Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

provision license

Options
  • 18-11-2007 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭

my first provisional license expired yesterday, i filled out the for for the new one but i wont have it for a few days.
    is there like a couple of days period where you can drive after your license has expired?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭kirving

I'm guessing you should be OK for a day or two, as long as your not violating any other road regulations. I'm not so sure about insurance with an expired license, but if your only waitng to recieve your new one, them I'd say your ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

brow_601 wrote: »
    my first provisional license expired yesterday, i filled out the for for the new one but i wont have it for a few days.
    is there like a couple of days period where you can drive after your license has expired?

If you paid for it in person they will issue you with a reciept which will cover
    you until the new one arrives (or so they told me)

Not sure if you post the forms and payment

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Yes, you will be fine.

There is a huge difference between driving on an expired licence and driving without ever having had one. Driving on an expired licence is a very minor offence and I've never heard of anyone being 'done' for it.

It's even possible to drive on a expired full licence for up to ten years before having to resit the driving test/tests.

Re insurance: They usually ask " Do you hold or have you ever held ......." ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

/me turns the blind eye..

Unless you get a really REALLY bad Garda in an absolutely foul mood who has it in for humanity in general, you're safe enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

The Gardaí often give 10 days to produce your licence anyway if you say you've applied for one.

Although I had a Garda ringing me up despite the person producing one to find out was his expired on the day he was caught. I can only presume she went further with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I renewed my license by post a while back, and before I posted it off, I made a photocopy which I kept on me while waiting for the new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The Gardaí often give 10 days to produce your licence anyway if you say you've applied for one
    Although a motorist may have 10 days to produce their licence, it's validity for the date of the checkpoint would apply (not that an expired licence would be much of an offence anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

You'll be fine. The gards will probably use their common sense if you happen to be pulled over. Just try to have something showing you've applied.

A guy I know was brought to court over an expired drivers licence (was caught while illegally parked) and the judge threw it out. Insurance can be an issue on an expired licence but his was just expired, he hadn't applied for a new one.

You'll be grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭brow_601

sweet, i posted the forms today so i should have it in the next few days anyhow

Advertisement