Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feckin' Interweb!

• 17-11-2007 1:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so the speil first; Broadband woudn't work in Kilmurray Village, so being the resourceful individual that I am, I looked for wireless devices and hey bisto, Kilmurray Village Hall provided us with net access for ~3 weeks or so. Then it went. Which mean't that I had to go down to the village reception and enter in the itd yoke into the proxy settings. All was well and good.

Now the problem is this; I decided to bring home my merry old lappy to use wireless and net this weekend cos I have stuff on it which I need to use and I couldn't be bothered putting it on a flash stick, truth be told. Now I can't connect to the wireless bb in my house or even connect when I have the cable in it.

T'is driving me crackers. Cream crackers. So would any of ouyr comp sysers, Kai, Rmcm, Petee et al be able to offer me up a tasty solution to this nasty surprise?

Merci ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Ah it appears my nice sticky thread hasn't covered everything. The most probable reason that you can't access the web at home is because your browser(s) are still set up to use the UL proxy.

From IE:

Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections -> Lan settings and then untick the check box beside "Use a proxy server for your LAN".

From Firefox:

Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Network. Click the settings button under the connections heading and select the "Direct connection to the internet" option.

This should sort you out for web browsing at home. When you go back to UL you'll have to change it back to work with the UL proxy. The settings should be preserved anyway so all you'll have to do is retick the checkboxes that you unticked above.

Cheers
    Rory

P.S. When I return to Limerick for a drinking session I'll be expecting pints for this :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Are you wifi or LAN settings set to DHCP or manual?

Have you removed the itd proxy settings?

Simple stuff I know but still need a bit more info.

DAMN YOU RMACM! Damn slow ass reply button :mad:

kaimera wrote: »
    Are you wifi or LAN settings set to DHCP or manual?

They should be set to DHCP by default. If you're using a laptop in one of the villages it'll be setup to use DHCP and unless you're like me your home wireless router will also be set up to provide addresses via DHCP.

Cheers
    Rory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭cson

Courtesy of your good self rmacm, I'm now typing this from the comfort of my couch in front of the fire. So yeah, thats deserving of a pint or 12 in my book.

Cheers, thanks for the reply and help, appreciate it.

You're welcome....it's gone a small way to restoring my faith in humanity that someone has said thanks lol.

Cheers
    Rory

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

:( I want some of the accolade :(

This sucks.

perhaps I should delete & edit posts to suit myself..hmmm...

Touch them and die......I know where you live (and work) :p

Advertisement