Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy bamboo plants

• 17-11-2007 2:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Does anybody have an idea as to where I can buy some bamboo plants around Dublin? Do they come in pots or bare root? Should I plant them in the soil (beside my neighbours fence or decking) or keep them potted? Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

You should be able to get bamboo in any garden centre . They can be planted in the soil but ask for one of the less invasive forms as they can quickly become a jungle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Bamboos are very popular and many varieties are available. Phyllostachys varieties are most popular, available in green, black and yellow stems, and in a variety (barerooted not IMO) of sizes. Another variety with larger leaf: Metake, generally growing to about 1800mm/6'0", whereas Phyllostachys Aurea will easily reach 4000mm/15'0".

This variety are naturally clumpers ie sread approx 1200mm/4'0" but do require monitoring for any straying root/shoots. Can also be grown successfully in pots/containers, but regular watering is essential. Bamboos prefer sheltered sites, but moisture is critical. Lack of tending to be #1 reason for casualties.

Bamboos can also be grown in Raised Beds, sometimes in order to curtail growth/prevent any unecessary lateral /pressure on decks, we've plant bamboos in large rectangular water tanks, the robust tanks curtailing root development but equally trapping all valauable moisture. Where possible we've also run the land drains to take rain/water run off into the planted areas.

A smaller but equally easily managed variety would be Arunaraia Simba (Ht < 1500mm/5'0" + Sp < 450mm/18").

Regular feeding very important.

Good selection + prices available from Scalpwood Nurseries, Enniskerry Road, Kilternan (opposite Ski Slope).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 direct

Hi,

There is a website called www.irelandsegarden.com which supplies bamboo plants and other plants. I've used them before for plants and they are very good price and quality. I just checked and their cheapest bamboo is 20 euro

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Tulleys Nurseries or Mount Venus Nursery are good for bamboos of all types and sizes

Advertisement