Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passage, wedge tombs, dolmens and court cairns

Options
  • 17-11-2007 12:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of some site with detailed information on these?

Also, would there be information on how these are protected by heritage laws?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Megalithomania is a good site for all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Thanks a lot europerson. What about legislation and how it protects these monuments?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

All archaeological monuments in Ireland are protected by the 1990 National Monuments Act. I know you specifically asked for websites but a very good book for general archaeology is Waddell's Prehistoric Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Can I also recommend Gabriel Cooney's works. His ideas on lanscapes and monuments are interesting. Landscapes of Neolithic Ireland, is the one to start with.

• Advertisement

Thats the one, thanks boneless.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

National Monuments Act 1930 offered original protection to sites

Ammendment 1954 - closes loophole for exporting artefacts out of the country as a result of the "emly shrine controversy"

Ammendment 1987 - Prohibits the use of metal detectors as a result of the Derrynaflan hoard and gives ownership of all archaeological sites/finds to the State.

Ammendment 1994 - Following Woodquay removes protection by giving more control to the minister (FF) and breaks up Duchas (heritage protection who has a say in the removal of sites)

Ammendment 2004 - Following Carickmines, in order to save themselves from having to answer for their actions and face further legal action against unpopular decisions the Minister was given sole descretion to removal or preservation of sites (relevant to Tara)

Ammendment 2009 - (i bet my mother that we will see one following the construction of the motorway at the M3 to make it even more difficult to challenge Govermental decisions. Oh how I love democracy.)

FF have removed 60 years of accumulated protection to archaeological sites to remove any possible legal objections so in essence the 1930 act is nul and void should it prove "not in the social & economic interest"

OP if you really want to talk about Megalithic tombs... and I hope you do! Try having a quick look over JEREMY DRONFIELD's work on neurocognative nature of megalithic artwork. Its very intresting.

Regards
    G

You the man.

Thanks a lot ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Elizabeth Shee-Twohig also has a few useful publications out there as well as a few periodicals. Although as mentioned above, Waddels book is excellent.

God Waddels book, very good indeed :)

• Advertisement

Which sites prompted your interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

What sites would you reccomend visiting?

where are you located?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

North West, I've been to most of them in this region but anywhere else, I wouldnt mind travelling.

Advertisement