Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Learner Drivers - Treated Like Crap?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 guy_awoke

For many people, the car is the ultimate makeover. It's a means of going out and being a bully in a way that is unfortunately seen as socially acceptable in this country. In the movie Vanishing Point, there's a scene where a road runner dork in an open sports car catches up with Kowalski and taunts him, trying to edge him off the road, but our hero nurses his engine up to the right point and with some skillful footwork zooms off into the distance. nice.

Not for a moment suggesting that anyone drives like either of them lol but when I see typical bad and aggressive behaviour on the roads including impatient horn blowing I always think of that dorky guy in the helmet and give him a Dublin accent, it eases the vibe a little and puts them in their true place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

parliament wrote: »
    If I see a learner plate and a single occupant car and they do something stupid I will beep them, sure if they get rattled they shouldn't be driving alone.
    I assume you didn't do that on the day of your driving test.

Becasue if an L-plater is already rattled at having stalled their engine or missing a clearing to make a turn, and you blow the horn at them, you're doing nothing to mitigate or react properly to a potential hazard. You are potentially making it worse.

As for your "shouldn't be driving alone" comment, until June 30 next year that statement will not be true for 2nd provisional licenseholders. So you have no business assming that a particular L-plater "shouldn't be on the road" unless you've seen their license.

To answer the OPs quesiton, I've been using my L-plates for about a year now (2nd provisional) and haven't been subject to any kind of agression on the roads, the only time I got hassled was when my driving was crap and I didn't have them up before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Caychadh

How many lessons have you had, nightwish?
    It seems that you are stressing yourself out by driving to work- I read your previous posts and am glad you've taken the plunge to drive but you shouldn't feel you need to push yourself either. Driving to work 5 days a week is stressful for all drivers, especially nervous ones! I always used to dread cutting out at lights (does it feel like you always end up first in the queue!!?) but even really experienced drivers do.. but it's only idiots who'll beep you. It achieves nothing. I hope when the 'learner' system is sorted they might be more tolerant. (although, there will probably be hover-cars or some such by then.) :rolleyes:

As a learner myself; one thing I'm baffled by is people beeping at red traffic lights. I've seen this on several occasions and never fail to be baffled by the idiocy of it. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

The person behind me beeped twice today as soon as the light went green... literally, as soon as it changed from red to green, I had my hand on the handbrake and by the time I'd put it down I'd been beeped!

What did they hope to achieve, that I'd suddenly be inspired to zoom off at 100km/h in two seconds flat? What's the point? Some people (*cough*includingmydad*cough*) just seem to get so bothered when they're behind a learner for a few minutes that they expect them to do something wrong and are ready to react, even if they end up doing nothing wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

@Tails142 Quiet you!
    DonJose wrote:
    muppet L drivers
    shur they are all muppets aren't they :rolleyes:

Nightwish, relax take and it handy, the more considerate drivers will let you make mistakes and be patient. When i was learning with my ma in the car, id stall and some **** hot driver started leaning on his horn, she would say the only way to show them is to outdrive them.
    Turn the other cheek and be a better driver than them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Caychadh wrote: »
    As a learner myself; one thing I'm baffled by is people beeping at red traffic lights. I've seen this on several occasions and never fail to be baffled by the idiocy of it. :(
    Possibly because there is a green directional arrow displayed in conjunction with the red light. It happens regularly at lights near me. Inexperienced drivers or those not familiar with the junction stop in the right lane when they want to go straight. When the green right arrow displays, they are obstructing the vehicles behind and often not aware of why they are beeping. Then the green arrow goes out and the normal green light appears and the inexperienced driver continues as normal perplexed as to what the fuss was about.

(I'm not saying this happens in you case but it does! ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

I've never been beeped at or given hassle in ~6 months of driving, mind you I tend to do all my stupidest things on quiet back roads. My ma says other drivers are actually nicer to me than they are to her. I figure it's the dazzling charm that emanates from the car every time I grace the roads with my presence (or that my ma is a bit of a hames of a driver).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I've got L plates up in my car. I've got my full licence but other people still use the car that are learners. I don't seem to get any of this aggression in my car which is a focus estate, but when I'm driving my sisters car (rover metro) with L plates up there is an increased level of aggression. I think there is a mentality that if you have L plates in a smaller car then its assumed you are a learner, whereas in a larger car it is assumed that you have a full licence and have the plates up for someone else to use to car to learn in.
    Maybe I'm wrong about that preconception about car size & L plates?
    The day I passed my test I felt no different as regards my driving. I'm always courteous to all other polite road users and do give extra time to cars displaying L plates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

pete4130 wrote: »
    I've got L plates up in my car. I've got my full licence but other people still use the car that are learners. I don't seem to get any of this aggression in my car which is a focus estate, but when I'm driving my sisters car (rover metro) with L plates up there is an increased level of aggression. I think there is a mentality that if you have L plates in a smaller car then its assumed you are a learner, whereas in a larger car it is assumed that you have a full licence and have the plates up for someone else to use to car to learn in.
    Maybe I'm wrong about that preconception about car size & L plates?
    The day I passed my test I felt no different as regards my driving. I'm always courteous to all other polite road users and do give extra time to cars displaying L plates.

