Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post Your Gear (DISCUSSION ONLY)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Darkstrike

Patricide wrote: »
    And what kinda things can u do with a trem on a bass, ive always wanted to have a go. And your in ballyheigue too, im just over the road there in tralee!

Dude, I'm pretty sure I've met you once or twice, I was at Patricide's Ballyheigue gig!

Most of what you can do on a guitar, just without the same range, and no Dimebag squeals!

Actually, we could sort it it out for you to have a go of mine sometime.
    It is something you should really play before you hack up a bass......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

I cant even remember the gig in ballyheigue at this stage haha!!

Yea might do, heading back to college soon but im sure i can squeeze a trip in to check it out! Are you in any gigging bands at the moment, cause im sure id remember that thing!!

Nah, no band at all, prolley not good enough anyway, lol!

Hell, I could bring the thing into Tralee some day I'm not working, bring it to Cullotys and piss everyone off! All I'd have to do is play for five mins!:D

Ah im sure you are, everyone has a delusion about how **** they are, apart from people who are actually crap, they think there great :D. Il be working the weekend though, sur il pm you about it sir. What type of bass is it actually on?

It's a custom.....

Parts bass:D
    The Body's a mexican Fender, the neck is a Mighty Mite P Neck, and the rest you know!

Just went through the whole thread, man you guys got some killer stuff!:eek:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Jesus, that is nice. Love the birdseye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Sweet Jesus that is amazing.

I am officially jealous!

Congrats man, that is incredible :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Wow!!
    It looks................kinda opulent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Holy mother of Jeebus that's nice!!! :eek: :eek:

What does that say on the neckplate, made by ?? Is that the luthier who made it in Bacchus?

That is utterly insane! What an axe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Quattroste

Thanks. That guitar gave me the worst case of GAS I have ever had. Plays beautifully and I'm really happy with it. Will be lashing it out of it tonight at practise so fcuk the drummer. And the pickups Doc, yes your right, they don't need changin or upgrading.

The neck plate says "Made by aska" Dord. Not sure if aska is a person or sub company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Wow, thats nice. :D

Apparently Bacchus guitars have been in short supply since Boards guys started buying them :pac:

Wow, thats nice. :D

Apparently Bacchus guitars have been in short supply since Boards guys started buying them :pac:
    Yup! This place has the like all the sexiest Bacchus's!:D

I have never seen an 8 string bass. I'd love to hear that. Do you have sound samples anywhere? The Trabens are also very sweet and different. Nice collection.

Quattroste wrote: »
    I have never seen an 8 string bass. I'd love to hear that. Do you have sound samples anywhere? The Trabens are also very sweet and different. Nice collection.

Thanks dude, I have a MP3 of the 8 string on a disc somewhere, but I don't know how Id upload it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Beautiful Strat, Quattroste! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭boycey

Very nice Quattroste!! Very nice indeed.
    You have to lash out 'The star spangled banner' on that thing at practice tonight. That should put the drummer in his place:D

• Advertisement

Darkstrike wrote: »
    Here's a few of my stranger axe's.
    The P-Bass is a standard SX though, besides the Whammy Bar....
    The fretted Traben has a Hipshot D-Tuner on it too.
    Germany020.jpg
    DSC00095.jpg
    Tort2.jpg
    Photo-0013.jpg
    DSC00092.jpg
    How does the traben play/sound out of curiosity? Always wondered were they any good?

And the pickups Doc, yes your right, they don't need changin or upgrading.

Excellent, there's a maple necked, white-blonde, tort scratchplated G Studio in my future and now I can sleep another bit sounder.

Is the name really engraved into the headstock?

Doctor J wrote: »
    Excellent, there's a maple necked, white-blonde, tort scratchplated G Studio in my future and now I can sleep another bit sounder.

Is the name really engraved into the headstock?

Yeah. It's really cool actually. :cool:

Patricide wrote: »
    How does the traben play/sound out of curiosity? Always wondered were they any good?

Well, it's 35" with a long neck, so you'd not want to be afraid of a reach, but up high there's more space, which is good if you have chubby fingers like me.
    Stings have a little more tension on it, which is good for action.
    Balances very well, heavy, because of all the brass on the front. Sustains for ages. Sometimes it can be hard to get strings, if I wanna go through body.
    Neck is bigger than a J, but a little different than a P, and to me feels easy to play, and's not sticky despite the glossy back.

Sound, its vesatile, very modern, can go from deep growl, to bright and trebley quickly.

It's my fave bass, but its like marmite, love or hate, there is no in between.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The_g-man

That is a seriously nice strat there Quattroste, and I've never been a fan of birdseye before. That one looks sweet though and the engraved headstock just makes it sing.

Indeed. That engraving is the Spirit Of Ecstacy on the bonnet of a Rolls Royce tbh :)

Very plush! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 lavasoft

nice looking strat I like the headstock:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Stupid DHL have had me new stuff in a depot in Limerick for the last week! Been "held for query" every morning instead of going out for delivery, according to the tracking thingy. Rang em up so I should have some shiny new stuffs to post in here tomorrow! It's not much but sher... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

CianRyan wrote: »
    n00b in the instrument forum!
    One of my strats.
    Custom built, but not custom shop.

Any info on it Cian? It looks a beaut.

Nice guitar! welcome along Cian! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Thanks lads!
    Yeah i dug up plenty of info today, might be making a trade, so i had to tell them whats what and such.
    Thats the good side of a stock guitar, you can just send them a page with spec's or they'd know already! :P

Anyway...
    I'mma be really lazy and just copy and paste what i had in the message sent earlier! :D

These are the bridge pieces

http://www.samash.com/catalog/showit...ffiliateID=622

I will probably put a full new set on before you see it, i lost two of them a while ago, so i'll be sure to replace them.

The neck was made, September 19 2003
    But never played till just before last Christmas.

The guitar as a whole is a two piece, neck right onto the body.
    (never even heard of a three piece) >.<

Under the scratch plate, im lost when it comes to wirering and routing.
    But the cavities are cut out for the single coils and everything under it, is lined for the electrics.

Machine heads
    http://www.twenga.co.uk/offer/5802/7...661923182.html
    I had locking machine heads on it, but tbh they didnt work all that great so i threw those on instead.
    Much nicer, and real sensitive for getting the tune just right.

It was all ordered speraratly around christmas last year, and put together by a a guy called dave weldon, he's beein building guitars for years, and id trust him with anything.

The finish has a few nicks in it, not really noticible unless you are looking for them, but has two black marks on the back, havent a clue how they got there though, those are the only problems with it.

The pick ups are my favourite part of the guitar, when being put together i had to pay a little extra then i wanted too but it was worth it.

http://www.fender.com/products/show.php?partno=0992113000 thats them

Yet to remember/find the info on the type of wood used and such.

But yeah, worth between €800-€1000 right now.
    Love that yoke! :)

• Advertisement

Nice Strat, I like the contrasting pickups/pickguard.

Thanks man, you should see the black pearl scratch plate for real, its all shiney and stuffs! :D
    haha

Thanks man, you should see the black pearl scratch plate for real, its all shiney and stuffs! :D
    haha

I know dude, the picture never does 'em justice!:)

Here's a better picture of my Jr. :)
    I think next on the gas list is a better camera... :o

87junior.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Thanks lads!

The guitar as a whole is a two piece, neck right onto the body.
    (never even heard of a three piece) >.<
    Love that yoke! :)

Nice guitar. I wthink what you are referring to there with two/three pieces is actually the amount of wood pieces used in the body itself. A one piece is just a solid wide board, a two piece body is two boards glued side by side to make one plank wide enough for the body, a three piece is three pieces of wood etc etc.

You can see the glue lines sometimes if you look closely at a stained body or transulcent colour. A one piece obviously is a lot more expensive then a three piece.

Nice guitar. I wthink what you are referring to there with two/three pieces is actually the amount of wood pieces used in the body itself. A one piece is just a solid wide board, a two piece body is two boards glued side by side to make one plank wide enough for the body, a three piece is three pieces of wood etc etc.

You can see the glue lines sometimes if you look closely at a stained body or transulcent colour. A one piece obviously is a lot more expensive then a three piece.

Where exactly are these glue lines?
    I'll look now.

I'll look now.

It varies on each guitar. It's not always possible to see as a lot of companies use veneers to cover up the pieces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I'll look now.

From the look of your finish you wont be able to see it on your strat cause its a solid colour. Sometimes you can see it on a sunburst finish or a natural finish. I know I can see them clearly on Tanglewppd Rebel 4k bass.

http://s234.photobucket.com/albums/ee247/liam_plexi/PA240004.jpg

You can kind of make them out here. One is along the line of the bottom intonation screw and the other is just above the pickguard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 lavasoft

I like that alot I had a single cut version from around the same era it had the 2 p100s and binding on the fretboard as well if you get bored with let me know it,s going up for sale;). I love these guitars perfect for a slide machine:D. Well worth the wait and hassle I presume.
    Dord wrote: »
    Here's a better picture of my Jr. :)
    I think next on the gas list is a better camera... :o

87junior.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Niiice collection doc! ;)

• Advertisement

Thankee. I'm most definitely a happy camper with them around :)

Nice! except for the musicman and the streamer!

:D

Ahhh they have their own charm. There's no point in having loads of the same thing, they both have unique (and very useable) tones :)

Pfft... Basses. Name me one good band with a Bass in it. ;)

You had a natural Bacchus right? Why did you seel that?

Cos I have the black one which is about 90% the same...

...just 10% better...

...I won't be letting that one go btw :D

That's a hot lookin' Sadowsky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Ancient1 - You have to play this guitar!

No sh1t! :p

That is one incredibly sexy Strat...when I first saw your pics (didn't have time to post earlier), I was going to have Doc hold you down while I inflict grievous bodily harm upon you, but then I remembered that he has Bacchusessss too. So fcuk you both. :pac:

Seriously man, congrats! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Looks very well made. Can't warm to the design of the head stock though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Wow!!! Stunning guitar Mr. Strainor.
    Sorta creamy/coffee-like looks about it.

• Advertisement

Nice one Alan. Looks like the Brazilian rosewood fretboard too. I thought you wanted Maple? Anyway you won't be dissappointed by the rosewood or the guitar. I still find mine hard to put down, awesome guitar. Love the colour of yours too, the wood grain is really nice and I prefer the headstock to those expensive originals :pac:

I just noticed that the back of the body is contoured at the neck joint!

Question! Does the bridge sit on the body? Mine does and I am not sure if this is the way it should be. I like it that way though, cos you can rest your right arm on the bridge when playing pushing the strings out of tune.

Advertisement