Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

galaxy mp7

Options
  • 18-11-2007 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭

i bought a galaxy mp7 second hand that only had a few rounds throught it.

on getting it i put 2 low cap mags throught it on single to see what the sights were like and one low cap mag on auto than it just stop so i thought the battery had died, i charged it on the desk beside me so i was keeping and eye on the LED on the charger and as soon as it dimmed right down i went to hav some more fun but all i got was smoke coming out of the gun and on removal of the battery it was too hot to even touch and the top of it was melted on one side the contacts inside the gun are also melted on one side.(i was going to attach pictures but could get any clear ones)

the battery will only go in one way so it couldnt have been shorted out.

has anyone had problems like this with theres or no of anyone who has had these problems?

or does anyone no what it could be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

the heat probably indicates that the battery may be faulty. was it hot when charging it and how long was it on charge. the stick batt. in a galaxy 5k takes only about 3 to 3.5 hours to charge fully. the fact that the piece stopped and issued heat may indicate a short between the the batt connections and the metal housing of the gearbox(inside the back of the piece where the battery slides in. check the leads for pared insulation. My piece did the same. i found the insulation at the batt. connection was frayed and i think it was shorting, giving off a lot of heat through the top of the reciever. Best of luck and hope that helps..

Yikes!!Jezz sorry dude, i just realised you have an mp7!! opps my bad, thats a different bag of cats!! nothin at all like an mp5k cos its got a really unique battery,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Looks like the battery connectors.

Boston's Galaxy MP7 Review
    Boston wrote:
    The gun has a full metal gear box which I removed and inspected, fully adjustable hop up and full metal barrel. The gear Box is power via two wires which connect to the battery just into the top rail (the fuse is also in this compartment). The wires aren’t particularly well insulated nor the connection to the batter secure. This is where you’re most likely to have a problem with this gun, and I’d give the wires/connections 18 to 24 months before one of the other burn out. The gear box itself is very solid and I can’t see the gear box giving any problems

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

just removed the top rail to check and the wires are fully insulated and the connections are secure there are no signs of a short circuit in here and the fuse is ok.:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

the MP7 uses the same battery as my G18c AEP afaik (7.2v stick battery with no wiring), did you install the battery straight from the charger? you sgould always let batteries cool before installing them in anything., also did it a/ get hot when you pull the trigger? or b/ just as soon as the battery was installed, if it was a/ then could be something like fulty motor or the gears locked up, if its b/ then id say the likely cause is a short in it somewhere,. you never really know until you get inside them.,

it was when i pulled the trigger that smoke started coming out of it and than i tool the battery out and it was roasting and the top of it was melted:confused:

i took off the top rail but you can only see the fuse and the contacts at the back of the battery.which are all ok

i dont know if the motor comes out of not so i cant check that?

• Advertisement

i wouldnt know for sure as i havent taken an mp7 apart yet though the fact that the battery burned and the fuse is ok would say to me that there is a short in the wiring before the fuse and motor etc which is why it didnt blow, this would mean that it "should" be ok with the short fixed and a new battery, if you find a short in it and tape it up then test it with a different battery (dont try the melted one in it again) it should be ok,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭[--SC(+)PE--]

probably just a dodgy battery, same thing happened me albeit with a different gun [Cyma 031]
    glock Aep battery's shouldn't fit it unfortunetly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭du beton

think shiva mentioned he was having problems with the Galaxy mp7's wiring wise. I have one for the last 5 days, was very impressed up til I was showin it tioa mate today and it just died, mid shot. Am chargin up d battery now will follow d lads advice and leave it sit for a while before usin it.Fingers crossed:o

if it doesnt fire straight away dont push it any further as you will only burn the battery or the wiring, I was going to get one of these but with the amount of faults that people are having i think ill set my eyes on something else.,

du beton wrote: »
    was very impressed up til I was showin it to a mate today and it just died, mid shot.

that is the same thing that happened to me just died.

the wiring is fine fron=m the battery to the fuse but will probably need to check the motor does anyone know if it comes out?

