Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time heatsink install,advice needed

Options
  • 17-11-2007 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭

Sorry for the basic question, i got a new evo 4x4inch heatsink from maplins,for an athlon 64, theres no manual, will it be compatible with my new athlon 64 4200x2 cpu.IT has a peel off strip underneath.I ASSUME , there is thermal compound underneath, would there be anypoint in applying extra cooling compound on cpu,artic silver, or should i just use whatever is on the cooler.I,VE built 7 pcs but when i got the mobos,there was already a cpu cooler installed. ITS the first time ,ive installed a full size cooler for a x2 cpu.I have the mobo manual ,and drivers cd.On box it says heatsink for athlon64s,pentium 4s.I,LL read full manual,and take it real slow,re mobo install.
    I,VE no interest in overclocking cpu.When i have it all working ,ill start looking for a fast pci-e card 256meg ddr3.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Sometimes more is less.

Don't over do the thermal paste, it can reverse the intended effect.

Depending on you needs you should run with either the paste supplied or totally clean it off & run with your own, but never with both.

If the machine is not going to be over taxed? then the stock paste supplied with the cooler should be more then adequate.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

http://www.arcticsilver.com/ins_route_step2amdas5.html

great instructions on how to apply thermal paste.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

if it has a patch already don't put extra paste on, the patch is designed to work correctly, it will transfer the heat to the sink. If you lash on paste you are often just spreading the heat around. Just stick in on..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

I just installed it as is ,i just noticed the heatsink paste width ,circumference is 20percent less than the cpu surface,the paste is in a circle.after i install windows ,ill check the cpu temp .I installed evo heatsink ,5inch high x4inch wide ,its easy to install ,just 2 screws into a mobo frame.Cost 32euro, in maplins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Just check those temps and post them up!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement
Advertisement