Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning to teach English to immigrants...

• 18-11-2007 1:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at the idea of setting up an informal English class for immigrants here, for people who have functional English, but who are not yet at ease in the language.

I have no formal qualifications in the area, although I do have lots of relevant experience -I've worked as a proof-reader in English and I also speak French, Spanish and Italian.

What I'd like is for some organisation to give me a room in town with a projector and whiteboard from say 7.30 to 9 one or maybe two nights a week, and send me in up to about 10 people who need help with English. I'll offer my services for free. It wouldn't be a "class" as such. I'd just flash up a few photos from the press on the projector and get people to talk about them, start building their vocabulary that way.

Anyone got any ideas where to start? Is there some organisation out there organising this sort of thing?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Why not try the WIT? They have lots of rooms free.. might sort you out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭deise-lady

Or you could try the teachers centre opposite De la Salle.
    I would think you would probably have to organise getting the pupils yourself though. If you're going to put on the classes, you'd probably have to advertise in the local papers etc.
    Or else try and tie it into the WIT Adult Education programme.
    It's a great idea - best of luck with it.

Advertisement