Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Full Driving Licence Renewel; Need Help

Options
  • 17-11-2007 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

HI,

Yes i am an idiot. I needed a car for my new job starting in two weeks which I bought.

Of course, i am just after realising that my full licence is out of date and i need to get it renewed.

I was wondering how long does it take to renew it? or is there i fast track way like passports where you can go to the office in dublin?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Should only take a few days by presenting it the normal way at the local Motor Tax Office. Longest I have ever waited was 3 days for it to comeback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭streaker

Thanks for that.

Its out by a year, i wonder does that slow it down a bit. i dont know how to god i didnt see it. luckily havent been driving.

Can i present the receipt from the tax office to insuracne companies?

Usually they won't accept receipts, they want the real deal.

So long as it is not out by more than 10 years there will be no problems and it won't be slowed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Bring all your details to the motor tax office (form signed photos etc) first thing in the morning and explain the urgency. You'll be able to collect your licence that afternoon. I had to do this before.

Thats great,

I thought it would take me two-three weeks,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I applied for mine Wednesday morning and it was delivered by the postman on Friday morning..

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

streaker wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

Its out by a year, i wonder does that slow it down a bit. i dont know how to god i didnt see it. luckily havent been driving.

Can i present the receipt from the tax office to insuracne companies?

Well I would think that there are a fair few people driving around with expired licences without knowing it. Some people forget that they expire, you dont get any notice like you do with motor tax. My bro's was out for a good while before he noticed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

that happens to lots of people
    just like those who realise at the airport that there passport is out of date and cant travel

im sure there loads driving without a licence and not realising it

you can go to the tax office and just drop in the form, photos etc and shud hav it back in a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Bring all your details to the motor tax office (form signed photos etc) first thing in the morning and explain the urgency. You'll be able to collect your licence that afternoon. I had to do this before.
    Pretty sure they insist on posting it out - no collection allowed. That is to ensure that the address you have given is valid.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

esel wrote: »
    Pretty sure they insist on posting it out - no collection allowed. That is to ensure that the address you have given is valid.

Like I said I did it. It's the same story with a passport. In my case I realised my licence was expired a couple of days prior to going on holidays where I had to hire a car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Bond-007 wrote: »
    So long as it is not out by more than 10 years there will be no problems and it won't be slowed up.
    Driving on an expired licence in a very minor offence - I've never heard of anyone being 'done' for it.
    caesar wrote: »
    Well I would think that there are a fair few people driving around with expired licences without knowing it
    Yup - the country is full of them!
    esel wrote: »
    Usually, but the people of Cork seem to be treated differently and can get it at the counter.
    Like I said I did it. It's the same story with a passport
    An expired passport is an entirely different matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭scaramanga

got mine renewed straight away last week, we're very efficient in kerry;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

IIRC, my mam's friend's dad had to resit his test because his licence was out by more than 12 months. He was over 70 at the time, so I don't kow if that's a factor as I know it is at renewal time with medicals required etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ninty9er wrote: »
    IIRC, my mam's friend's dad had to resit his test because his licence was out by more than 12 months
    It was probably out by 12 months over the 10 years - i.e. 11 years out of date! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

My License was expired by 2 months and i had to go to court after receiving a summons for "NO LICENSE"

Got a 75 euro fine so its not a big deal.

However i believe you have to re-sit your test if you leave it go over the 12 months.

However i believe you have to re-sit your test if you leave it go over the 12 months.
    It is 10 years.

Thanks for your help.

Went in today, take no more than Thursday to get it back.

Also said i can call in and collect it, they took my number and said they would give me a ring.

PHEW

Advertisement