Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

International football is boring so..who's gona win the premiership?

• 17-11-2007 11:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

Just to get the whole thing going :)
    United to win
    Chelsea/Arsenal for 2nd/3rd
    Liverpool 4th
    City to come 5th

I think that in terms of squad depth, United have more than Fabregas, sorry Arsenal do ;) Chelsea still haven't found their balance in attacking land yet, so I can't see them being consistant enough. Liverpool are still lacking in too many areas and can't expect Gerrard and Torres to win every game for them.

Who's gona win the premiership? 42 votes

Arsenal
    0%
    Chelsea
    54%
    gandalfThanx 4 The FishV9DapperGentHelixquarrymanweemcdBig EarsFwaggleKingp35ErinGoBrathJuan PabloA Dub in Glasgo[Deleted User]Rollo TamasieZe^AnCapaillMorSavmanleninbenjaminDSB 23 votes
    Liverpool
    14%
    Drag00n79eirebhoyapplehuntermikemacselpherestebancambias 6 votes
    Manchester United
    30%
    PiEDont be at yourselfzAbbomachiavellianmeGuy:IncognitoDub13cruiserweightBrando_ieChardee MacDennismeditraitorJesus WeptMr Alanoobydooby 13 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Manchester United
    A Derby- Sunderland 1-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Stekelly wrote: »
    A Derby- Sunderland 1-2

You must be going from the bottom up.

United will win it, strongest squad. Won't be Liverpool anyway, but any of the other 3 could win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭andrew1977

I expect Man United to win the league this season by at least 5 points .
    Strongest squad since the treble winning year of 1999.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

United, not that I'm biased or anything!
    Arsenal second, Chelsea third, Liverpool fourth, Portsmouth fifth, Man City sixth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Chelsea
    Arsenal
    Man Utd
    Chelsea
    Liverpool
    Aston Villa
    Man City

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

United
    Arsenal
    Chelsea
    Liverpool

Id fancy Chelsea to be United's biggest challenger but for the fact that they'll lose Drogba for the AFC. With Cech and Carvalho out for a few weeks, I also fancy them to drop some points in the near future. Given this, I think Arsenal will be second but I fancy United to win it by at least 5 points. Liverpool dont have the depth nor consistency to mount a credible challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Manchester United
    Liverpool.

Believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Liverpool.

Believe.

Lol new season, same false hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Liverpool.

Believe.

Didnt believe last year. Or the year before that. Or the year before that. What makes this year any different - an overpriced young Spaniard with a poor goalscoring record?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Chelsea
    on current form Arsenal...

I thought without Van Persie they'd struggle to score and thus maintain 1st. and Gilberto is on the bench these days! the only way i can see this coming to an end is Cesc getting injured, but even then Hleb is finally showing us what he's capable of, and through the centre too!

United have a better squad, but not by as much as some here like to think imo, and i feel in terms of blooding the newcomers like Tevez, Anderson and Nani, they are where Arsenal were last season, flashes but still not as consistent as one would like... but then i've seen a lot more of the Gunners this season than Utd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

1) Man You
    2) Arsenal
    3) Chelski
    4) Liverpool
    5) Blackburn
    6) Man City
    EDIT: Whie I'm at it....
    7) Everton
    8) Tottenham
    9) Pompy
    10) Aston Villa
    11) West Ham
    12) Newcastle
    13) Birmingham
    14) Reading
    16) Fulham
    16) Bolton
    17) Middlesboro
    18) Sunderland
    19) Wigan
    20) Derby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

This may come back to haunt me but i can see Man Utd being very comfortable around March.

Arsenal are just 1 season away from being a real force. I think they will drop a good few points soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Archimedes wrote: »
    Didnt believe last year. Or the year before that. Or the year before that. What makes this year any different - an overpriced young Spaniard with a poor goalscoring record?

Can you explain why Ferguson has been trailing him for 4-5 years so? Why he came out a while back and said Torres was the player he wanted more than any other?

And just so you know, he has pretty much the same goalscoring record as your "best player in the world" Rooney. But you probably didnt know that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I thought 21 million for Torres was a pretty sweet deal, especially when you consider the fact that if he does move on in a couple of year, it'll be for at least 10 million (probably much more) in which case, it's not a bad investment at all.

Chelsea
    Melion wrote: »
    Can you explain why Ferguson has been trailing him for 4-5 years so? Why he came out a while back and said Torres was the player he wanted more than any other?

And just so you know, he has pretty much the same goalscoring record as your "best player in the world" Rooney. But you probably didnt know that

To be fair Rooney does so much more than just score. Torres wouldn't have half the workrate of Rooney.

DSB wrote: »
    To be fair Rooney does so much more than just score. Torres wouldn't have half the workrate of Rooney.

How many times have you watched him?

Chelsea
    Do you want me to count? Or will me saying a decent amount suffice? Either way I don't think Torres is a bad player by any means. Rooney is of a different class though.

Id rate Torres just as highly to be honest. Look how impressive he has been in his first year in another country

Chelsea
    Pretty impressive. But hardly world class. He wasn't really world class in Spain either like. Maybe he'll grow to be a world class player though.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

DSB wrote: »
    Pretty impressive. But hardly world class. He wasn't really world class in Spain either like. Maybe he'll grow to be a world class player though.

It's his first year in a notoriously difficult league to settle into & he's doing very well. I've no doubt he'd be world class if he joined a team with as much ability as himself.
    Rooney wasn't world class at Everton, he was a fantastic prospect just like Torres was at Athletico.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Chelsea
    Seeing arsenal come through the games against Liverpool and United recently has made me consider them as potential champions. The way they came back from goals down in both games shows a determination and confidence that hasn;t been at that club for a while.

If they come through the christmas period unscathed I think they could be well on track. United will be right up there with them though.

Chelsea might struggle badly in the next few games without Cech/Carvalho/Terry.

Liverpool? Well, if they get a consistent squad selection they have the means to mount a challenge but I'm not sure the current system they employ is right at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Chelsea
    I'd love Newcastle to win it... but I think Arsenal will do it this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

1 Man Utd (though I dearly hope I'm wrong)
    2 Arsenal (won't fall away but come up just short)
    3 Liverpool (providing Torres/Gerrard stay fit)
    4 Chelsea (lots of injuries atm will hurt them)

(Top 4 all within 10 points I think)

5 Blackburn
    6 Portsmouth
    7 Man City
    8 Aston Villa
    9 Tottenham
    10 West Ham
    11 Newcastle
    12 Everton
    13 Reading
    14 Sunderland
    15 Fulham
    16 Birmingham
    17 Bolton
    18 Wigan
    19 Middlesbrough
    20 Derby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Could you add a box that says "One of the above" for fans outside of the big four who don't a sick parrots prawn sandwich who wins it?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Chelsea
    I agree with the previous post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Looking at the league, I'd go with Arsenal however my football gut tells me it will be United.

Manchester United
    African Nations is gonna hurt Arsenal and Chelsea, what's their run of games like around then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Liverpool
    Stupid

How can liverpool be ahead of Chelsea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Stupid

Fans of Liverpool, or just plain idiots

Then again both are the same ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Harsh!

I fancy Unireh to do it :) Such a good squad and great attitude. Arsenal are just oozing with positive energy too, but I still see United nicking it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Stupid

Because Chelsea look a bit flaky this season?

If I were to take what I've seen of the Premiership so far, and put aside the Man City's etc I would say Arsenal / ManU / Liverpool / Chelsea.

But that doesn't take into account how the rest of the season might go. There's a newt's fart between the teams at the moment, so the the head-to-head games will be very important. Chelsea are honestly the only team out of the four I would be very surprised to see win it this year. Why? They've sacrificed what has made them win it previously - their ugly style of football. They may become the next Arsenal and win it with free-flowing football, but Rome wasn't built in a day. This season will most likely be a transitional one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

I can see Arsenal or Manu doing it, probably the Arse. Liverpool coming in third. Having said that, Liverpool are just a couple of players away from being true title challangers (yes I know it's been all said before) and a nice run up to Christmas and a bit of a spend in Jan might make the difference. Rafa has always said that it will take 5 years and, imo anyway, he's as good as his word.

I won't drag this thread anymore off topic than it already has been but, to say that Torres is not world class is simply wrong. He is a different player to Rooney and provides a different role/service to Liverpool than that of Rooney to Utd.

