Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Learner Drivers - Treated Like Crap?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Twin Lance

Sorry, didnt realise that good drivers cant change the speed that their car goes at. My bad. I was merely saying that if someone is going to start tailgating me, flashing his fulls, etc., because his car is bigger than mine, Im not going to just let him away with that. I see it all the time, drivers who are forced to pull into hard shoulders because some dude behind them was giving them attitude for the way they drive, and it kinda annoys me, because its aggressive drivers like that that make learning how to drive on our roads that bit more difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I had my first lesson in my own car tonight and I got serious attitude from other drivers! I couldnt believe how people were so rude. Someone flashed their lights on and off for about 10 seconds as I had slowed down coming to traffic lights, as opposed to speeding up so they could get the lights before they turned red. I was under instruction, what was I to do? I know that other motorists aren't to know, but what am I meant to do? Have an "under instruction" plate up too?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Nightwish wrote:
    Someone flashed their lights on and off for about 10 seconds as I had slowed down coming to traffic lights, as opposed to speeding up so they could get the lights before they turned red.

You'd know they had plenty of experience with frustrated finger flicking ;)

The joys of driving in Dublin. Selfish, impatient and agressive, the lot of 'em. You can be sure that if you had sped up to break the amber light, that you'd have people following you for about 2 or 3 seconds after the lights went red.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Twin Lance wrote: »
    Sorry, didnt realise that good drivers cant change the speed that their car goes at. My bad. I was merely saying that if someone is going to start tailgating me, flashing his fulls, etc., because his car is bigger than mine, t.

Where are you when this happens? Not crawling along in the overtaking lane by any chance? :)

Some people just lose it at the sight of an L plate. I can't understand it because most of the time it will just make the learner more likely to stall or go even slower.

Harassing people under instruction is even worse, totally out of order.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Twin Lance wrote: »
    Sorry, didnt realise that good drivers cant change the speed that their car goes at. My bad. I was merely saying that if someone is going to start tailgating me, flashing his fulls, etc., because his car is bigger than mine, Im not going to just let him away with that.

The action you described as your "appropriate" response is fundamentally and unnecessarily dangerous - both slowing right down and deliberately trying to "wreck their heads".

Thus, you are believe an adequate response to stupidity is to do something dangerous....whilst claiming to be a good driver.

I side with Wishbone...thats a bit of a contradiction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

bonkey wrote: »
    The action you described as your "appropriate" response is fundamentally and unnecessarily dangerous - both slowing right down and deliberately trying to "wreck their heads".

Surely if someone is tailgating you then the correct response is to slow down to a) allow them to overtake and b) prevent an accident if you have to stop suddenly. Wrecking their heads comes as a consequence of slowing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Gadgie wrote: »
    Surely if someone is tailgating you then the correct response is to slow down to a) allow them to overtake and b) prevent an accident if you have to stop suddenly.
    Twin Lance stated that he deliberately slowed "right down to wreck their heads"!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Twin Lance stated that he deliberately slowed "right down to wreck their heads"!

Actually, what he said was "Im just gonna slow right down and wreck their heads". Not quite the same thing.

Advertisement