Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

focus zetec or focus lx for bumpy road

Options
  • 17-11-2007 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

I'm looking to upgrade my hyundai accent. I've leaning towards the current focus.

The accent isn't the best car but one thing its good at is coping with the bumps on the bog road leading to my house. It can bounce along at 55-60 no problem, whereas some cars need to slow right down to 40-45 or they'll burst their sumps on the worst of the bumps. Since I need to travel along about 2 miles of this road to get anywhere, its important that the car I choose can cope with bumps.

I know the focus zetec is supposed to have stiffer suspension than the LX. I'm not sure which would be better for the bumps. Anyone got any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

Drove my mates 01 Focus 1.6 Zetec last night and it handled all the bumps really well. Stick with the Zetec cos its a better spec level as well over the LX.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

stiffer suspension is less likely to bottom out on bumps. my car has no suspension to speak of and copes very well on bumpy backroads. My problem is with cars with too soft suspension.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I've owned, believe it or not, 6 Focus Zetecs. The ride and handling compromise in them is top notch.

It'll be streets ahead of your current car in every respect.

p.s. Get a 1.6 if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

I have a focus Zetec. It is fine on bumpy roads, although noticibly firmer (and less comfortable) that some cars.

p.s. Get a 1.6 if you can.

Seconded. The 1.4 is too small to enjoy the car with

PS Henry, do you still have the Aygo (figured out during the week that "Aygo by Toyota" is an anagram of "A gay booty toy")

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I sold it yesterday Colm :D

Excellent work. you happy with how much you got for it?

It cost me nothing, so I'm thrilled tbh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

The best car I ever had for maintaining high speeds on rough roads was a Peugeot 406 2.0.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

1.6 Focus Zetec as suggested, just make sure it has the standard 16" alloys rather than the optional 17" ones that alot seem to have. The 17" alloys may make the ride that bit harder and may not last long on poor roads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭tribesman

Thanks everyone.
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    stiffer suspension is less likely to bottom out on bumps.

Yeah. That is what I suspected, but the accent wouldn't have very stiff suspension, and it copes well.

One thing is for sure. I won't be getting an octavia Tdi. I'd need a spare sump in the boot!

Advertisement