Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

problems i ve got so far ... 5th yr

• 17-11-2007 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭

hello lovely people its me again ..:)
    i was talking to some of you guys in the summer
    i been told do some work in 5th yr..and i thought i was well prepared but the reality is wow 5th yr is harder than what i thought!anyway,ive got problems so plz help again :confused:

maths..we ve got differentiation and integration done and staring complex numbers now..how do you guys study for maths? i like maths but can't find an effective way to study for it ..its like if i do 10 question i d bond get 3-4 of them wrong,and part(c)s in the exampapers couldn't really get them right ><

french..i am not so good at languages , its like so much vocabs?just cant stick with them,i how do you actually study for french

for those of ye who does music / applied maths outside school how long and when you do you do them ..i think i spend so little time study for them in them in comparison

i am sorry now i ve got so many questions i am like really lost at the mo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Step back and slow down for a minute.

Maths - I've only just done Complex Numbers now and I'm in 6th Year. Calculus is the hardest topic on the course and not being able to do the c parts is expected. If you could do the entire exam in 5th year then the Leaving Cert Exam would take place in 5th Year. If you were to reach your peak now, things would get downhill from there. You should be working at your optimum performance at the end of 6th Year. The best thing to do is to make sure that you can do the a and b parts of the questions and concentrate on the c parts next year. Judging by your post you seem to be going for the A1 and possibly a higher grade if one existed! I too am hoping to get an A1 and in 5th Year i couldn't do most of the c parts either! The best way to study for maths is to do question after question after question. And if you've done all the questions, do them again.

French - Teachers say vocab all the time. Do you know every word in the English language? The answer is probably no so there is no need to know every word in the French/German language. Learning vocab is fine but limit it. Pick a topic e.g. environment. Find 15 words and learn them. That's all you need and more. If you are worried about letters just learn phrases. Learning vocab that has no potential is pointless and well cause you to burn out.

I'm a little confused by your last sentence. You should read over it again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

I do Applied Maths every Thursday after school and it lasts about 1 and a half hours. It's alright but don't do the homework on the very last day since you'll end up forgetting how to do the questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

For the Maths exam the questions each have a few different types. Once you know what you're doing just learn the different types of questions and then go through them a few times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

alan4cult wrote: »
    Step back and slow down for a minute.

Maths - I've only just done Complex Numbers now and I'm in 6th Year. Calculus is the hardest topic on the course and not being able to do the c parts is expected. If you could do the entire exam in 5th year then the Leaving Cert Exam would take place in 5th Year. If you were to reach your peak now, things would get downhill from there. You should be working at your optimum performance at the end of 6th Year. The best thing to do is to make sure that you can do the a and b parts of the questions and concentrate on the c parts next year. Judging by your post you seem to be going for the A1 and possibly a higher grade if one existed! I too am hoping to get an A1 and in 5th Year i couldn't do most of the c parts either! The best way to study for maths is to do question after question after question. And if you've done all the questions, do them again.

haha, and thx for your advice ...and you right i really want do good in maths ..but it seemed really hard...um our teacher said he wanted us to do the pre paper 1 with the 6th yrs in february,he is flying thu the course ..>< and going thu the exampapers and all... he said if we could do them now it's like 50% of paper 1 done!! and i was there i couldn't do part(c)s at all ..=)

Nehpets wrote: »
    For the Maths exam the questions each have a few different types. Once you know what you're doing just learn the different types of questions and then go through them a few times
    thanks mate :D

Fringe wrote: »
    I do Applied Maths every Thursday after school and it lasts about 1 and a half hours. It's alright but don't do the homework on the very last day since you'll end up forgetting how to do the questions.

....we don't even get homework ....
    and do ye use a Applied maths book?because we don't (but i was thinking to get one)
    ..coz it hard to follow her sometimes :))

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭eoghan h

wow ye're moving fast!! We only did Integration this year in leaving Cert..

