Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gaeltachts

Options
  • 17-11-2007 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

hi...im looking for some strict gaeltachts where i would learn loads of irish, i went to coláiste chiarán last summer and it was great but i hardly learnt anything.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jb91

I haven't been to the Gaeltacht but I'm hoping to go next summer. My Irish teacher used to work with Coláiste na bhFiann (they have colleges everywhere) and she says it's great for learning Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Only so much irish goes on at Irish colleges......alot of people merely go for the women. I would say you will struggle to find a place where you will come home from saying "I learned a tonne of Irish".... etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 xxlazydogxx

hi...im looking for some strict gaeltachts where i would learn loads of irish, i went to coláiste chiarán last summer and it was great but i hardly learnt anything.

ya i went there last year
    it was great craic but i didnt learn a thing there was people talking english like all the time :eek:and not strict !
    and was disappointed as it was very disorganised last year in course c!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

ya i went there last year
    it was great craic but i didnt learn a thing there was people talking english like all the time :eek:and not strict !

It is a very awkward area for teachers because if people do not speak the language constantly while there it is a waste of time, yet if you are strict you run the risk of ending up on Joe Duffy being called a Nazi gaelgoir by the usual suspects.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Evan93

You woudl want to be crazy to spend your summer speking irish,enough of that goes on at school,I would not let myself be subject of such torture anyway !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Patrickisperfec

Only so much irish goes on at Irish colleges......alot of people merely go for the women. I would say you will struggle to find a place where you will come home from saying "I learned a tonne of Irish".... etc

I'll spare you the struggling. You'll only speak Irish in Coláiste na bhFiann. And you'll have great craic. I've gone a few times and learnt a ton of Gaeilge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Dearbhaile.

hey does anyone know anything about Colaaiste Chonnacht in spiddle..??
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

i went to chiarain course C ...u learn nothin it sucks balls but de crak iss gud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 xxlazydogxx

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    i went to chiarain course C ...u learn nothin it sucks balls but de crak iss gud

i would have to agree as well.i went there last yr and learnt nothing!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Cloee

i went to Colaiste Colmcille, Meenacladdy, in Donegal this summer, and it was brilliant

the teachers were strict, but really helpful, they didnt care if u messed up your words in irish, once you made an effort. they'd correct you on your mistakes, which was useful too. and you werent sent home for speaking english, but you were punished (eg not being allowed to take part in the fun activities). when i was there i didnt realise i was learning until the last day when one of the teachers asked me something and i could have a full conversation with her. it was brilliant, and im still thinking in irish :L:eek:

so yeah, i would really recommend that gaeltacht:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭SeanyboyQPR

Gaeltacht is class. Lots of girls, not so much irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Baile an Locha

OP Go to any spleodar course, you'l be forced to speak irish and you'l have good craic, what more could you want??
    http://www.spleodar.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

My sister went to carna (cill chiaran for the older ones) and learnt nothing!! But she did have the time of her life :P
    Thats why im going next year :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

TBH most of them are a waste of money. Learn very little but often meet a boyfriend/girlfriend.

They probably weren't done any favours this summer either with the few outbreaks of swine flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Johnnyjump

With an Bord Snip, Bean an Tí may be something of the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭dungeon

It will be interesting to see if the Gaeltachts are badly hit by the economic downturn.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭acermaple

Does any one know anything about Coláiste Sheosaimh in Carna, want somewhere that's good at Irish and good fun.

Is it for next summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭acermaple

Hi Overmantle,

Yeah summer 2010, also heard of a place called camus in Connemara also if anyone has any info on it would be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

acermaple wrote: »
    Does any one know anything about Coláiste Sheosaimh in Carna, want somewhere that's good at Irish and good fun.

my sister went this year and said it was the best craic ever. Not sure about the quality of irish learning there but she seemed to be speaking irish even when she came back from it!??

Im going this year anyways. Seems brill :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Moi!

I'm torn between Brú na Párce and Coláste na Bhfiann. I have quite good Irish. I'm in second year. Any ideas which would be better?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Moi! wrote: »
    I'm torn between Brú na Párce and Coláste na Bhfiann. I have quite good Irish. I'm in second year. Any ideas which would be better?

BnP do a JC one :eek:

I'd stick w/CnaB tbh, you'll probably enjoy yourself.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭elaine93

I went to Colaiste Lurgan in Indreabhan. It was fantastic. I think its how much work you put in though. I learnt loads, like Irish just makes sense to me now, and they have a free internet program called Abair leat thats great as well. And when I was there Des Bishop came. He does a lot of the speaking parts on the internet thing

http://abairleat.lurgan.biz/moodle/eir/carousel/

• Registered Users Posts: 17 DryGinBoy

I went coláiste chiarán last year too! what course were you on? I went on A

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

i went to coláiste sheosaimh in Carna, Co. na Gaillimhe and I learned tonnes of Gaeilge

• Registered Users Posts: 4 nimurray

im thinkin of goin to colaiste lurgan this summer... anyone know which cursa is better B or C ....for older people around 17 ??

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Emmaneedshelp

Hey I'm going into 2nd year and next summer me and my friends wanna go to colaiste lurgan in June
    It looks like great craic witch is what we're looking for
    Anyone know when the sign up date is ?
    Around when is the June course ?
    How much does it cost ?
    What activities did you do there ?

I know a lot of people say the irish there isn't any good ?
    My mams friend went said her irish was like Chinese before she went she is now studying irish in college !!!!

She says lurgan is the place to go !

She also says sheoimsaimh carna isn't very good !
    My brother went to the older side and loves it !!! But also said he wouldn't rate carna !!!

Personally I think if you try your best and speak irish constantly your gonna lean irish ! It just depends on how committed you are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Hey I'm going into 2nd year and next summer me and my friends wanna go to colaiste lurgan in June
    It looks like great craic witch is what we're looking for
    Anyone know when the sign up date is ?
    Around when is the June course ?
    How much does it cost ?
    What activities did you do there ?

I know a lot of people say the irish there isn't any good ?
    My mams friend went said her irish was like Chinese before she went she is now studying irish in college !!!!

She says lurgan is the place to go !

She also says sheoimsaimh carna isn't very good !
    My brother went to the older side and loves it !!! But also said he wouldn't rate carna !!!

Personally I think if you try your best and speak irish constantly your gonna lean irish ! It just depends on how committed you are
    This thread is four years old, I don't think you'll get any help by posting here. You already posted a thread, and the school year didn't start yet. Wait till school starts and then i'm pretty sure someone would be able to answer your questions. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Emmaneedshelp

This thread is four years old, I don't think you'll get any help by posting here. You already posted a thread, and the school year didn't start yet. Wait till school starts and then i'm pretty sure someone would be able to answer your questions. :rolleyes:

Yeah it's old but that doesn't mean people aren't going to check it ,
    I have already started back in school ,
    And gaelteacht applications come out in 2 weeks :/ but thanks for you concern ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement