Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Airsoft Doesn't Sleep (Off-topic MADNESS!!) Mod warning in post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

The_Joker wrote: »
    You mean your physician, psychiatrist or psychologist never told you that all psychologically unbalanced pseudo patients who get stung by psithyrus and suffer from ptyalism then pneumonia and pneogasteric swelling then phthisis could have prevented it by using pneumocystics in pill form
    Holy crap!! :)
    +1
    CpcRc wrote: »
    As for Spooks, I got into that very late in the series (the last two I think) and found it quite good and enjoyed it. And I did find the way that the line-up could dramatically change while the show still managed to be good with good characters very interesting and stopped things from going stale.
    Liked spooks in general, good show, interesting developments and im informed, fairly realistic in certain aspects.
    Though one paticular scene, within one paticular episode, will always jump to the forefront of my mind when someone mentions that show...
    I still cannot watch that episode ever again... I think people may guess which I mean. at age... what? 14-15? that one has stuck with me in a bad way.

Of irelevant note...

Why do my crewmembers delight in injuring themselves? It seems whatever I do, workwise, I always end up with latex gloves on, cleaning up blood and fixing people >> *sigh*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

I have no idea which scene you're talking about? I've watched everything from series 1-5 on DVD, but have seen nothing beyond that. I can't find them anywhere for sale.

CpcRc wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I saw Life (is that the one based on after the protoagonist is released from prison and what they do after?), I might have seen a small bit of it and what I saw I liked also.

Yeah, that's the one. He's a cop that was frames for a murder and released after what was basically fifteen years of solitary, gets a massive, but secret, compensation settlement and requests to go back to the police as a detective.
    While in prison he studied Zen and had developed his life in prison around it to cope with the beatings. So now we have a massively rich detective with alternate ideas, no material desires and a state of Zen.

Damian Lewis (Winters from Band of Brothers) plays lead, and does it bloody well. He needs more roles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Shiva

Firekitten wrote: »
    I still cannot watch that episode ever again... I think people may guess which I mean. at age... what? 14-15? that one has stuck with me in a bad way.

Only scene I can think of that it might be (although I haven't seen every episode) would be the deep fat fryer ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

that the one that instantly jumps into my head

Wasn't that the first episode?

NakedDex wrote: »
    Wasn't that the first episode?

Yeah, I think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I'm hoping falling skies may be OK. Alien invasion, Humans try and survive.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1462059/

Maybe it will be like Waking Dead but replace the Zombies with Aliens.

~B

Shiva wrote: »
    Yeah, I think so.
    Nah, it was mid to late seeason one, or start of season two if i recall. Deffinately not the first... but its one thats sorta... got me, Can watch anything else on the show, just not that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭CpcRc

I can't find them anywhere for sale.

Are you talking about Spooks boxsets?

Have you checked HMV? I'm pretty sure I saw some sets in there because I saw earlier seasons for sale and didn't know that cast. I usually browse around there for boxsets because sometimes you might get lucky and find a good boxset for a good price, but usually a lot of them are more expensive than they're worth.

Had a little look on play.com too and found some here

• Advertisement

I have seasons 1-5 in box sets, but the rest are always either unavailable or out of stock. I gave up trying a good while back to be honest. I felt like I'd have more luck finding Boondock Saints...

I have seasons 1-5 in box sets, but the rest are always either unavailable or out of stock. I gave up trying a good while back to be honest. I felt like I'd have more luck finding Boondock Saints...

season 6
    (€13.99, in stock, ships in 24hours)

season 7 (€13.99, in stock, ships in 24hours)

season 8 (€13.99, in stock, ships in 24hours)

season 9 (€39.99, in stock, ships in 24hours)

And because you asked, the Boondock saints :D

Nah, it was mid to late seeason one, or start of season two if i recall. Deffinately not the first... but its one thats sorta... got me, Can watch anything else on the show, just not that.

Yeah, was pretty gruesome....I remember thinking at the time it was pretty heavy for a BBC show. I must catch up on the series I missed, after MacFadyen left.
    Another one to add to the ever growing list.....

Its the episode that made the show... it created so much 'drama' that it catapulted it into the spotlight... thats how shrewd the bbc are lol.

(I have boondock saints :D it rocks)

(I have boondock saints :D it rocks)

There was a Sequel too but I never got around to watching it.
    http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/13453333/Boondock-Saints-II-All-Saints-Day/Product.html?searchtype=allproducts&searchsource=0&searchstring=boondock+saints&urlrefer=search

I've yet to watch spooks, only ever saw a handful of episodes when it aired originally
    and liked it but never got around to watching/buying all of the seasons.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Paddy The Pirate

:D Always someone who plays your instrument who makes you realise that even after five years of playing you're still not even a half of the way to playing properly :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

:D Always someone who plays your instrument who makes you realise that even after five years of playing you're still not even a half of the way to playing properly :o

I see your Cobus and raise you MachineGunSmith - This guy's awesome!
    But remember Ronan - practice makes perfect :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Private Snafu

I don't think I need even explain:D

Seen that before... the guy is amazing. I completely agree with the ending... throw the sticks down and walk off... nothing more needs to be said.

However... Lemming being an old old man, says ' **** ****not'.... The Crue did it first :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭DICEMAN7

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Emmm neil peart is quoted as saying john bonhams drumming solos are boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

DICEMAN7 wrote: »
    Emmm neil peart is quoted as saying john bonhams drumming solos are boring.

Neil Peart can say what he ****ing likes.

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Neil Peart can say what he ****ing likes.
    just for you dave http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47yxLg2RyXM&feature=related

41779_52611140812_769_q.jpgKWA
    The California Paintball Safety Coalition has convinced Senator De Leon to amend SB798 to exempt paintball from this bill. This Coalition is now asking people to contact Senator De Leon to thank him for working with the paintball industry and that they support the bill.

Anyone hear about this? Paintballers get off scot free and support a bill that targets airsoft specifically now?

I know it's an american issue, but just had to mention it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

was reading about it last night, it is a kick in the balls for the airsoft community

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭RebelSniper

Its silly, they're now making it worse, you wont see people hiding with bushes with airsoft guns shooting people, you will see people with paintball guns. Paintball guns are what... 14 joules? We have 1 joule guns. I think theres a typo in that flipping bill because it should be the other way around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

don't forget RebelSniper in US they don't have the !joule legal limit, their's is much higher. but it's definitely a blow to airsoft. wait did it pass?

Well from what I'm reading in the paper, we may just need to prove the guns legal to the Gardai and keep our noses clean with them. We will have to apply for licences also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

from what i read so far it's only retailers that need to register, didn't see anything about a license for either retailers or users.

I see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭richieffff

This is great little series of videos :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

multiclassing2.jpg

bullets wrote: »
    multiclassing2.jpg
    image-6.gif
    Looks like a clone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Arkslippy

What we do is nothing. It's a political posture thing in a foreign country.

Well from what I'm reading in the paper, we may just need to prove the guns legal to the Gardai and keep our noses clean with them. We will have to apply for licences also.

You'll still do well to keep your noses clean and behave well. Just because you're safe now, doesnt mean you will forever.

the yanks said 'hah political posture in a foreign country' when the uk got the vcra. Then they weren't laughing. It would serve Irish Airsoft well to prepare for what MAY come, even if it doesnt.

You'll still do well to keep your noses clean and behave well. Just because you're safe now, doesnt mean you will forever.

the yanks said 'hah political posture in a foreign country' when the uk got the vcra. Then they weren't laughing. It would serve Irish Airsoft well to prepare for what MAY come, even if it doesnt.

I don't get your point vis a vis the ukra thing. Can you expand please.

If you go to Wikipedia, look at the legal limits on airsoft in most countries. They are mainly the same as ours. Also its banned in a good few u.s states.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭swiftblade

It's only a matter of time before airsoft comes back into the spotlight for some reason. It's not a case of "if", but "when"

Arkslippy wrote: »
    I don't get your point vis a vis the ukra thing. Can you expand please.

If you go to Wikipedia, look at the legal limits on airsoft in most countries. They are mainly the same as ours. Also its banned in a good few u.s states.
    Firstly, UKARA is a trading scheme, run by retailers.

The LAW, that posed the problem to airsoft, was the Violent Crime Reduction Act.

This isnt about fps. It never was about fps. That is not in question, in the uk laws in place, american bills posed. Or potential impact to Irish airsoft.

The problem comes from behavior with airsoft, airsoft regulation internally, and pure luck.

