Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you spend on food a week?

• 17-11-2007 7:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Off the top of my head I'm not sure but its proberly less than 30 euro a week for one person and if anything the amount may be falling as I discover the value of spuds, pasta, beans and other filling, nutritious carb-rich grub.

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Well, me and my bf put €90 each a month in to the joint account for groceries. At the end of the month we tend to supplement it a bit with more money. I think we could be better about it, we're supposed to be saving but if we're not going out much i like to have nice food in the house!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

We spend about 80-100 on a monthly shop at Tesco to cover most of the basics. This is then supplemented by meat from our local shop/butcher and M&S.

We also put about 100 each into our joint account which covers bills and groceries. Though most of it goes on bills.

My estimate would be between 40-60 euro a week for the 2 of us.

I'm stunned. I would spend 50 euro for one person, and I shop around.
    I eat out once a week too, which usually comes to 40-50 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

When I was in Italy this summer I survived on a tenner a week to supplement my drink budget

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I tend to do one big online shop each month (~£60/€90). Then I just go to the local shop to supplement whatever I need as it runs out (milk, eggs, bread etc). I probably spend way more than necessary on food though. I'm awful for buying things like Covent Garden soups, which are REALLY expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

ok I feel bad now. could spend that in one evening on two people. Dishwasher broken at moment so Im eating out most nights which probably adds up to a few hundred a month for two people.
    And Im always getting ready made meals in M&S which really adds up.
    My food bill at work comes to over 150 euro a month for just me - in a subsidised restaurant ! (we use a card so you get the bill at the end of the month)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dishwasher broken at moment so Im eating out most nights

Your gran would be ashamed!

Mike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

spend about 120 a week for me the missus and the sprog

• Registered Users Posts: 33 aranidirlíon

i feel really bad now as well... my food budget is €350 a month for just myself and I go over it a lot. i don't know how two people can only spend €100 a month on food?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

i feel really bad now as well... my food budget is €350 a month for just myself and I go over it a lot. i don't know how two people can only spend €100 a month on food?!
    Me neither. Me and the missus spend about €80-100 a week on average (not just food though, includes other household items).

• Advertisement

Well for example I make a lot of stews and soups and those would last for several days.

I made a delicious wild venison stew the other day that cost €5 for all the ingredients and lasted for 2 days. Or I sometimes buy hearts (which are delicious and very filling) which only cost 63 cent each.

I spend the most money on fresh produce like meat etc, we tend to be pretty basic on other stuff like pasta and other bulk, or we'll make our own bread.

I made a delicious wild venison stew the other day that cost €5 for all the ingredients and lasted for 2 days. Or I sometimes buy hearts (which are delicious and very filling) which only cost 63 cent each.

Your talking 2-3 lbs of venison for less than 3.50 then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Moonbaby wrote: »

Roadkill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

My gf and I spend about 50-60 on food per week. Sometimes it goes a little over and sometimes under. Generally nearer the 50 in most cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

Between 2 of us, I spend between €120 and €150 p.w. This includes other household items too but we don't eat our breakfast or lunch at home monday to friday. I don't know how people can survive on €20-€30 p.w each!

Well we're saving to go travelling so we're trying to be good! Like Tsubh Dearg, I make pies/stews etc that last for a few days or I can freeze them and eat them later in the month if needed. I usually cook from scratch and very rarely buy ready meals (sometimes I do splurge in m and s on but that's with my own money not the grocery money in the joint account) I buy our meat at a butchers and our veg at the farmers market in Dun Laoghaire. Both end up being cheaper for better quality food. (the veg is organic and cheaper than the supermarket) I do one meat shop at the buthcers a month and freeze the meat. Most butchers do deals like 10 chicken fillets for €10. Compared to supermarket prices that's excellent and it's proper meat (don't get me started on Tesco meat!). Also, you can buy in bulk to save money (e.g. we buy a 3gk bag of pasta - it's giant- and it works out a lot cheaper. We also do a monthly shop to buy staples in a supermarket. Then during the month we just need to buy bread/milk/frend bread at weekends.

Usually, not including eating out and extra luxuries we'd spend €150 a month. I could easily spend more as I love food and cooking but as we're saving I don't buy as many fancy things as I used to do.

Oh, and I don't have a dishwasher! We wash by hand every night! (I'm deprived!)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I eat out a lot these days, could be from 20-150 depending on the week. Obviously a lot more 20 weeks. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

How to eat cheap (for the sceptics)

4 potatos - 60c
    1/3 tin butter beans - 50c
    1/2 tin kidney beans - 75c
    4 thick sausages - €2.00

Cost €3.85 approx

all chopped up and baked for 25 mins.

The above meal will be good enough for one large and one smallish serving.

Mike.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

You are better off getting your potatoes in bulk, 10 or 20kg, tis cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

mike65 wrote: »
    How to eat cheap (for the sceptics)

4 potatos - 60c
    1/3 tin butter beans - 50c
    1/2 tin kidney beans - 75c
    4 thick sausages - €2.00

Cost €3.85 approx

all chopped up and baked for 25 mins.

The above meal will be good enough for one large and one smallish serving.

Mike.
    If you get supermarket brand stuff it is even cheaper, think kidney beans are 30C a tine, baked are 20C. Also get spices in the asian shops, big 500g of curry powder are dirt cheap, I add them to baked beans.

And as for meats it is usually what is on offer, nothing but pork steak this week, sirloin last, and chicken fillets the week before, all under €8 per kilo.

• Advertisement

You are better off getting your potatoes in bulk, 10 or 20kg, tis cheaper.

It's true, buying things in bulk (if you have a car to ferry it around) works out so much cheaper!

@mike65 mmmm butter beans!

Another way to reduce your weekly/monthly shopping bill (eve slightly) is to not buy packaged fruit and veg. You know those polystyrene trays with four apples on it, then the apples are wrapped in clingfilm? They cost a lot more then buying loose fruit. Sometimes they make look nicer but it's taste you're really going for. Also, things like the bag of salads. If you you buy a lettuce etc if works out cheaper too and you also have more nutrients as the lettuce in those bags are washed a good few times and a lot of the goodness is gone then.

Oh god, I sound so scabby now! it all adds up though, I promise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

watna wrote: »
    Another way to reduce your weekly/monthly shopping bill (eve slightly) is to not buy packaged fruit and veg. You know those polystyrene trays with four apples on it, then the apples are wrapped in clingfilm? They cost a lot more then buying loose fruit. Sometimes they make look nicer but it's taste you're really going for. Also, things like the bag of salads. If you you buy a lettuce etc if works out cheaper too and you also have more nutrients as the lettuce in those bags are washed a good few times and a lot of the goodness is gone then.

Very true. Even when apples in packs have 50% extra free it can be dearer. I much prefer to hand pick all mine. Potatoes are usually cheaper in sacks, but you end up with mouldy ones in bags, or ones small & hard to peel, if you hand pick big ones that are easy to peel it saves time peeling, and the weight of discarded peel is less. If you have a big family it might be worthwhile though. Also if I buy some things in bulk I just end up eating the lot there & then, when it was intended to last a good while, especially bread & chocolate.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    The meat was just under €4 for a bag of good quality diced venison pieces (by the Irish Wild Game people) of about 500g. I mixed it with carrots and portobello mushrooms. The cost of the veg for the stew and the potatoes for the mash we had with it brought the cost to just over €5. I cut the meat into smaller pieces as it came in quite large chunks.

Advertisement