Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XBMC - Idiot's guide ?

• 18-11-2007 11:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Lads,

Just wondering if one of you could give me an idiot's guide, (step by step) to converting an (old style) xBox into a media streamer?

I have the xBox. My PC (upstairs) runs XP Home & I have a wireless router. I need to be able to do this wirelessly (no chance of running cables).

I'll also be getting an HP media vault for Christmas that video will eventually run off.

So, what else do I need & how do I set it all up ??

Can anyone help ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Possibly should be moved to Modding?

Are you looking for help install XBMC too, or just setting it up on the network?

Xbox-scene.com has a full tutorial on how to either soft or hard-mod your Xbox to run XBMC. You'll also need a wireless adapter (like one of these babies).

What you'll need to do, in this order is.
    Install modchip or softmod
    Install Avalaunch or EvolutionX dashboards
    Install XBMC
    Set Xbox default.xbe (default startup) to XBMC
    Setup wireless adapter.

Im sure an afternoon's googling can help you out with this, but you'll find most of this information on http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox-tutorials.php

Alternative, get someone who is au fait with this (go to the modding thread, loads of guys there who provide this service) and ask them to do it.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭ongarite

The XBOX doesn't support wireless apapters only wireless bridges. These are harder to find, buy. I think Linksys and Netgear do one that works fine for XBOX streaming.
    How far apart are we talking between PC and XBOX? How many walls? As wireless streaming of video is flaky at best.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Has anybody had any bad experience with Homeplug stuff. I've got 3 devices like this
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/2-x-85MBPS-SOLWISE-HOMEPLUG-ADAPTERS-LOW-LOW-PRICE_W0QQitemZ220172409013QQihZ012QQcategoryZ40995QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

No problems at all. But nobody ever seems to know about them. Mine have been plugged in a year to two Xboxs and my router. And they'll work with PS3, 360 or whatever else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭ongarite

Never heard of them. I think Logitech had a RF version of them. Plug them into socket and RJ45 into it and device and they sync automatically.

Advertisement