The best way to study for maths is buy Mathsbank. Its a book with loads of questions with the answers...they start off easy ans slowly get harder. You shoud get the book and keep practicing questions

As for French.....drop to pass like I did :)

eoghan h wrote: »
    wow ye're moving fast!! We only did Integration this year in leaving Cert..

The best way to study for maths is buy Mathsbank. Its a book with loads of questions with the answers...they start off easy ans slowly get harder. You shoud get the book and keep practicing questions

As for French.....drop to pass like I did :)

thank you ^ ^
    it that pretty same as them less stress more success and revise wise revison books? lol i dun like french that much maths is handier??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Mathsbank has lot of mistakes in it, so you need to be careful about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

re applied maths, you need to spend a lot of time on this if you are only doing it in grinds. I do it in school and have 5 classes a week, there are so many little things to be covered in it, the chances are you will cover maybe 6 or 7 topics, you have to answer 6 but alot of tricky questions come up from time to time, theres little bits that you have to spend time on etc,

there are two main books, the one i use is fundemental applied maths by oliver murphy i think, you will have to get extra things from your teacher though because its not comprehensive, also, try to do a few questions a week from the book or you fast wont have a clue

timmywex wrote:
    there are two main books, the one i use is fundemental applied maths by oliver murphy i think, you will have to get extra things from your teacher though because its not comprehensive,

What "extra things"? I used that book exclusively, for the LC and it covered everything that I needed to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Just one thing I thought I'd say, the hardest part of the senior cycle so far for me was the first part of 5th year up until x mass, maybe I just got used to the work load but I found things way easier after and my grades have improved dramatically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

timmywex wrote: »
    re applied maths, you need to spend a lot of time on this if you are only doing it in grinds. I do it in school and have 5 classes a week, there are so many little things to be covered in it, the chances are you will cover maybe 6 or 7 topics, you have to answer 6 but alot of tricky questions come up from time to time, theres little bits that you have to spend time on etc,

there are two main books, the one i use is fundemental applied maths by oliver murphy i think, you will have to get extra things from your teacher though because its not comprehensive, also, try to do a few questions a week from the book or you fast wont have a clue
    That's bollocks. I had one 2 hour class a week in 5th year which I never did the homework for, only covered 3 topics with and got 60% in the only test we ever got in it. In 6th year I did it on my own with only Fundamental Applied Maths and the internet and came out with an A2 in the end. You don't need anything extra from your teacher and you certainly don't need 5 classes a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Just a question for anybody who did Honours Maths: What did you have covered by Christmas in 5th year as my class seems to go awfully slow. =/

Anyway I do Applied Maths one and a half hours every week on a Saturday morning. I normally do the homework somewhere between Wed-Fri to see if I can actually remember what I did and that's worked pretty well for me so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

Im in 5th year aswell and we are only finishing trigonometry now, I do applied maths on mondays for 1hr after school and i try to do my homework that evening, fairly screwed in french might drop down to pass.

firstly can i just say thank you so much for ur comments!! i really appreciate it..like no one in real life could give me advice like that apparently i am like the oldest??[/B]

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    Mathsbank has lot of mistakes in it, so you need to be careful about that.

really? and alot? in what way
    timmywex wrote: »

thanks , it pretty sickening to be honest coz she just went thu exampaper questions and basically does the questions for us ...so i need a book and lucky you it wasnt even been offered on our school O__O
    1huge1 wrote: »
    Just one thing I thought I'd say, the hardest part of the senior cycle so far for me was the first part of 5th year up until x mass, maybe I just got used to the work load but I found things way easier after and my grades have improved dramatically.

aw.......!!! i hope i d be the same ...=)))))))))))))))and that gives me something to looking forward to lol
    Davidius wrote: »
    Just a question for anybody who did Honours Maths: What did you have covered by Christmas in 5th year as my class seems to go awfully slow. =/
    QUOTE]

thx m8, i had do mine in lunch time and afterschool , like i ve maths 3 tyms during the day and AM after school..><

what have ye done so far?

eoccork wrote: »
    Im in 5th year aswell and we are only finishing trigonometry now, I do applied maths on mondays for 1hr after school and i try to do my homework that evening, fairly screwed in french might drop down to pass.

how are you finding them so far mate? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

Xhristy wrote: »

off what ^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭eoghan h

I've completed all the Intergration, Differentiation and Complex numbers questions off mathsbank and I've only found 1 mistake! I really think mathsbank is the way forward!!

