Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Airsoft Doesn't Sleep (Off-topic MADNESS!!) Mod warning in post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

sliabh wrote: »
    The "civilians" became very aggressive towards the SF side. Shouting abuse ("yankees go home") at them, and harassing them. Under pressure the SF guys started to crack (which is what I wanted) and some civvies got shot. In one case I was told it was because one of these unarmed guys "was threatening me", another because a civilian "was in my line of fire", and another SF guy said "if this was Iraq we would have just shot them anyway".

This is neat. Very neat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

Oh it doesnt have to be long.

Good civpop rule system thats a bit more flexible can be this:

Civpop are civilians when unarmed, when a weapon is held, in hand, they are a legitimate target, a slung or holstered weapon isnt. But a slung or holstered weapon is grounds for a 'search' where the player must volunteer any intel.

Totally unarmed players can be stopped and 'searched' but can run the risk hiding guns.
    If the 'govornment side' kill a civilian, or either side does, they take a minus 10 points to thier game total (if you run in points as a lot do) (objectives worth various amounts)
    kill more... lose more... suggesting that they are losing popular support in either direction.

the point system, and the weapon/no weapon/slung weapon allows the right amount of tension in the game. Forces arent sure if the civy will kick off, and arent sure if they are armed or not... the civilians can **** with the forces by carrying weapons slung, and they can't do anything.

They can be chased, and simply sling thier weapons and walk away, creating a frustration thats hard to get in airsoft games... it adds a more realistic conflict experience to the game in a way that cant help but 'engage' the players.
    They have a reason not to kill any, and not simply 'cos you shouldnt'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

This is the sort of fun stuff we debate all day long over on the Milsim forum, when we aren't planning big 27 hour games outside Dundalk :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭richieffff

Another event getting organised for November here
    They say that they're looking for 400 airsofters!!
    Hey Airsofters,

I’m hoping to run an event at Trabolgan Holiday Village in East Cork from the 11th Nov to 13th Nov 2011. The site covers 140 acres of land including built up houses/apartments, a main complex, green and wooded areas. The event will be airsoft only and will be run through the entirety of the site during game play. The event will included two nights accommodation, airsofters will stay in the houses at night but play around them by day. We are looking to secure air-soft retailers to be on site during the event in addition to all other facilities.

This event is potentially the start of an annual urban combat style milsim event. This event will easily manage a capacity of 600+ airsofters.

Please send feedback on this event as I would need a minimum of 400 players to ensure we secure the site.

This will be EPIC!!!

Cheers,
    Colin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Ill be surprised if he gets the go ahead for that tbh, could never see them allowing it :(

Thats if he hasnt got it already ? If he did im definitely going :P

Doesn't sound like an airsoft organiser... I can see epic hilarity and fail aproaching at 130 knots.

I've put my name down just incase it does go ahead, would be a huge event for Ireland, but the numbers don't seem possible.

Well anyway heres hoping it does go ahead :D

Just seen on the fb page the cost is 225, LOL.

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Just seen on the fb page the cost is 225, LOL.

:eek:
    I only saw that now. Wow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭CpcRc

That includes two night overnight stay in the trabolgan holiday homes. They also are looking to see if irish retailers will setup there during the event.

• Advertisement

its 3.30 in the morning... And I'm rebuilding and redesigning my Ares minimi to be something interesting and special...

Constant fighting with making the ****ing beast feed, ive decided to make it a milsim minimi... 200 round capacity, fed by a magazine that isnt the box, that isnt plugged into the side.... watch this space.... Because coffee and nicotine are fueling me right now, and anything could happen.

So far... its looking like an auto winding box mag, that one primes... but the box does the work.

Essentially an overcomplicated hicap winder... utilising the mechanism from a regular hicap, the motor system winds the wheel, meaning the weapon feeds on demand, with no requirement for 'winding' to feed, by sound, trigger, button, or pixies... the motor is connected to the trigger system, allowing the user to pull the trigger, priming the hicap spring while shooting...