That's very true!

Also my instructor said people are much more courteous to you when you're in the school car (with the whacking great sign on the roof) than they are if you're just in your own car with L plates up.

To the OP, the cutting out will pass. The clutch in the car I used to learn to drive was a nightmare and to begin with cutting out + beeeeeeeep from car behind = panic. It can be very daunting when you are only learning and for people to say 'oh well if you're bothered at people beeping at you then you shouldn't be on the road' is a bit harsh. However, if it takes you to the point of being a hazard to yourself and other users then yes, you should ease off driving alone and get a couple of lessons in. My instructor also used to say that beeping is just a noise, that's all it is. You shouldn't be frightened of it.

Qualified drivers can cut out at lights too you know. My sister (who owns said car with nightmare clutch and is a qualified driver for over 10 years) does it occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I rarely had problems with other drivers when driving with L-plates up (2nd prov). I actually found things were a bit harder after I passed my test and took them down, as other drivers gave me less leeway.

But really OP, get yourself an experienced driver to accompany you. I used to find driving on the roads extremely nerve wracking too when I was a newbie. There was one incident where I got really flustered and my dad had to end up swapping seats with me and drive the car somewhere quieter where I could relax again. I wouldn't dream of going out alone at your level of experience.

• Advertisement

rain on wrote: »
    I figure it's the dazzling charm that emanates from the car every time I grace the roads with my presence
    LOL :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Ger the man

Same old problem, plus its here to stay. I gave up driving to work because of the stress (passed my test 9 years ago and no accidents to date). I feel sorry for people learning now as the roads are a nightmare, everyone is more important than everyone else and road manners do not exist. As I cycle along I pass cars of all shapes and sizes, most of which have one person in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

I used to get such abuse when I started too.
    I remember one time in particular when I was on a driving lesson in the instructors car, and I came up to this busy roundabout in Galway City. It was only about my second/third time taking a roundabout and I was waiting for a gap before I moved out.

Anyways there was this Van behind me with 2 early 20's (presumably tradesmen from the ladders etc.) in it. One of the guys rolled down his window and started taunting me! He was saying things like "Get off the road", "Are you ever going to ****ing move", "Learn to drive" and then when I moved off "About ****ing time!". The funniest thing about it was that I wouldn't have heard him only for my window was down slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭j1979p

Yeah I got beeped at a light yesterday morning. Didn't stall, just took an extra 2 seconds to get off as I was being careful not to stall. Afterwards, I was v annoyed but really I cannot say anything as I am driving unaccompanied on a 1st prov. I think of it like he was beeping me for this offence. Makes me feel a bit better!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

A lot of pink licence-ers have short memories is all I can say. Especially at roundabouts, nearly cut in half today by an X5 that decided to use the inside lane to go straight on at a roundabout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

I was having a lesson-in the instructor's car with a big red and white SCHOOL OF MOTORING sign on top- last night and got beeped at twice!!! I was at a busy junction, the instructor told me to take it easy because if I was hasty I might pull out in front of someone. Just because I didn't zoom from 0-60 in 3.5 seconds, I got beeped at!!! My instructor says to just ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

I have to say driving in Dublin with L plates is a nightmare, I took mine down after a week, Taxi drivers and BMW drivers (I know not all BMW drivers are <snip> and some do use their indicators occasionally, but I digress) I've had no trouble since.

I was vindicated in my belief when driving to my driving test with my L plates up, a Focus tried to pull out in front of me at a roundabout but realise he couldn't make it, once I passed him, we both took the next exit, he drove right up behind me, tailgating in a low gear revving his engine. When I was learning this would have really put me off, but after 2 years of driving I've developed a hard skin from idiots like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Don't worry OP, it really is nerve wracking at first. There is so much going on around you and to try and get the hang of the controls and everything is especially stressful with loads of cars behind you. I have to say, I have never been beeped when I stalled, which was a lot when I started. Mind you, I probably wouldnt have heard, as I need music to calm my nerves ;)
    However, I have come across a lot of arrogant assholes doing dangerous things, and they think they have the right to do them just because they have no l-plates. Just remember, you may be learning, but the rules and correct way to drive will be fresher in your head, than in theirs. And...Show NO fear :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Well in the past week I dont think I've stalled or cut out once. I've safely negotiated the nightmare roundabout at work everyday and am beginning to be a bit calmer. That said, still lots of tailgating and people giving me angry looks for taking that extra 3 seconds to pull out onto a road or roundabout. My skin is getting thicker I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

Nightwish wrote: »
    Well in the past week I dont think I've stalled or cut out once. I've safely negotiated the nightmare roundabout at work everyday and am beginning to be a bit calmer. That said, still lots of tailgating and people giving me angry looks for taking that extra 3 seconds to pull out onto a road or roundabout. My skin is getting thicker I suppose.

to hell with them, we all have to learn sometime.

