Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SA WC qualifiers

• 17-11-2007 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Someone posted in another thread that the standard of international football is poor....LOL

Argentina on at 8 vs Bolivia to make a mockery of that post.

Paraguay v Ecuador on at 12ish.

Brazil on morrow night, all games on Sky.

Brazil and Argie players are the leading scorers in the CL, touted as 2 best teams in the world and barely any of their players play in their home countries, england are spot on with the foreigner quota idea ;)

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

if Fawlty Towers was a soccer league it would be the Brazilian League.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

KdjaCL wrote: »

Brazil and Argie players are the leading scorers in the CL, touted as 2 best teams in the world and barely any of their players play in their home countries, england are spot on with the foreigner quota idea ;)
    No way. Brazil & Argentina both have social and economical issues so you really can't compare what goes on in South America to the rules and regulations in the UK & Europe. This foreigner quota notion is never gonna happen as long as the EU remains. It's an unwinnable fight for anyone to pursue, you simply can't stop intra-EU employment opportunities it's all like one big state now.
    While the max quota on foreign players may hold water in a footballing sense, it would have a knock on effect to other industries so personally I can't ever see it happening. There is more to the issue than just football, it has other implications.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Actually I think Brazil and Argentina have the best situation for national teams.
    What happens is all of their players grow up and gain experience in the national leagues from an early age.
    Then they go off and play for the top European clubs. Because of this, they never stop younger talent from rising.
    It's the best situation there is really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Game isnt live, was checking live scores and seen the HT result, damn sky!!!!

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Riquelme you beauty..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Riquelme is a genius. Who in there right mind wouldnt want him in there tream. The Villareal situation is a disgrace to football.

tdv wrote: »
    Riquelme is a genius. Who in there right mind wouldnt want him in there tream. The Villareal situation is a disgrace to football.

To be fair he let villareal down on over 10 occasions with his conduct, they gave him numerous warnings. He is an absolute genius, but he does need 2 DMFs behind him to get the best from him, which is why he wont fit into alot of teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Riquelme is a ridiculously gifted attacking footballer. Best striker of the ball in the world.

Archimedes wrote: »
    Riquelme is a ridiculously gifted attacking footballer. Best striker of the ball in the world.

As the commentator said, when he gets a free kick in those positions its pretty much as if its a penalty.

1-0 Brazil vs Peru 1/2 Time. Kaka with a 25 yard lobby sort of goal.

Harsh on Peru who have played well but just don't have the quality. Brazil have been dissapointing. Ronaldinho has done nothing, Robinho's tricks havent came off, V.Love hasnt done alot & the full backs havent gotten forward enough. Oh & Minerio is usless he's the worst player to ever play for Brazil.

But it's been a pretty good game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

tdv wrote: »
    1-0 Brazil vs Peru 1/2 Time. Kaka with a 25 yard lobby sort of goal.

Harsh on Peru who have played well but just don't have the quality. Brazil have been dissapointing. Ronaldinho has done nothing, Robinho's tricks havent came off, V.Love hasnt done alot & the full backs havent gotten forward enough. Oh & Minerio is usless he's the worst player to ever play for Brazil.

But it's been a pretty good game.

Kakas goal was quality. He did absolutely nothing before that, so he can't possibly be world class can he?;)
    Thats how a lot of people on here go on about C. Ronaldo in for example a game like the one v Arsenal recently where he scored and had an assist!

...Uruguay v Chile before this game was an absolute cracker. Finished 2-2.
    Marcelo Salas scored 2....where the hell did he resurrect from:eek:
    Haven't heard from him in years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Ronaldinho is playing awfully. Brazil are lucky to be winning if you ask me.

Pizarro has the first touch of Tony Adams.

Talking to myself here, only way to be sure of intelligent conversation I guess!

Vagner Love is woeful, can't understand why he's a first-teamer for Brazil.

Ronaldinho off for Elano, I expect some sparks.

Interesting to see Solano playing as an attacking winger, he's very handy!

Come on Peru!

Juan hit bar for Brazil with last kick of game. Finished 1-1...Peru equaliser was Lucio og.

South American qualifying is so flawed. Too many games - 18 each, so Brazil can afford to not turn up in this game and others to follow and still stroll through qualifying.

Just saw Ronaldinho without his shirt, good to see he's not letting remarks about his fitness get to him.

Dunga is strange coach to put it nicley.

He puts Minerio in the starting line-up & leaves a player like Renato out of the squad.