also ordered a new battery so hopefully it was just the battery and the new one will sort it

• Advertisement

probably need to check the motor does anyone know if it comes out?
    the motor can be taken out when the gearbox is dissassembled as far as i can remember.

the motor can be taken out when the gearbox is dissassembled as far as i can remember.

does anyone know how to do this??

its been a while since i went at my bust mp7 but ill be disassembling it again sometime tomorrow, cant remember much about the motor but ill let ya know when i see it again.

heres a good guide for disassembly. the Gearbox itself is quite simple to deal with in comparison to 1 or two others id seen [stupid Aug :rolleyes:] just be careful with the spring and make sure it doesnt fly out and you'll be fine.

well am gonna have to take a look at the internals of mine as the batt is fine (my bro also got one same time as me tried my batt in his).went to undo the allen head screws on top an one just turned into mush, am gonna have to get the tool box out an improvise a bit.

B*@**x I really am pleased wit this piece of kit except it doesn't work.That being said my brothers is flyin it, Murphy's law :(

It's official I'm an idiot, that allen head screw was just for show ie cosmetic, feelin silly now :(. Have found a spring loose beside the fuse, its very small, any chance this could be my prob ? Am goin back at it now, while I have a bit of peace and quiet here.

I hope you don't mind me piggy backing on your thread Peter, if you do tell me to bog off.:)
    du beton wrote: »
    well am gonna have to take a look at the
    internals of mine as the batt is fine (my bro also got one same time as me tried my batt in his).went to undo the allen head screws on top an one just turned into mush, am gonna have to get the tool box out an improvise a bit.

B*@**x I really am pleased wit this piece of kit except it doesn't work.That being said my brothers is flyin it, Murphy's law :(

no nto at all du beton sure we may be able to help each otheer along the way:D

i cant figure ot how to take out the motor do you know??

that spring is only connected on to the pull out thingy(very technical terms here:D) on the back to keep it in. from what i can see anyway i could be wrong!

Cheers Pete, figured out where that spring came from.As you pointed out it's to pull the cocking handle back to cover the hop-up unit again. I've spent the day stripping the mp7.I got down to the gearbox-motor unit and discovered that the motor was failing to initialise ie when I put in the Batt and pulled the trigger I heard a faint noise but nothing happened. I kept taking out the Batt to check it and as you said it heated up quickly.

I then began stripping the gearbox and forgot the advice given earlier in this thread and the spring shot out like a bat out of hell. I know how to get the gears back together but am stumped on putting back the smaller spring and plastic part.

What part are you stuck on ?

PS This is my first indept stripping of an airsoft, its educational to say the least. My missus'll go mad when she sees what I've been doing with my day off :D

i dont know how to strip the gear box so im stumped at that part oh and how does the motor come out:D

di want to go pulling it apart with out knowing what i was doing......

have you the gearbox and motor removed from the MP7 ?

The gearbox has 4 small screws and when these are undone the gearbox can be split, CAREFUL THE SPRING DOESN'T SHOOT OUT WHEN YOU SPLIT IT.

Once the gears are out you can remove the motor if u need to. You may want to test the motor, I reckon you may not hav burnt out the motor but you never know.

Am havin a hell of a time gettin mine back together.:(

where are these 4 small screws?:confused:

• Advertisement

have you the gun split in two ? The screws are on the outside of the gearbox.

no all iv managed to do it take off is the top rail how do i split it ?

