction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The JW's use a very bad translation of the Bible. Their commentaries on the Bible reflect that poor translation.
    Most of the modern Bibles line up very closely with the NIV and so does the New World Translation, the Bible of the Jehovah's Witnesses cult! The NIV and New World Translations are both stable mates.

Most of the modern Bibles line up very closely with the NIV and so does the New World Translation, the Bible of the Jehovah's Witnesses cult! The NIV and New World Translations are both stable mates.

A topic for another thread?

Comparison of tranlations?

The two above together. Revelation 20:14 says:death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death

The lake of fire is the second Death. God defines it that way.

Now reading that inlight of what else we know about Hell, as a result of the teachings of Jesus, we know that people will spend an eternity there.

So second Death occurs where people spend an eternity.

By their choice.

So its called the second death of which there is no resurrection. Death and hades is cast into it along with the peoples whos name is not written in the book of life. So is it a literal fire? or is that symbolic? How can death be cast into a lake of fire? if it is symbolic, then why is it not symbolic when it comes to people?

Actually, I'd like to find out about why your god does this. so if we put scripture aside a moment.

Then why don't you listen to what He teaches. We have shown you His teaching on Hell. Yet you want to deny it. :confused:

Ok, for arguements sake, lets just say, I don't believe. i want to forget about the bible. Imagine i am a non-believer, which i am in your eyes, so it shouldn't be hard. i want to believe in your god, but i am having trouble with this hell business. Imagine it doesn't matter to me what is in the bible. Rather, i want to find out your gods nature before i believe on him.
    You claim that we were using the greek wrong in the interpretation of Revelation. When and were?

no, i believe that there may be a spurious translationin the Gospels. Instead of saying 'everlasting torment', it should be 'age long pruning' or chastisement. But even at that, lets leave that aside for now.

No I wouldn't have her living a tortured existence. But if that is the choice she made I can't do anything about it.

She chose to reject god.Your god is then choosing to make the consequence of this rejection an everlasting life of fiery torment, for no other purpose but to have her suffer. So what purpose does your god do this? would you see it as loving?
    Therefore I have taught her to Love the Lord with all her heart, soul and mind and to love her neighbour as herself.
    of course, I'd expect nothing less.

Oh JT?

Oh Brian?
    It is place where God isn't. As a result of God's absence it is a fiery torment. Action and consequence.

So is it literal fiery tormet? will your immortal soul literally burn forever?
    One person torturing another, no. My friend being tortured by her own actions? That is going to happen. I can help her.

how does one torture themselves in such a way? remember, you are saying your god set it up this way. people may reject him, and there are consequences, no problem. However, you are saying that the consequence your god put in place, is torture endlesly. What is your gods purpose for creating this consequence?
    There are things that I have done and failed to do in the past that torture me today. My action and then the consequence.

as i said, i have no problem with consequence. Its what the consequence is that I'm talking about.
    it is quite different.

An impaling stick is long and pointed. The victim is set upon it with stick placed at about the nether regions. As time goes on the weight of the victim impales him on teh stick.

Crucifixion: nailed or strapped to a cross. Eventually gravity works to crush th elungs and death occurs due to suffocation.

Well actually, you are talking about a very specific method of impalement. the process off sticking a nail through a hand is actually impalement also. So you can say that Jesus was crucified, or impaled (nailed to) on a cross. Neither is innaccurate. i see where you went wrong though. but this is off the point, and a silly arguement i suppose, so i'll leave it there.
    Your errors in theology are right out of the JW handbook. I haven't seen your source of commentaries that help in discernment of the word.

My source? i told you. various bibles and concordances. discussions with family members, friends, priests, here on boards, online. thats it. I have no book that tells me what everything means if thats what you are getting at?

I and PDN and Excelsior use the Bible as our final authority on our faith. We all use commentaries and helps in order to discern what the word is telling us. I also use those that are more knowledgable than I in these things as well. Men like PDN and Excelsior have been more educated than I and are great sources of correction, and they use the Bible in order to do that correction.

ok, I'm finished with all this stuff now. Believe what you will. I'd like to stick to finding out about the nature of your god if you don't mind?

