Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fastest mobile broadband???

Options
  • 18-11-2007 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi I'm going to be getting mobile broadband for my mac as soon as possible and I was just wondering which is the fastest of the lot? (o2, 3 or Vodafone.) I will be using it in Kilkenny and in Dublin (Whitehall.) My room-mate has 3 and it is so slow it makes me want to tear my hair out!! I couldn't get into hotmail or drivingtest.ie and its pretty slow on bebo!! I rang up 3's customer service and it said the 3datacard is slower than the datamodem, it only gets up to 2-3.6 mbps!! I was thinking of getting o2 but I can't find any reviews!!! Plus their website is down today.
    So if anyone has any advice, that would be great!!

Thanks!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The fastest in Whitehall (I think) is the Digiweb Mobile product although it may not reach that far south. No idea when it will work in Kilkenny though .

The best mobile product for any city/rural eventuality is O2 BB , particularly if 3g coverage or not there is ropey . Thats because it falls back to EDGE which works at 200k or so where 3g is not available.

The product supplied by 3 is rubbish even if there is coverage and if there is no 3g coverage from 3 it does not work at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 joannem87

Thanks for quick reply!!! The only mobile broadband that works in my area in Kilkenny is 3, well thats what the coverage map states so I think I might be stuck with them.
    I am hoping to get a 6 month contract if I just stick to using broadband just in Whitehall. I was told I could do this by clearwire because they dont have coverage in Kilkenny and so I wouldnt have to pay the €200 fee for breaking the contract when I move back to Kilkenny in June. But I have just seen the thread on clearwire and don't want it now!!
    Are you talking about the metro digiweb broadband or the solo?? I'm going to ring them monday about the 12 month contract maybe i can get out of it like the clearwire one??
    I have awkward requirements so I guess I'm just going to be stuck with three!!!
    Also could you explain ratio's that I have seen on clearwire and digiweb Homewave Life??

Thanks for your help!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

sorry to burst your bubble but any search around here on clearwire proves they are sh1te as well ...and they will not work in Kilkenny either.

As well as that BASIC refusal to provide a service clearwire lock people into long long contracts for their sh1te service and set debt collectors on their customers and ex customers at an awful rate

3's coverage map, despite substantial very recent improvements, is basically a lie in some areas.

O2 will give you a one week trial (maybe 2 weeks but check in the shop) to test their service. Do so when you are in Kilkenny and Dublin with a laptop in one week. If its crap then hand it back inside the trial period.

Coverage Map

not bang up to date, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 joannem87

yep I know clearwire isn't in Kilkenny, and I have heard it is sh!t too so staying away from it! Yep I'll just have to test o2 or 3 out in Kilkenny and Dublin.
    Thanks

Advertisement