Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DVD recorder only picking up certain tv channels

• 18-11-2007 2:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭

I bought an ALBA RDVD1002 DVD Recorder for my parents 2 christmas' back.. It is only now that they have decided they want to use it (their video recorder has decided to start eating the tapes) so I disconnected the cables from their video recorder and connected them to the ALBA recorder(TV out and Antenna In connections as well as connecting the tv to the recorder through a scart socket)

I followed all the instructions for setting up the clock, date etc. Then I went to tune in the tv stations. The auto tuning facility finished but it only detected channels in one frequency. Im not sure which frequency (UHF, VH etc) but it is the one that would have BBC2, Channel 4 and Discovery on it if you have basic NTL.

I reset the recorder to factory settings a couple of times and followed all the setting up steps but still only those 3 channels appear. I took out the scart socket and just left the cables connected and still the same thing. Its very strange. I connected my brothers DVD recorder and my friends DVD recorder to the tv using the same cables and all the channels appeared. It is very strange. Anybody ever have this problem with this particular ALBA model and if so what did you do to get all the channels?? Im stumped... Thanks.. Gazzer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

never used an Alba recorder but it sounds as if it only has a UHF tuner.

or is there an option to select Ireland as the country?? maybe it set for the UK or something and its limiting the tuner to just UHF

moe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Big_moe.. Didnt know a DVD recorder could have only a UHF tuner.. You learn something new every day. When I was trying to get the channels in I went into the recorders setings and there was only an option for Europe as far as I remember.. There wasnt an option for a specific country..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

ah right.. well then it sounds as if it just has a UHF tuner.. thats all they need in the UK so some of them come over to ireland like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

so are you saying analogue bbc2 is broadcast on vhf aswell in Ireland? so if you went into a shop and asked for dvd recorder with both?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

All the ones sold here *should* have both. Maybe some brands don't bother setting up for both or maybe your one slipped through the net. Was it bought in one of the Uk stores? (Dixons etc) they may have just brought a batch over directly from the uk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

On NTL in Ireland Channel 4, e4 and Discovery are on VHF band I, all the other channels (including BBC2) are on VHF band III. If the recorder is picking these up then it is not a UK UHF only model.

Most likely it has a faulty tuner or a lousy auto-tune function that doesn't recognise most of the channels.

Try a manual scan and see if you can store the channels manually, if it still doesn't pick-up the full range then it is faulty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

somebody rnag or email philips they say change the country to germany as workaround

for anybody else wondering

Advertisement