Drop to pass french!! the country sucks as much as the language.....i wish i could have done spanish!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

just to take one area out of the applied maths bok that is lacking, the variations in questions for linear motion is huge, the book misses out on the whole section of gravity for that area, and they just miss it, and for say projeciles, you have to get a fair bit of practice at them because of all the messy sin's and cas's business.

Some people can get through the subject with little bother, but be aware, you should do some questions, put things into a pratical form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭manicmonoliths

How much should you have done in Maths by Xmas 5th year? I'd say not very much.

I had a really good teacher in 5th year and until Xmas she only really focused on stuff we already knew and tried to build on that. So we did algebra, the line and trigonometry because we already knew most of that from JC. We didn't touch Calculus until at least April.

Its really important to be good at algebra though because it comes up in basically every part of the course!

~Candy~ wrote: »
    really? and alot? in what way

A lot of the answers at the back of the book are wrong, as well as spelling errors in questions and just general ****-ups in laying out the questions. Your math teacher is probably familiar with the book, so ask him/her about it - ditto if you can't solve a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭irishmonkey

Help!

Im going HL Maths, but im completely lost.
    I have been since the beginning of Ty, and i think about 65% of the rest of the class is.
    I have a terrible terrible teacher.
    And i know what your thinking - its, not the teacher, its the work your putting in, or lack there of..
    But its not that. I sit in that class and get constant headaches because i ahve no idea whats going on.

I used to be very good in maths, and i am quite smart.

But this classes is really worrying me, and im not the only person.

Any advice as to what i can do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

maths eh?did honours back in 2 yrs ago:D
    you need to spend time on them!download and print out all the solution of past year papers,i suppose you know where to get them?*free*
    do all of them at least twice,and of course you know exactly how/why they work like that.guarantee an A1 i would say:p oh,forget to mention,get those concise maths books,blue and green cover,best books ever.

applied maths?anyone here go to institute?cant remember the teacher 's name,but he is the guy who wrote the book!just study and do the homework,prepare 7 questions fully and you will be granted

take it easy ,mate!good luck!:D

edit:
    ahye,the guy!that awesome oliver murphy!!love his teaching :)

aww thx everybody..

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

~Candy~ wrote: »
    how are you finding them so far mate? :)

The applied maths seems easy enough so far the book we are using is a bit unclear, am the maths is ok , even though our class is going very slow through each topic. French is boring and confusing :(

eoccork wrote: »
    The applied maths seems easy enough so far the book we are using is a bit unclear, am the maths is ok , even though our class is going very slow through each topic. French is boring and confusing :(

:( yeah sickening reli. which book are ye using

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Hooly22

Davidius wrote: »

Anyway I do Applied Maths one and a half hours every week on a Saturday morning. I normally do the homework somewhere between Wed-Fri to see if I can actually remember what I did and that's worked pretty well for me so far.

I'm in 5th year... and we've done.. Triganometry 1..Co-Ordinate Geom-The line... Differentiation.. and half way through calculas!!
    I like maths... but my grades are all over the place!

Finding 5th year hard! Exams in a week.. NOT prepared.

Just wondering whether to drop to pass maths.... How do you know!! Got an A in my Junior cert.... but that's pimps compared to this stuff!

I'm not linguistic... HATE spanish!

Biology and Home ec.... love!

English.. grand but SICK of adrienne rich!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Whoah whoah whoah whoah, since when is Rich on our English course? Thought our only female poet was Bishop?

Oh God.

Advertisement