Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THIS is how we should treat the characters of Galway...

Options
  • 18-11-2007 3:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

Tonight, myself and Styer were out for a few pints, and we happened upon a local Galway 'Celebrity' who's probably best known as "The Anti-santa" as per the line from Father Ted. We were talking about our local Galway heroes, and such misfortunate muppetry that has befallen then, and decided that we should buy him a pint.

antisantaor3.jpg

Pretty terrible picture, but I think most Galway people will know who I'm on about. I handed him the pint, and shook hands with him, wishing him a merry Christmas (first thing that came to mind).

Anyway, I do believe that we should not torment our esteemed Galway characters, but do right by them. So, we bought the Anti Santa a pint, with a great sense of civic pride.

Next up, buy Seamus (KD) a pint. ;)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

he has the eyes of a serial rapist...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Anyway, I do believe that we should not torment our esteemed Galway characters, but do right by them.
    I take it thats tongue in cheek

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Nice.:cool:
    Last time when we were in Rome, we used to buy a meal for a homeless guy we saw eating from a rubbish bin one night.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Tonight, myself and Styer were out for a few pints, and we happened upon a local Galway 'Celebrity' who's probably best known as "The Anti-santa" as per the line from Father Ted. We were talking about our local Galway heroes, and such misfortunate muppetry that has befallen then, and decided that we should buy him a pint.

antisantaor3.jpg

Pretty terrible picture, but I think most Galway people will know who I'm on about. I handed him the pint, and shook hands with him, wishing him a merry Christmas (first thing that came to mind).

Anyway, I do believe that we should not torment our esteemed Galway characters, but do right by them. So, we bought the Anti Santa a pint, with a great sense of civic pride.

What does he drink as a matter of interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 cmcd

What does he drink as a matter of interest?

Budweiser! You know the one with the dark liquid and white creamy head, just like the one in front of him. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

I've often seen him outside Neactains/The Quays with a can of Bud or Bulmers in his back pocket, but perhaps that's just a case of "whatever he could get?".

I don't know if i'd feel good giving the "characters" a drink... I think more drink is the last thing Radio John needs...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Rather you than me tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

fair play Karl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

fair play Karl.

And Steyr...........:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭pid()

Steyr wrote: »

Aww hehe. Fair play lads, that's nice of ye.

• Advertisement

Steyr wrote: »

who?

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Erm you can buy me a pint if you like, I could be a character of Galway for free pints

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Erm you can buy me a pint if you like, I could be a character of Galway for free pints

+1.:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Nice one Karl. He looks so happy.

/me wipes a tear

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

That guy's kinda cool. I saw him in The Crane on halloween night and though it was a dude dressed up as Rasputin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭nonamemark

He's actually sound, we used to always stop to talk to him when we were in town back when I was in 2nd year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

I told him last week about how 'famous' he was on boards and he was delighted.
    He often comes down to where i work to have a chat, he's a really nice and intelligent guy, he told me that he studied law at one time.

Ah i love that guy.

He's probably going to be inundated with free pints from boardsie's now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Is that the guy in the red tracksuit pants and general santa-like gettup ? Despite his disheveled appearance I saw a group of small children paralysed in suspended awe as he passed by them last week.He seemed completely oblivious to the excitement around him. It was a great sight. I'd never spotted him before. Good to see him looking happy . Nice one lads :)

Oh look at that.. my 200th post. Horray and stuff.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

The milk of human kindness flows so freely on this thread that I think I've just become lactose intolerant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

And now its time to call a BEERS.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

antisantaor3.jpg

Well done for your good deed. Unfortunately the picture isn't displaying for me. I guess Image Shack is acting up again :mad:. Does anyone have a picture of this anti-santa character? I'm curious as to who he is :).

malice_ wrote: »
    Well done for your good deed. Unfortunately the picture isn't displaying for me. I guess Image Shack is acting up again :mad:. Does anyone have a picture of this anti-santa character? I'm curious as to who he is :).

it's Paddy, the guy who can be seen playing air guitar, air fiddle, air whatever, at the corner of high street and main guard street regularly. big black beard on him... how would you not know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

You know, KD asked me the time on Saturday and I told him! Does that count? I couldn't arsed to buy a pint.

it's Paddy, the guy who can be seen playing air guitar, air fiddle, air whatever, at the corner of high street and main guard street regularly. big black beard on him... how would you not know?
    Amazingly enough I don't have a photographic memory and I don't categorise every person I happen to see on the streets of Galway no matter how odd they may appear. I apologise profusely that my powers of recall are not of a sufficiently high level to meet your high standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

malice_ wrote: »
    Amazingly enough I don't have a photographic memory and I don't categorise every person I happen to see on the streets of Galway no matter how odd they may appear. I apologise profusely that my powers of recall are not of a sufficiently high level to meet your high standards.
    You would remember if you saw him. You just need glasses.

You would remember if you saw him. You just need glasses.
    I've got glasses. I think maybe it might help if I walked around with my head up as opposed to staring at my own feet while grumbling to myself :D.

Courtesy of Mr. Hungus, I've got the picture of the Mr. Anti-Santa and re-hosted it for anyone else that's curious as to who this guy is.
    5f946fb297.jpg
    As it turns out, I do recognise him but I don't ever recall him playing air-guitar. I just seem to remember him hanging out the front of Neachtains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

@ Karl Hungus - the next time you see him ask him to buy you a pint. He isn't short a few pound. He chooses to look the way he does and lives the way he does. He is from a very respected family in Galway. Is highly educated but he opts to collect scrap. His name is Pat and lives in Rosshill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

sgthighway wrote: »
    @ Karl Hungus - the next time you see him ask him to buy you a pint. He isn't short a few pound. He chooses to look the way he does and lives the way he does. He is from a very respected family in Galway. Is highly educated but he opts to collect scrap. His name is Pat and lives in Rosshill.
    I remember Pat from years ago. He was (and still is) a lovely man. It is very sad how he has ended up but he always looks happy. He had quite a hard time with locals in Rosshill (presuming that's the place out near Merlin Park where he used to live) when I first met him. He was a real hippy type and was seriously picked on out there because he chose to live a quiet but unconventional life in a mobile home. I have first hand experience of what the locals can be like out that way and it is not pleasant. I was a hippy-type too and was not living in a house. One night myself and some friends were confronted by a couple of local rednecks with a shotgun and ran out of the place. It was a terrifying experience and left us very shook. To cut a long story short, the very first person who we came across after our experience that evening was Pat who invited us to his home, gave us a brandy to calm us down and persuaded us to go to the police. We did this and they caught the men in question. I'll never forget his kindness that night and fair play to anyone who buys the man a pint, he deserves it.
    P.S. He is a fine musician too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement