Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Astra

Options
  • 18-11-2007 3:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hello people,

Was looking at the new Opel 50:50 deal on their website. Interested in an Astra...just wondering what people thought of the power of the 1.4 club, was thinking of maybe going for a 1.6 club. Also, is there an alarm as standard?

Also, as this is the first time buying new, what other costs should I be aware of to get it on the road?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

That shape Astra is a cracking car, but the 1.4 is VERY noisy at Motorway speeds, because at 130 km/h its doing 4,000 rpm in 5th gear, so it is a painful car to take on a long journey. I presume 1.6's have higher gearing(i.e the rpms are lower at the same speed), so they would be quieter. And the 1.4 takes 13.7 seconds to go from 0-100 km/h so that suggest to me its rather slow. The 1.6 does the same dash in 11.7 seconds, not exactly exciting stuff but nevertheless a big improvement, and it also does the sprint from 50-80 km/h in 4th in 8.4 seconds as opposed to the 1.4 which takes 9.4. This means that the 1.6 is quite a bit more flexible than the 1.4.

Get a 1.6 or what about that 1.3 diesel? I've heard nothing but praise for it. The 1.6 is only €1,500 dearer so thats a price well worth paying IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The 3 door Sport Hatch looks alot nicer too than the conservative 5 door.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd pick the 1.3 CDTI over the 1.4 petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

I picked the 1.3 CDTi 3 door over both the 1.4 & 1.6 petrols. The 1.3 diesels torque makes it as quick from something like 40 to 80KMph as the 1.6 petrol. In normal driving thats where it really counts, unless you are gunning it out of the toll bridge etc.
    The diesel also cruises at 120kmph on the motorway at 2200 rpm when in 6th gear. I get a combined average of around 55 - 58 miles per gallon (when worked out using http://www.eforecourt.com/calc_mpg.htm).
    The 1.6 petrol wouldn't get close to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I don't know about the diesel. It has 25 bhp less than the 1.6. Given that the 1.6 does the sprint from 48-80 km/h in exactly the same time as the 1.3 diesel(according to Opel), I'm a little skeptical about the diesel being faster than the 1.6. I was expecting the diesel to do better than the 1.6 because of all the torque, but it's no faster there and the petrol has a much better 0-100 time too. It(the paraffin stove)is faster than the 1.4 petrol no question though, and far more economical(by as much as 20 mpg I think it said on Opel's website) than either without doubt.

And the diesel is striaght out of the Fiat parts bin, so exactly a byword for quality and reliability then either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There is also a 1.7 litre diesel available too with 100bhp and a 1.9 litre with 120bhp and 150bhp.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

E92 wrote: »
    Given that the 1.6 does the sprint from 48-80 km/h in exactly the same time as the 1.3 diesel(according to Opel), I'm a little skeptical about the diesel being faster than the 1.6.
    I never said it was quicker. In fact you correctly pointed out that it manages the 48-80 km/h sprint in exactly the same time.
    And the diesel is striaght out of the Fiat parts bin, so exactly a byword for quality and reliability then either.
    I can only comment on my own - done 68k KM and not one single issue. Only required 2 services. It was also the engine of the year in its class in '05 http://www.gmeurope.com/news/2005/news_050607.html
    bazz26 wrote:
    There is also a 1.7 litre diesel available too with 100bhp and a 1.9 litre with 120bhp and 150bhp
    AFAIK the 1.7 is an old Isuzu engine and until recently only came with 80 bhp. I'll stand corrected on that thou.
    The 1.9 120 & 150 bhp are also GM/fiat engines - suppose to be cracking engines and are widely used in Saab, Opel, Fiat, Alfa etc cars.

Fiat's diesel engines are top notch. very reliable and well designed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

That shape Astra is a cracking car, but the 1.4 is VERY noisy at Motorway speeds, because at 130 km/h its doing 4,000 rpm in 5th gear, so it is a painful car to take on a long journey. I presume 1.6's have higher gearing(i.e the rpms are lower at the same speed), so they would be quieter. And the 1.4 takes 13.7 seconds to go from 0-100 km/h so that suggest to me its rather slow. The 1.6 does the same dash in 11.7 seconds, not exactly exciting stuff but nevertheless a big improvement, and it also does the sprint from 50-80 km/h in 4th in 8.4 seconds as opposed to the 1.4 which takes 9.4. This means that the 1.6 is quite a bit more flexible than the 1.4.

Get a 1.6 or what about that 1.3 diesel? I've heard nothing but praise for it. The 1.6 is only €1,500 dearer so thats a price well worth paying IMHO.

I just got a Club 1.4 and don't notice any particularly bad engine noise at 120kmh. Engine is doing around 3400rpm at that speed in 5th.

Only had it a few days but loving it so far, very nippy, easy control, good in traffic. Worth checking out :)

the main thing that would put me off the 1.4 is the sound from the engine. a constant clicking noise. they all do it. so do Corsas. sounds terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

colm_mcm wrote: »
    the main thing that would put me off the 1.4 is the sound from the engine. a constant clicking noise. they all do it. so do Corsas. sounds terrible.

Haven't noticed it myself so far, and I have been listening to the engine fairly carefully as the mother-in-law has the Astra Sxi and complains about a 'chainy' noise from the engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

colm_mcm wrote: »

Its a very distinctive sound alright.

A friend of mine bought the new Astra, i was disappointed the 1.4 was the same engine as the previous Astra.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I drive the 1.4 club, i have it a year now, I dont notice it is any noisier than other cars, I drove a P.206 before hand so it was a nice change,

Pro's; Very sturdy, nippy, comfortable, practical, loads of boot space
    Con's; Heavy at times, I find mine eats petrol

I would love the sports version but I cant stand the 3 doors thing, pain in the arse if you want to give someone a lift - and someone climbing into a 3 door car just takes every ounce of class away from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭barongreen

I have the 3 door sxi 07 with a 1.4, i hav'nt heard to much noise from it doing 120k must listen out for it. I find it nippy for a 1.4 at 40kpm to 120kpm with good handling, comfortable acceleration for overtaking.
    The cons; the doors are really long so not idleal for communal parking, power wise it falls down when taking off at lights, junctions. Suspect its the same gearbox for the 1.6. The boot is also very narrow. it seems to be thirsty also, have not got the MPG sussed yet.

Happy with it so far got it six months ago, I test drove the 1.7 diesel i think its worth the extra G or so, it was my first choice (3 months wait at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I know someone with the 1.3 Diesel, very easy on juice but I think it was about 2~3k more than the petrol. decent car on the road. Bit spartan instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Does anyone know what that extendable winscreen costs???

Advertisement