Eventually, some political will take a swing at an easy target for votes. Simple as.

Get as wound up and defensive as you like, but its a simple fact of When. Every nation with airsoft, has had a brush in with the law. And most have been going far longer than Irish airsoft. Eventually, so will Ireland. How will it end? we don't know.

How can we help the best outcome?
    Plan, regulate internally, and put on your best behavior... If some tool at your local site is going home with his ak in a tesco bag... give him an earfull.

if you see some skanger walting it up with his mac 10,... give hi.... nah, just accelerate.

This is NOT, the responsibility of 'a few' That aproach nearly cost the UK airsoft....

this is EVERYONEs responsibility to do right, because at the end of the day, we all want to play. I'll be the first one to line up and admit I was wrong if it never comes to a potential threat to the sport in Ireland.

But when it does, and everyone has taken the 'not my problem' pathway, I will be there saying I told you so.

• Advertisement

Firstly, UKARA is a trading scheme, run by retailers.

The LAW, that posed the problem to airsoft, was the Violent Crime Reduction Act.

This isnt about fps. It never was about fps. That is not in question, in the uk laws in place, american bills posed. Or potential impact to Irish airsoft.

The problem comes from behavior with airsoft, airsoft regulation internally, and pure luck.

Eventually, some political will take a swing at an easy target for votes. Simple as.

Get as wound up and defensive as you like, but its a simple fact of When. Every nation with airsoft, has had a brush in with the law. And most have been going far longer than Irish airsoft. Eventually, so will Ireland. How will it end? we don't know.

How can we help the best outcome?
    Plan, regulate internally, and put on your best behavior... If some tool at your local site is going home with his ak in a tesco bag... give him an earfull.

if you see some skanger walting it up with his mac 10,... give hi.... nah, just accelerate.

This is NOT, the responsibility of 'a few' That aproach nearly cost the UK airsoft....

this is EVERYONEs responsibility to do right, because at the end of the day, we all want to play. I'll be the first one to line up and admit I was wrong if it never comes to a potential threat to the sport in Ireland.

But when it does, and everyone has taken the 'not my problem' pathway, I will be there saying I told you so.

I think that's what most normal Airsofters do anyway, for example, on the new cqb site we are opening there are some noobs doing work onsite during the week, and they are participating in the test games.

We are keeping at them the importance of non brandishing and keeping their involvement away from peers who might not have the correct attitude or sense of responsibility.

After the game on Friday night, I was dropping 4 of them home and they wanted to stop at a chipper on the way home. I had to explain that maybe going into a chipper at 10pm on a Friday night wearing a full British army uniform and wearing a tac vest might not be a good idea.

Arkslippy wrote: »
    I had to explain that maybe going into a chipper at 10pm on a Friday night wearing a full British army uniform and wearing a tac vest might not be a good idea.
    You've clearly never been to Catterick, North Yorkshire's garison town. Heard a story once of a warrior crew stopping off on the way back from an exersise... Apparently you can't get the smell of Indian out very well.

I see your point, and while i did reply to you, perhaps I used your post as an example. I'm sure the vast majority of people will see this, and already be doing the right thing. After all. It's simply logical. However for those few that might sit on the fence, i hope perhaps they take note. Sorry for singling you out Arky, but you presented such a delicious target.

I
    You've clearly never been to Catterick, North Yorkshire's garison town. Heard a story once of a warrior crew stopping off on the way back from an exersise... Apparently you can't get the smell of Indian out very well.

I see your point, and while i did reply to you, perhaps I used your post as an example. I'm sure the vast majority of people will see this, and already be doing the right thing. After all. It's simply logical. However for those few that might sit on the fence, i hope perhaps they take note. Sorry for singling you out Arky, but you presented such a delicious target.

I'd say that would be normal in a garrison town. I always operate by a simple personal rule when it comes to introducing people to airsoft.

If I think there is any chance that in the future someone say, "slippy is some ****er for bringing that guy into the game" I just don't do it.

In relation to wearing gear appropriately, if some one turned up in your chipper wearing a wearmacht uniform.....

A bloke wearing camo wouldnt raise many eyebrows. A Weirmacht uniform is a SLIGHTLY off example no?

I've turned up to many a petrol station or service station, etc, in dpm trousers and a teeshirt... its a matter of minimising the 'omg' factor. Take the jacket off... and its no more different than normal randomers wearing camo trousers. No big deal.