*egor returns to ploting*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭CpcRc

This is my 2 cents on your idea Firekitten, a very good idea too to solve the issue as I have know people who have had feeding issues with box mags in the past. Again, this is just an opinion.

Option 1:

You solder additional wiring off the wires by the trigger off into the box mag to a motor which winds the mag. This should be done in parallel with the trigger if possible. Also other components may be needed to ensure there isn't a bunch of electrical resistance in the circuit because of adding the motor circuit to it as well as reducing the risk of it affecting the AEG,a diode to stop back EMF would be handy just to be on the safe side even.
    This should wind the mag with each trigger pull like you were looking at.

Option 2:

You could create a box mag which winds itself constantly (kinda) when you press a button on the box. You wouldn't have to hold the button, one push and electronics does the rest.

Here is how I would try to do it, this is only my opinion and I'm not 100% on the setup but it should be good enough;

I'm not sure if it would work but if you tried creating an astable circuit using a 555 timer integrated circuit. Basically you activate the circuit and it will run a motor in pulses for a set amount of time. This timing can be set by using a resistor and a capacitor (higher resistance and capacitance=longer time period), a variable resistor would be better allowing adjustment without changing resistors.

This wouldn't constantly feed nonstop, but would run the motor for set time periods, or pulses, constantly until the power source is removed. You would need two switches I think, one on/off that opens or closes the circuit and another switch that activates the circuit.

This would need a separate battery in the box mag (AA batteries would do) and a relay (I think) because you're using a motor in this setup. A relay could probably be added to option 1 as well now that I think of it and would probably be better for it.

Basically this option has nothing to do with the AEGs operation which although isn't what you were looking for, it does mean that it doesn't risk affecting your AEGs wiring.

Just my 2c.

I like the ideas...

So far, my 'prototype' requires winding manually by button every... few hundred rounds?

the motor winds the hicap, and the hicap does the work. This allows an uninterupted feed supply... How I mechanise that button is the next step... but im just working on fitting my gubbins inside the box mag, and establishing a good feed before I move onto the electronics side. I do want to keep it separate from the aeg wiring.... but, I can have it connected, as the ares box mag used to activate off a small contact switch next to the trigger inside teh body, separate wiring, but activated inside the gun... I want to try something similar, but this activation sets off a set 'pulse' of winding every 4th trigger pull, (requring some planning there) that should equate to 100 rounds ish, and allow the hicap to stay wound, and feeding at optimum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Apparently the KISS concept is gone out the window then...

sleep has made me sane... I think for now, I'm happy to wind it every few hundred 'remotely'.

You should see my work bench... the guts of a VN hicap, an old AIM m4 C mag, a star box mag, wires, batteries, soldering iron, motors... Its like an airsoft graveyard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Arkslippy

I stayed in trabolgan once years ago. The accommodation then was beds bolted to floor and flooring made of rubber non slip and bedding simple blankets and whitewashed walls.

Very barracks like.

I think epic fail though, would need 40% of all skirmishers in the country all to go and pay their 225. In November. In cork.

And I love cork.

Can anyone help me here,
    I was watching combat forces (or something like that) and there were lads wearing a camo, that I have seen before, the camo was very similar to cadpat but had what looked like a little bit of pink in it, I remember one of the soldiers had a canadian flag on his arm too.

Anyone know the camo I'm talking about?

Cheers biggrin.gif

if it was a desert pattern, it was probably canadian aridpat... that has pinks in it? If it was a canadian flag, its probably canadians :P

Right I took a picture, horrificly bad quality :o
    I think I imagined the pink......:pac:
    I think it is cadpat :(
    Photo0191.jpg?t=1307053743

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭ronan keane

Bob The Builder
    :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Shiva

This gave me a chuckle a few minutes ago....

I was looking for info on the size of the rail on an ICS SA80, and it brought me to a page which popped up a Windows box saying I have a virus, and it was about to scan my system...after a couple of seconds, it opened this page in my browser -

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5074/5804359120_a3bb1ef4f7_o.png

The only problem though......I'm running Linux :)

It looked authentic though - for someone not overly familiar with computers, it could work.

