Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop gets stuck in boot sequence

• 17-11-2007 6:21pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It wont boot in safe mode or any other mode.

Any ideas guys ????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Do you get anything displayed?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

yes , I get the boot screen with safe mode options , then it attempts to start up and goes back to the same screen .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,375 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

could try downloading a linux live cd, and testing if the system starts with that

sometimes disabling advanced cpu features in the bios can help. disabling multicore processing has worked for me before with driver issues

You need to go into the BIOS F1 usually and see if it is detecting the hard drive.

If its not it could be the hard drive, if it does try putting in a OS disc and try repair the OS.

did you make any changes last time you were on the laptop?

Hardware or Software?

• Advertisement

did you make any changes last time you were on the laptop?

Hardware or Software?

No, it just shut down unexpectedly !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Had that recently myself. Never found the cause after spending about 8 hours on it.

Sometimes you just have to reinstall.

Thanks Guys , I'll have a couple of brews and worry about it tomorrow .

Back to Harvey Normans it will go !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Earth Worm Jim

Sounds like a corrupt boot.ini file or a failed hard drive, try a repair using the windows disc, should sort out the problem or at least let you know if its hardware or software related, if its only new bring it back to where you bought it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 eoinf2000

bought an iquon laptop in late july from tesco and had same problem after awhile.i lost every single thing on the computer because i had to reinstall vista its prob the best thing to do.to be honest im still nervous it'll happen again.i forgot to mention it was a replacemnt laptop because the first one was faulty.DO NOt BUY ANYTHING ELECTRONIC FROM TESCO.they are disastrous when it come to problems in this area they should just stick to groceries.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i bought a cheap machine for my family back in augest, and the the power supply was Gone. Called Iqon, told them what happened, and they said Talk to tesco, tesco said talk to iqon.

I looked at the manager who told me to talk to Iqon Sraight in the eye and said "the sale of goods and supply of services act."

2 seconds later he asked me for my Credit card to Proccess the Refund.
    Foolish Me ended up getting a replacement that got a virus a week later. i suppose i cant blame them for that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

sharkman wrote: »
    Thanks Guys , I'll have a couple of brews and worry about it tomorrow .

Back to Harvey Normans it will go !

If its still under warranty then you're half sorted, only the hassle of going back and getting them to do something about it. If you have any data on it you want to get off it then, as eolhc said, boot from a linux disc and copy your stuff to a memory pen.
    I have a feeling you might have lots of waypoints and such on it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

I have the same problem. How do you get the linux disc? In a normal PC store?

If I reinstall windows will I lose the files on my computer?

Advertisement