Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb Metro

Options
  • 17-11-2007 6:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭

Anyone using this in North Dublin, specifically in Malahide/Swords area? Looking at upgrading my 2Mb Eircom to 5Mb, and wireless is the only option for those speeds.

If so, is it reliable/stable and does it really hold at 5Mb? Or am I just better to stick with 2Mb until the Malahide exchange is upgraded (2099 at the current rate)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I'm on metro, 2km outside normal range in Limerick.
    203089612.png
    There is contention.

On the 3Mbps package, hardly noticeable.

Pings can drop to 25ms when it's not so busy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭conjamuk

Digiweb is the only mobile broadband comparable to dsl perfect for online gaming.

Watty how are you getting 11mbps on a 3mb package thats impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

watty wrote: »
    I'm on metro, 2km outside normal range in Limerick.
    203089612.png
    There is contention.

On the 3Mbps package, hardly noticeable.

Pings can drop to 25ms when it's not so busy.

Am I seeing things or is that 11Mb down?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Business package.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

conjamuk wrote: »
    Digiweb is the only mobile broadband comparable to dsl perfect for online gaming.

Metro is fixed wireless

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Digiweb metro and digiweb mobile bb are 2 very different (albeit both good) technologies.

North Dublin is the only place where one could possibly get either of them for now, the rest of the country has metro if anything.

conjamuk wrote: »

Watty how are you getting 11mbps on a 3mb package thats impressive.

Sorry, no that is a 10Mbps package. Sometimes its 8Mbps. Sometimes seems to be 6Mbps on Speed tests, but it's actually the speed test maxing out as a download test from ftp.heanet maybe much faster.

The OP had asked about 5Mbps, and I was illustrating that indeed faster packages exist.

I thought I had a 3M as well to post a speed test on, but the lads in HQ seem to have upgraded it to 10Mbps also. I'll have to get them to stick it back to 3M.

on 3Mbps you get near 3Mbps mostly. It does drop a bit at very busy times.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Digiweb metro and digiweb mobile bb are 2 very different (albeit both good) technologies.

North Dublin is the only place where one could possibly get either of them for now, the rest of the country has metro if anything.

There is also two types of business Wireless to replace leased lines or SDSL. Plus a 3.6GHz Wireless in some areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Sorry, no that is a 10Mbps package. Sometimes its 8Mbps. Sometimes seems to be 6Mbps on Speed tests, but it's actually the speed test maxing out as a download test from ftp.heanet maybe much faster.

The OP had asked about 5Mbps, and I was illustrating that indeed faster packages exist.

I thought I had a 3M as well to post a speed test on, but the lads in HQ seem to have upgraded it to 10Mbps also. I'll have to get them to stick it back to 3M.

Will ya go way....thats the last phone call I would be making :D

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭boomslang

Hi,
    does anyone know the location of the mast for Balbriggan. I want to order metro but obviously line of site is essential. So if anyone has an idea I can at least have a look in the right direction to get an idea.
    Hopefully if I can get 5mb metro it'll save me €15 on my current IBB/Eircom line cost!!
    Thanks.

Boomslang

• Advertisement

Ring Digiweb. They know where all the mast sites are.

Thanks Watty, will do! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Watty gets 10Mbps in the sticks of Limerick and then does moon bounces and A-Radio at what rate watty - about 8k baud? :) I dunno....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

To dig this up; thanks for the replies. Watty gives me hope that it's actually any use :)

I'm really looking for anyone using it in Malahide though...terrain is a bit hilly and depending on where the trasmitter is I'm hesitant about signal seeing as where I live is a complete mobile blackspot.

No.. Moon Bounce is only a few bps. 1000times slower.
    8kbps is High Speed meteor Scatter Communication. It's not very consistent or reliable but does allow 500 to 2500 Miles for VHF, UHF etc.

137kHz uses QRSS... maybe a 0.033 Hz wide filter via DSP and thus ALL NIGHT to receive a short message (recorded via PC and played at "normal" speed in the morning).

See http://www.nitehawk.com/rasmit/ws1_1.html about Moon Bounce. The path length makes normal Satellite latency look tiny.

On 10GHz though I have a theory how to do 400Mbps (before FEC).

Looks like I can only get 4g with Digiweb where I am but I dont like the cost of the gear or the cap so I'm looking elsewhere!

Advertisement