This is the link if you want to see it for yourself - but be warned - clicking on the "Remove All" button WILL download a trojan or virus to your PC.

If you're stupid enough to do it, dont blame me for the consequences !

Got something similar a few years ago, only, it wasnt browser based (ive had that one too, more recently and clocked it for what it is) the other was very very realistic... faked windows defender... which I had, and I fell for it
    boom boom splat. Reformat job.

I contracted it a few weeks back, though it's been taken care of. It's very convincing to anyone who wouldn't be au fait with malicious programs though. I've since had to deal with it on three laptops from lads at work.

Looks really convincing, except for the 100% being written over the box it looks real enough.

And for the first time that I've ever seen the Airsoft News thread has left the front page :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Shiva

richieffff wrote: »
    Looks really convincing, except for the 100% being written over the box it looks real enough.

And for the first time that I've ever seen the Airsoft News thread has left the front page :eek:

Yeah, if you look at it for any more than a few seconds it looks fake. The grammar contained in some of the text is atrocious too.

But for someone who wouldn't be particularly au fait with computers, it looks pretty realistic. And an awful lot of Windows users click OK or whatever affirmative button comes up without even reading the text that pops up.

Shiva wrote: »
    And an awful lot of Windows users click OK or whatever affirmative button comes up without even reading the text that pops up.
    :o

Shiva wrote: »
    But for someone who wouldn't be particularly au fait with computers, it looks pretty realistic. And an awful lot of Windows users click OK or whatever affirmative button comes up without even reading the text that pops up.

I've seen too many people get excited at those "congradulations you are the 100000th vistor click here to claim you prize"

The computers in school were ridled with viruses and just about everything you can get from the ads.

http://www.gametrailers.com/netstorage/e3/e3-live.html

E3 live for anyone who wants to watch it, xbox is on now.

richieffff wrote: »
    I've seen too many people get excited at those "congradulations you are the 100000th vistor click here to claim you prize"

The computers in school were ridled with viruses and just about everything you can get from the ads.

We played a game in our school first computer to get destroyed with viruses wins

• Advertisement

We played a game in our school first computer to get destroyed with viruses wins

That sounds fun :D
    It took one of our new computers 5 days......it was a teachers computer :rolleyes:

Well wasn't that both big and clever...

NakedDex wrote: »
    Well wasn't that both big and clever...
    We got new computers that day so we did it on the old ones even the teachers joined in

Is it just me or does the website armyshop.ie not work?
    I just tried it again after a long time and it still doesn't load.
    Is it me or their website?

Its you.

Damn it, I've always wanted to see that website :(

try it again? might have been a temporary thing.

No its been doing for a long time, its just that I was talking to the owner on Sunday and he seems to have a lot of stock.

I haven't a clue why it doesn't work.

Works for me :D

Works for me :D

:(

• Advertisement

Andy G:
    If you're there, am I calculating this right?

Fuel consumption over 1 minute = 600lbs, x time to destination 80 minutes = 48,000lbs required fuel to destination?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭whydave

Channel 4 now dispatches lookin like a good one !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

Firekitten wrote: »
    Andy G:
    If you're there, am I calculating this right?

Fuel consumption over 1 minute = 600lbs, x time to destination 80 minutes = 48,000lbs required fuel to destination?

You got a p :D

Ghost Recon at E3 - Incredible!

I've got to see that.... :D looks genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Decoy

Got to agree, it's a must-see alright. Strong cast, sounds like half-decent script writing and a scenario that only the Irish could get their heads around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭swiftblade

Good Luck to all you Leaving Certers tommorow (Me included) :)

+1 what swiftblade said, if the rionegro mandate wasnt something to look forward to during the leaving cert i think i may have cracked :P

Now, back to learning hamlet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

wire_animated_series_sizer.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement