Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

otters in dingle?

Options
  • 17-11-2007 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Just heard about otters in Ireland! I'll be in dingle next year and would love to see otters in the wild. Has anyone heard of any otter sightings near Dingle Town? Thanks for any info........

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭gerocks

I've seen a dolphin in Dingle bay but never an otter.
    I'm sure one of the boatmen will find you a few otters in the harbour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Loxosceles

The river otter is native to Ireland rather than the sea otter, so on the coast it only fishes in brackish estuaries and bays where there is a sizable outflow from a freshwater river. Dingle doesn't really have large enough rivers which empty into the harbours so they may be tough to find there, but you would have better luck in the Shannon estuary. I also saw several of them playing in a small bay that is beside the road between Leap village and Union Hall on the coast of County Cork, and it's also a good spot to catch a whale watching tour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Rudi263

Thanks for the info....will look in rivers for otters...Happy Christmas!!

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

I saw one in Cappaquin Co Waterford,there is a really wide river just out from the town on a side road,it might be the suir,not certain.This was years ago but I'd say they would still be around..not the same ones..obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭KIVES

A friend of mine from Miltown said there was a small pride of otters out near Ballyferriter last summer - that's not that far from Dingle - he said the tourists were going crazy looking for a sighting of the little creatures...I presume there still in the vicinity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

coming to this a bit late but there is an otter in fenit around the pier seen him there twice while fishing at night.

there is also supposed to be one around blennerville on the mudflats somewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭maims3875

:) Otters can be seen occasionally in the Castlemaine harbour, mainly down river from Milltown (Laune River ) and on the north bank of the maine, between castlemaine and whitegate(corkaboy region). There was one active holt there in January.

Advertisement