• Advertisement

A topic for another thread?

Comparison of tranlations?

personally, i think everyone should look at a few translations anyway. A greek and hebrew concordance i would also recommend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Rather, i want to find out your gods nature before i believe on him.
    i think im lucky,on the grounds that im polytheistic.
    i believe in other gods,but i choose who i worship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Moro23

Good grief, scripture here scripture there , Hell no hell, cross or impalement , gnashing of teeth, drug addicted daughters. you die once you die twice , is this heaven is this hell who cares who can tell anyone for the last few choc ice .I have to say that bible, which ever one you read or study seems to leave some of ye with more questions than answers but It has been great to read them all.

Moro23 wrote: »
    Good grief, scripture here scripture there , Hell no hell, cross or impalement , gnashing of teeth, drug addicted daughters. you die once you die twice , is this heaven is this hell who cares who can tell anyone for the last few choc ice .I have to say that bible, which ever one you read or study seems to leave some of ye with more questions than answers but It has been great to read them all.

I think that post is a quite disrespectful to everyone who contributed to a question raised by yourself. Why don't you do your own searching an reading if you are really loking for an answer?

I really don't mean to sound condescending to anyone but this is what happens when people interpret scripture for themselves. Now I'll put on my asbestos suit before I get flamed :)

I think I concur with JT on this one Moro.

Don't start a thread unless you are looking for an honest answer. This is step one to being labelled a 'troll'.

I think that post is a quite disrespectful to everyone who contributed to a question raised by yourself. Why don't you do your own searching an reading if you are really loking for an answer?
    How would you feel if you asked a question and got loads of conflicting answers!? It would make anyone's head spin...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

How would you feel if you asked a question and got loads of conflicting answers!? It would make anyone's head spin...

I think anyone who asks a question on one of these boards knows fine well that they'll get lots of conflicting answers.

Why would you even bother to engage me Noel? i am a stubborn heathen who has the nerve to study the bible without a priest present, am i not? Who just doesn't want to understand i think you said. yet here you are, trying to have a pop. So what is it, are you wsting your time with me or not?

• Advertisement

Why would you even bother to engage me Noel? i am a stubborn heathen who has the nerve to study the bible without a priest present, am i not? Who just doesn't want to understand i think you said. yet here you are, trying to have a pop. So what is it, are you wsting your time with me or not?
    Feeling persecuted? :) Let's just agree to disagree.

Feeling persecuted? :)

No, I'm not feeling persecuted at all. Why would I feel that? because I've got views that people disagree with?

Let's just agree to disagree

I don't believe thats how it ended Noel. i don't mind you opting out of the conversation, but it went more, 'I'm wasting my time with you, you just don't want to understand'. Thats not agreeing to disagree, thats refusing to answer questions on the basis that you think you are wasting your time in discussing things with me because i don't 'want' to understand. So what is it? You want to just agree to disagree on whatever basis, or you don't want to waste your time on a stubborn man? Either way, i don't mind, I'm not offended or anything, I'm just looking for consistancy.

Jimi, would you like to start another thread? I'm conscious that we're hi-jacking this one.

Jimi, would you like to start another thread? I'm conscious that we're hi-jacking this one.

I take that as you don't think you're wasting your time? If so, I'll start a new thread.

I take that as you don't think you're wasting your time? If so, I'll start a new thread.
    In the interest of answering your questions, please start a new thread. What I appear to be wasting my time on is trying to convince you that eternal punishment is real.

God bless,
    Noel.

In the interest of answering your questions, please start a new thread. What I appear to be wasting my time on is trying to convince you that eternal punishment is real.

God bless,
    Noel.

ok, so are you going to take back your initial assesment that I just don't want to understand? Maybe its just that I haven't been convinced? If you can't convince me Noel, that doesn't translate to 'I don't want to understand'. It means I hold a certain view at present, and you have failed in trying to convince me that view is wrong. As I said, if you believe I am like that, I would advise you not to wate your time. If it was just a flippant comment out of frustration or something, then say so and I'd be happy to engage again. I certainly don't want to waste my time with someone who believes I'm so arrogant and stubborn.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement