Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Instant Coffee Tip

Options
  • 18-11-2007 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭

Just thought I'd pass on this tip, for what it's worth, it might work for you. When I make a cup of instant coffee (I know awful stuff an' all that, but needs must sometimes!) I've found if I leave the stirred cup of coffee to stand for at least 30 seconds before adding milk and sugar the coffee tastes a lot better. It works particularly well with the more expensive premium freeze-dried coffees. I only discovered this recently, so now I do it all the time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭smirkingmaurice

get plunger stuff you gannet, not that expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Although I hadn't heard the word used that way before, I think the term gannet isn't appropriate on this occasion, from Wikipedia: "The gannet's supposed capacity for eating large quantities of fish has led to "gannet" becoming a disapproving description of somebody who eats excessively, similar to glutton." My post is about drinking coffee. All the same, I'd like to thank you for helping to improve my vocabulary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

My best instant coffee tip is...... don't use it.

Depending on circumstances you can always use
    a moka pot, French press or Aeropress
    instead for far superior results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭davejones

Your right OP i've just tried out your little tip
    and the coffee does in fact taste a bit nicer:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Hi Gran Hermano yes I agree traditional ways of making coffee do produce a far nicer result, and ideally I'd use these methods all the time. However I prefer instant in certain circumstances, for example, in the evening I drink instant decaf. If I drank French press or filter coffee I'd have a very disturbed night because of the caffeine. Although in the morning I love to prepare a big pot of delicious filter coffee... there's nothing like it.

Hi Davejones I'm glad my tip worked for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Oracle wrote:
    in the evening I drink instant decaf.

Instant Decaff! No flavour and no hit!

I might, if absolutely desperate, drink regular instant purely to stay awake... but faced with a choice between decaff instant and nothing I'd take nothing every time.

Instant decaff - sounds as appealing as flat and warm non-alcoholic beer :)
    Sorry Oracle but I'd almost drink tea instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭leahcim

Instead of drinking instant decaf you could always buy decaf beans or pre-ground decaf and use your french press etc.

I use bewleys decaf beans myself and they are pretty nice.

My usual routine is to only drink decaf after 7pm, otherwise I would be awake half the night.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

My best instant coffee tip is...... don't use it.

Depending on circumstances you can always use
    a moka pot, French press or Aeropress
    instead for far superior results.

What about the circumstances where you're in work, and all you have is a kettle, a cup and some instant coffee. What would your workmates think of you if you brought in your little coffee maker and started making fancy coffee? Would you lug it into work every day, or leave it sitting proud (and unwashed) on your desk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭lucyburn

Oracle wrote: »
    Just thought I'd pass on this tip, for what it's worth, it might work for you. When I make a cup of instant coffee (I know awful stuff an' all that, but needs must sometimes!) I've found if I leave the stirred cup of coffee to stand for at least 30 seconds before adding milk and sugar the coffee tastes a lot better. It works particularly well with the more expensive premium freeze-dried coffees. I only discovered this recently, so now I do it all the time.

Thats a great tip thanks Oracle.

• Advertisement

What about the circumstances where you're in work, and all you have is a kettle, a cup and some instant coffee. What would your workmates think of you if you brought in your little coffee maker and started making fancy coffee? Would you lug it into work every day, or leave it sitting proud (and unwashed) on your desk?

Fancy coffee? I take it you are alluding to anything that is non-instant.
    Nothing 'fancy' about real coffee. In the scenario you depicted above I'd be
    more interested in drinking real coffee than what my colleagues are thinking.

As to whether you leave coffee utensils unwashed on your desk; surely
    that's a case of personal hygiene ;) I can't see the issue with leaving a
    1-cup French press in work and popping it into the dishwasher each
    evening. It's not like you're installing a dual-boiler espresso machine on
    your desk.

Advertisement