Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Architecture Suitability Test

Options
  • 17-11-2007 7:00pm

Hi, I was just wondering could anybody give me an idea of what is on the suitability test for architecture in DIT. I know there are no previous tests available for viewing but if anybody has taken it could you give me a general idea of whats on it? What type of test is it? Is it basically an IQ test or do you have to draw etc. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭-Blanco-

Off the top of my head:

Matrices, basically a series of pictures which represent a pattern of some sort in which you're required to pick the next in sequence out of a list of possible answers. (There are sample tests available online)

Personal information such as why you want to get into the course.

Drawing/design/creativity, in which you must draw a series of mini pictures in panels which already have lines/dots etc drawn in(incorporating them in whatever way you please) and then naming said pictures.

And my least favorite, the personal essay,in which you're given a blank sheet with the title "myself" and told to write for a certain amount of time about, you guessed it, yourself.

Hope that helps in some way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 rira

Try visiting the DIT open day Saturday 1/12/07 in Aungier St, there will be representatives from the school of architecture there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 abdullahiqbal

hiiiii........... i'v applied in architecture at dit.. but.. im not sure of the points... i don't think that i'd get more than 420 points.......... do u know if they'd be good enough???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

Points change from year to year, they might either increase or decrease... Your best bet is to get over 500 to guarantee a place (provided you've passed your suitability test).

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭grodge

hiiiii........... i'v applied in architecture at dit.. but.. im not sure of the points... i don't think that i'd get more than 420 points.......... do u know if they'd be good enough???

well you will need aprox 60/100 in the test to get an interview and then for arguements sake lets say you do a good interview and get 70/100 thats 130 points to add to your leaving result.

so 130 plus your projected 420 is 550 points for architecture. now go and check what thats like compared to past years entry requirements. most places will go in first round offers as its a highly desired course.

i got enough points over all to do architecture but i missed out because i got 56 in the test and cut off was 58 :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Miao

Hi - which would you advise - doing Architecture in UCD or DIT? which is 'better'? Ta!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭-Blanco-

erm I wouldn't say one course is "better" then the other... In what way do you mean "better" exactly? Both colleges produce equally good architects, obviously the quality of the work will depend on the student in question... It has been said to me that DIT are more technical in their approach of teaching..however only having experience in one of these colleges I can't really give an opinion on that. You should check out (aswel as the college open days) the end of year architecture shows in both DIT and UCD, I remember a thread in the "art and architecture" forum advertising the UCD show which was on around the same time as the DIT one. It may give you an idea of the quality/type of architect each college produces. After attending both shows this year I'd say that there is no "better", just different. Even between architecture students of the same college the quality/type of work varied greatly from very technical to more artistic, even abstract in some cases-which I think is inevitable in a course like architecture where, particularly as the course matures, students are given freedom to work with the method which they prefare. I have never heard anyone praise one college over the other regarding quality of architecture students. In the end it all comes down to what kinda of person you are-there is no way to teach anyone how to design after all!!

Advertisement