Ronaldinho has to be dropped. He's always been terrible for Brazil & he's had a poor season so far for Barcelona. Cleary just living of his reputation. He needs to take lessons from Riquelme on how to be a world class playmaker.

V.Love seems to score a goal once every 20-30 games for Brazil. Not a world class player. They would be much better with someone like Fabino or A.Alves.

D.Alves should also be in the starting line-up even if it means Maicon is dropped. Alves can play either side I think. Gilberto is no world beater either. Adriano of Sevilla can left back he should be in there aswell.

Venezuela 5 Bolivia 3

Please tell me someone else was watching this game!

Fecking unbelievable!!

Storming comeback from Venezuela to go 4 - 3 ahead in the closing seconds. Bolivia keeper then bottled it and pretended he was injured. Replaced by an outfield player and from the kick off Venezuela steal the ball back and the hapless 'keeper' is lobbed from all of 50 yards to finish the game off...thrilling stuff.

...Roll on Colombia v Argentina, kicking off in 10 mins - I won't be sleeping tonight:D
    ...And who said international football was boring:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Brilliant game alright Nunu. Venezuala went to 40/1 in running when they went 3-2 down. That last goal was magic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Pardon my ignorance but why have these kicked off so quickly but European teams only find out their groups later this week? Are their rankings/seedings already complete because of Copa America?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

shane86 wrote: »
    Pardon my ignorance but why have these kicked off so quickly but European teams only find out their groups later this week? Are their rankings/seedings already complete because of Copa America?
    I'm guessing they start earelier because they play more games. They play 18 games in total where in Europe its usually 11/12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Yeah that game was amazing...I was going to watch the Argentina game, but I was told to go to bed...so meh. I hate when I miss games because og time zones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Shane86 also remember that the teams in the SA group are all the countries in South America, this is in stark contrast to lets say Europe or Africa(who have 3 stages of qualifying)

Half time: Colombia 0 Argentina 1

What a team the Argies have! A man down at 0-0 after 27 mins when Tevez was ridiculously shown a striaght red for an off the ball trip. Ref didn't see it and actually looked like the 4th official brought it to the linesmans attention. Colombian made a meal of it, yellow at best - no way it was violent conduct.

Despite this set back Argentina have been superb and have completely dominated possession with 10 men.
    Cambiasso, Mascherano and Gago are suberb and the imperious Riquelme is almost comical to watch playing the game at his own pace and no one can get the ball off him:D

Oh and I almost forgot the genius that is Messi has scored yet another wonder goal just before half time!!

estebancambias you really should have stayed up to watch this...it's a joy to behold.

...who remembers World Cup 06 now when the Argie manager went all defensive against the Germans at 1-0 up and left Messi on the bench kicking his heals instead of going for the kill? What a travesty that was. If not for his moment of madness and going against everything Argentina had stood for at that tournament I would be looking at the current world champs right now.

Anyhow, I'm going back to the match...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

Still can't get over that red card. the lino and 4th official were signalling for the ref as if Tevez had just nailed the guy. If the ref had seen it, i doubt he'd even had shown a yellow.

How the lino could see it from a good 60 yards away is quite amazing.

Once again, Messi at his best. magical stuff.

Full-Time: Colombia 2 Argentina 1

I really put the kiss of death on them with my effusive praise:o

Colombia complete 2nd half turnaround. Excellent free kick for equaliser straight over the wall into the top corner(Riquelme style). Winner came with 10 mins to go Colombia breaking the offside trap, just about. Messi should have put Argentina 2 up before all that.

Argentina tired significantly, Riquelme waning especially. Hard to understand he was kept out there for 90m mins when he's played no club football? As far as I recall Argentina also only made 1 sub, Gonzalez for Cambiasso, despite only having 10 men and playing at altitude?

Look forward to Brazil v Uruguay tommorrow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Some crazy **** last night, missed most of it and sundays nights game, damn you super mario galaxy :o

Tevez red was a red imo he had intent and player was always gonna go swimming.

kdjac

Brazil v Uruguay kicking off now.

National anthems accompanied by a massive symphony orchestra and fireworks display....brilliant stuff!:D

edit: 1-1 at the break. Brazil playing shockingly poor. Went behind and should have been worse. Fabiano equalised on 44 mins.

edit: Full-time: 2-1 Brazil - Fabiano brace . Uruguay spurned some great chances...Brazil keeper Cesar made a couple of great saves...probably the man of the match, despite Fabianos goals.

Oh, and Ronaldinho was subbed early in 2nd half after another hopelessly lethargic display.

Brazil have never lost a home World Cup qualifier...what a record:eek:

Advertisement