Even as a Liverpool supporter I would have to say that imo Rooney is the best player in the world, with Messi a close second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Well the African Nations is January 20th to Feburary 10th. Maybe one week before that the players will leave. In which case, the Chelsea games will be,
    Tottenham (H), Brum (A), Reading (H), Porstmouth (A), Liverpool (H)[on the 9th though, so only the people in the last stage won't be there]
    Arsenal games will be
    Brum (H), Fulham (A), Newcastle (H), City (A), Blckburn (H)

IMO there's only one real tough game in there for Arsenal, which is Blackburn. But it's at the end, so it'll only be the top players.

I think the effect of the African nations has been kinda over-emphasised. It'll hurt Chelsea more than it'll hurt Arsenal I think, but I don't think it'll decide the league.

As for the whole Chelsea vs. Liverpool. I can still see Chelsea putting together a run, they'v eshown they can do it. The fact that they are switching football means they are unlikely to be able to do this, but they know how to win games they shouldn't win. Liverpool still haven't shown they can put that run together

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Arsenal will only lose Toure and Eboue for the ANC. Eboue isn't a first teamer anyway so it is only Toure who is the serious loss, with Senderos or Djourou likely to come in alongside Gallas. Unless of course Gallas happens to get injured at the same time, in which case there'd be serious problems.

Arsenal's run of games up until the New Year is much more significant than the games during the ANC, anyway.

United will win the league.

• Advertisement

Manchester United
    PHB wrote: »
    Well the African Nations is January 20th to Feburary 10th. Maybe one week before that the players will leave. In which case, the Chelsea games will be,
    Tottenham (H), Brum (A), Reading (H), Porstmouth (A), Liverpool (H)[on the 9th though, so only the people in the last stage won't be there]
    Arsenal games will be
    Brum (H), Fulham (A), Newcastle (H), City (A), Blckburn (H)

IMO there's only one real tough game in there for Arsenal, which is Blackburn. But it's at the end, so it'll only be the top players.

I think the effect of the African nations has been kinda over-emphasised. It'll hurt Chelsea more than it'll hurt Arsenal I think, but I don't think it'll decide the league.

As for the whole Chelsea vs. Liverpool. I can still see Chelsea putting together a run, they'v eshown they can do it. The fact that they are switching football means they are unlikely to be able to do this, but they know how to win games they shouldn't win. Liverpool still haven't shown they can put that run together

I reckon both Arsenal and Chelsea have tough enough games coming up during the African Nations so. When you come up against the likes of Blackburn and Fulham, you're gonna want strong, athletic players like Essien, Toure and so on. With no Essien, Mikel and Kalou, the Chelsea midfield is a little lacking in steel. I'm not expecting either team's season to fall apart, but I'd be surprised if they took maximum points during that period, and any dropped points could be crucial come May, as the league is shaping up to be tighter than a duck's arse.

You also have to keep in mind that it's not just the matches they miss when they're away, but also the toll on their bodies that the tournament will have. Training and playing so much, so competitively and so far away for so long will mean the players wont be as fresh as if they had stayed with their team. There's gonna be a knock-on effect.

Regarding Liverpool/Chelsea. It's be silly to rule either team out.

Chelsea are playing good football, and Mourinho's departure wasn't the fatal blow many expected. Actions in the January transfer window could prove more important.

Liverpool are more than capable of putting a run together. We're all sick of hearing of how if the league started in October, Liverpool would be champions. Under Rafa, our best spell has generally been at the turn of the year - wasn't it around then that Reina broke the record number of games without conceding? Our season tends to tail off, but that can partly (not wholly, obviously) attributed to Rafa's attention wandering to our CL ties.

So, ifs & buts. Neither team are favourites, but neither team can be dismissed - not with so many variable in play. As a Liverpool supporter, I believe Liverpool will do it. That's not a decision of the head though, but of the heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

All I have to say on this is that anyone who agrees with the title of the thread needs to watch a re-run of the Venezuela v Bolivia World Cup Qualifier that has just ended...GAME OF THE FECKIN CENTURY!!!

International football is alive and well...you just need to broaden your horizons:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Chelsea
    Arsenal hopefully, depending on how the rest of november and start of december goes, a notoriously bad patch for us always.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Chelsea
    Arsenal
    Utd
    Chelsea
    Liverpool

I've said it many a time so far this season but if Arsenal keep playing like they do they have it in the bag, I don't believe Chelsea will take the title this year :( but I'd rather listen to a gooner than a utd supporter if they win the league :)

Advertisement