I'm experiencing the same as you tbh, first day driving to work on my own through sandyford. I drive a skoda octavia, i got beeped alot more when i was in the yaris.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Well done Nightwish. Another newbie here, not driving to work yet as it's from Dublin South to Celbridge, but going out evenings and weekends locally. Have to say i'm really surprised how nice people are, i actually think i took more abuse in the driving instructor's car. Have had no probs yet in my own. I stalled three times in a row in the one spot one day and NOBODY beeped even though there was traffic coming from several directions, it restored my faith in human nature :D Am much better now and have pretty much copped the clutch control.

Although about human nature, some lovely person knocked off my passenger mirror the other evening :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

"Animals and L drivers can panic and act unpredictable."

I love the way cazzy puts animals and L drivers in the samr catagory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

I find that the only abuse I get is from other Learners!!!!!!!!!
    (oh wow, you're overtaking me on my left and speeding in a housing estate, you're a much better driver than me...)
    I had my first lesson in my own car today, I was having a bit of trouble starting, trying to get the balance between coming off the clutch and onto the accelarator, and if I wasn't shooting off within nanoseconds the car behind me (always a learner) would beep at me! One even tried to overtake me while we were both going straight on a roundabout! This was after him tailgating me and making gestures at me in the mirror.

I was in front of a lorry on 2 separate occasions, my engine cut out a few times in front of each one, neither driver said a word. Wish there was some way you could say thanks to the nice ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Twin Lance

OP, whatever you do, dont let other drivers like that influence how you drive. You are a learner driver and if you have your L-plates on and make a mistake, its only <snip> who will beep if you make a mistake.
    Tails142, a lot of what you say is pretty useless. Im on my 2nd provisional, driving for nearly 3 years (problems getting my test and cancellations, etc.) and I would consider myself a pretty decent driver. Im confident, not cocky, which is funny because since I started driving Ive noticed cars with no L-plates making all the mistakes. Once I was parked up at traffic lights in the backseat of an 07 BMW with a guy driving who had Id say at least 35 years driving experience. He takes off after seeing the green man light up at the lights to our left, and crossed an incredibly dangerous crossroads while the reds were still on and didnt even realise.
    The problem is that the older generation of drivers who learned with less cars on the roads and slightly easier tests think theyre infallible. Since over the past few years so many more cars have been placed on the roads, and the roads themselves getting bigger and bigger, I think that re-testing should be a lot more commonplace.
    My father taught me how to drive (really got it into me), and Id call him the best driver Ive ever been in a car with. The one thing Ill always remember is that he told me "just watch your own side of the road, let them worry about theirs." Im not going to let some lad say anything to me because Im a young male driver and he thinks he has more right to the road than me. I couldnt care less who was around me if I made a mistake. That guy beeps at me, Im just gonna slow right down and wreck their heads, because I guarantee you theyre the type of guys who drive onto a roundabout in the wrong lane, wrong indication, looking straight ahead and just hoping for the best as they change lanes.
    Also, complaining about learner drivers and lack of progress? I cant tell you how many times Ive been stuck behind a much older person as they drive on a 100km road at 40km. Theyre a much bigger danger than learner drivers.
    OP, keep rockin, its hard to get the confidence, but once its there, youre just going to stop caring about idiots on the road and probably start beeping other learner drivers :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Have to say there are a lot of really stressed drivers out there from my experience, I got the same beeping at me when I was learning but generally pull off in decent time.
    The only thing that bothers me really (apart from people using phones while driving - i saw a bus driver doing it yesterday!), is tailgaiting. I can't believe how people can drive right behind another driver at over 100kmph, it just takes one tiny thing to happen and the occupants of both cars will be at best maimed for life at worst in an early grave. Slow down people, we will get there eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

Gauge wrote: »
    My mother has a friend who drives a Punto. Her son is now learning to drive in it so she put L Plates up. She can't believe how other drivers act around her on the road now, dangerous overtaking and blaring their horns at her all the time!

Is it even legal to drive with L plates on if you have a full licence? I know in Oz it isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Here it's legal, in a lot of other places it isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭parliament

And again, what does that achieve? Are you some sort of Dirty Harry who is out there to clean up the streets?
    Yes, yes I am :rolleyes:

What beeping the horn achieves is to alert a driver that there is a threat of an accident, for example someone switching lanes without looking or drifting between lanes. It no t always possible to get out of those situation by relying on either yourself or the other driver making corrections, fact of the matter someytimes a beep of the horn is needed.

parliament wrote: »
    It no t always possible to get out of those situation by relying on either yourself or the other driver making corrections
    I'd be more concerned about applying the brakes or taking evasive action.

• Advertisement

Twin Lance wrote: »
    I would consider myself a pretty decent driver........

.........Im just gonna slow right down and wreck their heads
    A bit of a contradiction?

Advertisement