Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amp levels

• 17-11-2007 10:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭

Someone has told me that you should turn your amp up to full, then connect
    your mixer and adjust the volume with it and the gain. Is this reccomended?

DJ Spider

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

DJ_Spider wrote: »
    Someone has told me that you should turn your amp up to full, then connect
    your mixer and adjust the volume with it and the gain. Is this reccomended?

DJ Spider

I really wouldn't.... Personally I'd find a threshold - both working about 60% to give you some headroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

You should be setting your power amplifier output levels at 'max', or 0dB. Now, if you run your rig into clipping -which I'll assume most DJs do for fun- you'll blow a speaker regardless where your output levels are set on the amp.

Some amps have built in Clip Limit protection, for example Crown XTi's you can set the limiter to kick in at -3, -6 or even -12dB before clip. That's an invaluable tool I can tell thee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Savman wrote: »
    You should be setting your power amplifier output levels at 'max', or 0dB. Now, if you run your rig into clipping -which I'll assume most DJs do for fun- you'll blow a speaker regardless where your output levels are set on the amp.

Some amps have built in Clip Limit protection, for example Crown XTi's you can set the limiter to kick in at -3, -6 or even -12dB before clip. That's an invaluable tool I can tell thee.

So if your amp output is set to 0 (or say, 1 (10-15%) for the sake of argument) and the input levels go into the red, you're saying you'll blow a speaker? I don't follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

jimi_t wrote: »
    So if your amp output is set to 0 (or say, 1 (10-15%) for the sake of argument) and the input levels go into the red, you're saying you'll blow a speaker? I don't follow.
    When you have your Power Amp on full, that is called "0dB"
    It works backwards, so when you reduce the level it goes -10dB, -20dB and so forth. What I'm saying is, it's common conception that it's harder to blow a speaker if you just reduce the output level on the amp. In fact, you can do more damage that way because with transient sounds your speaker could start looking for more power from the amp, but the amp wont give it because you fecked with the levels. Recipe for disaster.

You should be setting your poweramp output at Max level, then use your Input gains + Master faders on your mixing desk to get the cleanest possible signal. 'Red lights' are not cool and running your rig into them will blow something, guaranteed.

If you have to crank your PA system at full steam, you need a bigger system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

if you're switching it on for the first time, have EVERYTHING at set to be as quiet as possible.

then you slowly and gradually turn everything up and fgind a level you're comfortable with

nothing should be in the red

always switch on your decks, then your mixer, then your amp

when switching things off, switch off you amp first, then your mixer, then your decks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Savman wrote: »
    When you have your Power Amp on full, that is called "0dB"
    It works backwards, so when you reduce the level it goes -10dB, -20dB and so forth. What I'm saying is, it's common conception that it's harder to blow a speaker if you just reduce the output level on the amp. In fact, you can do more damage that way because with transient sounds your speaker could start looking for more power from the amp, but the amp wont give it because you fecked with the levels. Recipe for disaster.

You should be setting your poweramp output at Max level, then use your Input gains + Master faders on your mixing desk to get the cleanest possible signal. 'Red lights' are not cool and running your rig into them will blow something, guaranteed.

If you have to crank your PA system at full steam, you need a bigger system.

I agree totally.

Personally I leave a tiny bit of headroom on the amp, but work all levels thereafter off the mixer.

Advertisement