Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wanchope Retires

• 17-11-2007 1:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=78912
    Fire forward Wanchope retires

Chicago Fire forward Paulo Wanchope announced his retirement Friday in a press conference held in San Rafael de Heredia, Costa Rica.

Wanchope, 31, ended a 13-year professional career that included appearances in Costa Rica, England, Qatar, Spain, Japan, and the United States.

After signing with the Fire in July of 2007, Wanchope appeared in 12 games, starting in 11 and scoring 2 goals.

"It was difficult, but this decision had to be made," said Wanchope. "The truth is that in these past six months, I had to put a big effort into recovery after matches and training."

"It's a shame that Paulo has to retire at such a young age for a professional footballer. Because of physical problems, I can only agree with him that it was the best thing he could do," said Fire head coach Juan Carlos Osorio.

Wanchope began his career with Club Sport Herediano (1994-97), before moving on to England to play with Derby County (1997-1999), West Ham United (1999-00), and Manchester City (2000-04), where he played under Osorio. Wanchope has since seen stints with Malaga CF (2004-05), Al-Gharrafa Sports Club (2005), CS Herediano (2006), Rosario Central (2006), and most recently FC Tokyo (2007). The Costa Rican international is his country's second all-time leading goal scorer and has played in the 2000 and 2002 Gold Cups, as well as the 2002 and 2006 FIFA World Cups.

Shame he's had to retire at 31. If it wasn't for injuries he could've had another 2 or 3 years easily in the MLS.

Good servant to us when he was there and scored some important goals. Loved how unpredictable he was and he was a nightmare for any defence (ask United from his Derby days!).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

no ****ing way he is 31 :eek:

Loved that guy more so for his games with Costa rica in copa america or WC qualifiers.

Superb player i actually forgot he played for city :o Guess it was during their wilderness years.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

KdjaCL wrote: »
    no ****ing way he is 31 :eek:

Loved that guy more so for his games with Costa rica in copa america or WC qualifiers.

Superb player i actually forgot he played for city :o Guess it was during their wilderness years.

kdjac

How could you forget that?! He spent more time with us than any other club. And he was with us in the Premiership.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    How could you forget that?! He spent more time with us than any other club. And he was with us in the Premiership.

Dunno but Wanchope brings up images of Costa Rica in WC and Derby vs man utd :o

kdjac

Dunno but Wanchope brings up images of Costa Rica in WC and Derby vs man utd :o

kdjac

Yeah was looking around youtube for those goals but alas, none to be found :mad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZDnX1sC6l0&feature=related

man you suck at youtube searching, how the **** do you not remember that :eek:

thats PL history :eek:

Easily one of the best games ever!!!

i recall watching that that and thinking **** yeah this is football .

And you a man city fan :eek:

kdjac

• Advertisement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZDnX1sC6l0&feature=related

man you suck at youtube searching, how the **** do you not remember that :eek:

thats PL history :eek:

Easily one of the best games ever!!!

i recall watching that that and thinking **** yeah this is football .

And you a man city fan :eek:

kdjac

Of course I feckin remember them, I just couldn't find them. Typing Wanchope into youtube only got me 5 pages of Costa Rica/MLS goals.

but "man united 2 derby 3" worked for me :D

youtube noob :p

kdjac

but "man united 2 derby 3" worked for me :D

youtube noob :p

kdjac

More of a lazy youtuber than a noob.

Anyway, great player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Anyway, great player
    Ehh, no.

Ehh, no.

United fan?! :D

How a City fan once described Paulo -

"If you put Paulo in a telephone box with 5 oposition players he would come out with the ball, if you put him on his own in a field he would run straight into the tree"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Good player, yes.

Great player, no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Totally forgot about him until last year when I was watching some footy in Japan and Wanchope's name popped up...

Good player.. I thought he'd have a few years left in him playing in MLS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Archimedes wrote: »
    Good player, yes.

Great player, no.

Entertaining player yes
    frustrating player yes:D

Shame, I always enjoyed watching him play.

Advertisement