Every scenario is different, common sense is king. Its the application we need to work on.

Ok, some may see things differently. What is our job, as experienced players?

TEACH the new players so they dont end up as 'that guy'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭MerryDespot

Coming back from Bellurgan park last night (had to cry off having fecked my back up on an unexpected slide down the Hill yesterday evening) I was so sore and tired that I was debating just jumping into the car in full kit to drive home - but then I remembered that it was midnight on Saturday, there'd likely be traffic corps checkpoints and that I wasn't sure if there was enough fuel left to get me back to Dublin without having to stop off at a petrol station.

The thought went something like this.
    "err, what's yer man at out there" - Petrol station dude #1
    "... you mean yer man in the US woodland camo with knee pads and tac vest on - he's putting petrol in his car, no?" - Petrol station dude #2
    "yeah ... but I mean look at the state of him" - PSD#1
    "hmmm ... yeah" - PSD#2
    "Looks dodgy - should I call the 5-0?" - PSD#1
    "naw - he's probably just some harmless care in the community mental case" - PSD#2
    "yeah .. probably. Hang on - what's US woodland and how did you know that..." - PSD#1

PSD#1 then beats PSD#2 to death with a stapler as he suspects that he's been locked in the petrol station overnight with some lunatic.

Couldn't live with that on my conscience.
    So I changed.

Id never dream of leaving a site wearing full kit...

I shove my kneepads, gloves, belt kit, holsters, and stuff in my daypack, shove my plate carrier or osprey iver my arm, lob the two in the boot. and get in... Its not that much effort... I don't see the big deal in taking it off.

Only time ive been 'out' in full kit was an emergency services theme bar crawl...

Was up in full Armed Response Unit gear (part of an airsoft ARU team at the time)

Had to check my PASGT in to the bouncers at one club, they thought i might hit someone with it lol. Did get to kiss a real copper for my trouble though :D He thought it looked really class. Got his mate to take a photo of us together lol.

• Advertisement

Yeah - generally I arrive/leave a site wearing jeans/t-shirt. My apartment is overlooked from all angles by others and given that I live in god's waiting room (Sandymount) there's always some curtain twitcher waiting to give his/her evening some excitement by calling the cops to talk about some shaven headed freak wearing camo wandering around the place.

Yesterday was great - and I knew that as long as I managed to keep the plate carrier, belt and knee pads on I would be able to keep going. I made the mistake of taking off the plate carrier in the safe zone and knew from the aching muscles that I was done.

A bloke wearing camo wouldnt raise many eyebrows. A Weirmacht uniform is a SLIGHTLY off example no?

I've turned up to many a petrol station or service station, etc, in dpm trousers and a teeshirt... its a matter of minimising the 'omg' factor. Take the jacket off... and its no more different than normal randomers wearing camo trousers. No big deal.

Every scenario is different, common sense is king. Its the application we need to work on.

Ok, some may see things differently. What is our job, as experienced players?

TEACH the new players so they dont end up as 'that guy'

My point is that as an Irish person, I would avoid the possibility of some idiot who has had a fill of beer possibly seeing me in a full dpm outfit with a tacvest on, start asking why I'm wearing it and possibly making a scene.

I was pointing out to the noobs that what happens in airsoft stayed in airsoft and not to do anything that may draw attention to you. I often wear my tigerstripe to the chipper on the way home. But like you said, trousers only with a t-shirt.

I love my dpm but I only wear it to outdoor sites.

The wearmacht is a deliberate comparison to your eyes to what some people of less brain function might see here. Rare but you just don't leave the opportunity open.

Yeah, you do get a bit of that over here sometimes arkslippy - not as much these days, but there are still a few. I don't wear dpm - not for this reason, just because I'm not overly fond of the colours. That said the site for the Rionegro Mandate (Bellurgan) has shown me the value of dpm/woodland etc - multicam-ers stood out like sore thumbs in the woods, whereas myself and the two others in our 'recon' section, wearing woodland and 'fern-assisted-helmets' were able to avoid a fair few patrols on the trails while sitting within a few feet, completely unseen. I have a new found respect for woodland after the weekend - just goes to show that your camo needs to suit your surroundings.

He finally learns :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Airsoft getting dragged through the dirt on FM104 atm :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement