Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need advice on buying new car

Options
  • 17-11-2007 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

Hi all,

Looking to trade in my 98 Mark IV Golf and maybe buy the Mark v Golf or similar car,

wanting to spend around 10k (10k + trade in value of my car)

Only need the car for one year as due a company car next sept,

Thing is i want to get the best value for my car and buy a car which is not going to depreciate too much.

Looking at the 04's Mark V golfs, there around the 16000 range, anyone know what price i would get it for with my trade in?

And how much would i get for it after 12 months when i look to sell it??

Thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

The least depreciation would probably involve keeping the MKIV.

You'd probably get a trade-in of around 4 for your own assuming the mileage isn't colossal but you'd probably get €5k+ selling from the paper. This time next year it will probably be worth much the same. Golfs are never hard to shift as long as they've been minded. If you got a €16k MKIV today, next year, would it be worth €13k-ish???

Which engine have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭apeking

Thanks for reply,

Its a 1.6 and has 61000 miles on it,

i was looking at the mark V golf though,

My head says keep the car i have but my heart wants a new one :(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Keep the one you have. Unless it's a GTI, a Mk5 Golf isn't even a particularly nice car, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

What the lads said. Keep your Golf until you get your company car. You are saving several thousand euro. Start thinking of how to spend all that money on nicer things than car depreciation :D

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭apeking

Ye lads you are speaking sense alright,

Problems with my car at the moment are turning me off it, central locking isn't working right, and electrics seem messed up ( when lights are on in car and i open driver door, warning buzzer doesn't go off) then the about 2 days later it all works again.

Also had the problem with water leaking into back seat from sunroof drains.

Ah will keep it and get my 1.9 diesel Octavia in sept, seems a long wait though........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

They don't sound like incredibly expensive-to-fix problems to me. Why not get them sorted out now and enjoy your car for the next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A years depreciation on your MkIV Golf will be less than that of the newer MkV Golf. Also worth noting that around this time next year the arrival of the MkVI Golf will be just around the corner meaning MkVs will be worth a little less.

Keep the car you have and get the small things fixed.

Advertisement