Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modems

Options
  • 17-11-2007 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all,
    Excuse what is probably a highly ignorant question but I know sweet FA about what I am doing :)
    I currently have broadband with eircom who rent the Netopia Modem at a massive price to me as part of a home starter package and I was wondering if anyone can tell me if I can buy a modem that I can use instead. Am thinking of switching my whole phone/internet etc to Perlico and it is free if you already have a modem. So can I buy one, where would I get it etc etc.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭NeoRox

Try Argos or Komplett (www.komplett.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

www.elara.ie usually have some good deals on all the brands.

My prefeence would be Netgear, but others prefer Linksys.

Have heard of many problems with Belkin and to a lesser extent, D-link.

PC world are a no-no for buying because of their prices.

Boopolo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Eircom do not rent their modems so you may want to recheck that on your bill.
    They provide them free to use for the duration of your contract and it remains their property. They may ask for it back when you cancel but they seldom do. If their is a modem charge on your bill, get onto them asap and get it cancelled. Also demand a refund for what you've already paid them in modem rental.
    If you do switch don't buy anything unless Eircom demand the return of the modem. If they let you keep it you can use it with Perlico and it'll work fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

boopolo wrote: »

PC world are a no-no for buying because of their prices.

Boopolo

While that's true most of the time it all depends on when you hit them.

I bought 6 of these there in the last month and they turned out to be great.
    ZOOM X6 (ADSL 2+) modem + wireless-G router + 4-port switch and firewall
    http://www.zoom.com/products/adsl_overview.html#5590

I got them for €49 each on Special.

I was in there today & they're €70 (Still not a huge price for what you get)

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Tricky45

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Eircom do not rent their modems so you may want to recheck that on your bill.
    They provide them free to use for the duration of your contract and it remains their property. They may ask for it back when you cancel but they seldom do. If their is a modem charge on your bill, get onto them asap and get it cancelled. Also demand a refund for what you've already paid them in modem rental.
    If you do switch don't buy anything unless Eircom demand the return of the modem. If they let you keep it you can use it with Perlico and it'll work fine.

Thanks very much, much appreciated

• Advertisement
Advertisement