sorry Pete just lost my entire explanation from start to finish :mad:
    I'll go step by step as I'm a SLOW typist.
    Face the mp7 pistol grip towards u with the buttplate to ur left and the muzzle to ur right.
    1 remove the extendable stock, push the release catch and extend.theres another catch on the opposite side of the mp7,engage this catch and the release catch,the stock should pull out.
    2 the foregrip next, use a flathead screw driver to shove bacg the C-washer on the hinge,the pin running thru the hinge can now be pushed thru by using a screwdriver.The fore grip should now be free.
    There's a tiny screw on the righthand side of the body, where the foregrip used to be attached,this has to come off.
    3 On the top,to the left where the rail used to be theres another tiny screw, this has to come out too.Its going thru the cocking handle.
    4 The right hand selector lever can be removed by pushing a small allen key or nail thru the small hole in it.This will shove out the tiny pin.
    5 Theres a lever to the front above the trigger.This can be removed by using a pliers or strong tweezers to pull out a small pin,in the righthand lever.When this lever is off the pin its fastened to can be pushed thru.CAREFUL as theres a tiny spring on this pin so when u push the pin thru it may fall off and get lost.
    6 There are two allen kays to your left at the butt of the mp7,these have to come off and the pins they screw into can be removed,just push them thru.
    7 Now the buttplate should pull out easily.
    8 The magasine release catch can be removed by pushing thru the pin at thr rear of the release catch which acts as a hinge.
    9Split the mp7 using a thin blade to slide in between the two halves.
    Hope I can post this this time.When u get this far I'll answer any more Q's u have.Be careful of the plastic body as its fairly brittle and small pieces break off if care is not taken.Good luck.

Just put my MP7 back together, all went well for about 70 bb's and now I'm back to square 1. I pull the trigger and hear an ever so faint click of the motor and nothing......:mad: am not a happy camper.Think I'll give it a break for a couple of days.

thanks for that du beton il give it a go tomorrow and let you know how i get on........

sorry to hear you are back to square one:(

good luck with that Pete......remember breath...lots of patience and tea required;)

Just put my MP7 back together, all went well for about 70 bb's and now I'm back to square 1. I pull the trigger and hear an ever so faint click of the motor and nothing...... am not a happy camper.Think I'll give it a break for a couple of days.
    Went at mine yesterday and the very same thing happened [mines a hybrid between a Well and a Galaxy version though] i put the the thing down and contemplated for a few minutes on what was wrong with it now. I picked it up again and it started working fine :rolleyes: i think the gearbox just locked up and cleared itself somehow, i was trying it in semi when it locked up.

just opened mine and the positive lead to the motor is hanging off:mad: and i t looked like it was making contact with the body of the motor........

everything else seems fine so gonna have to see if i can solder the wire back on and when the new battery arrives(hopefully next week)fingers crossed it will work fine!

Went at mine yesterday and the very same thing happened [mines a hybrid between a Well and a Galaxy version though] i put the the thing down and contemplated for a few minutes on what was wrong with it now. I picked it up again and it started working fine :rolleyes: i think the gearbox just locked up and cleared itself somehow, i was trying it in semi when it locked up.

So Scope how did the Hybrid come about ? Is the Well not a better MP7 ? Do u reckon there's any way to rectify the gearbox jamming problem,with washers for eg ? Was hopin to take the Galaxy to HRTA at some stage, may just have to get myself a Christmas pressie instead.Still not givin up hope on the mp7 though.

• Advertisement

I really dont know how much of a problem the gearbox jamming is going to be, or if it will ever happen me again[only had about 50 bb's left so i didnt get to fire it much]
    ive a feeling if ya avoid semi ya might be ok.

As for my hybrid oh its a long story :p Well i bought the Wellfire version 1 of a mate of mine about 6 months ago [version 2 came out shortly after and would appear to be a lot better]. The gun fires at 250 apparantely but their was absolutely no hop up effect what so ever. Seriously they were dropping like stones at like 25-30 feet on highest setting :eek:. So i took it apart to clean the hop and make some sort of bucking for it. I degreased and regreased the tiny little gearbox which i had read would be well overgreased, which was certainly the case. somehow the cheaply cast anti reversal latch snapped under one of the gears and after assembling the rest of the gun without it just wouldn't work.
    I spend months looking for a replacement latch/gearbox without having to buy a whole new gun and good old Shiva happened to have a Galaxy version lying around with electrical problems which i bought of him the last day. i chucked the Galaxy gearbox barrel and hop into the well and that's how my mp7 mongrel came about ;)

its hard enough to say which is the better version as i havnt really had time to mess around with the galaxy parts much since i got it. But the Wellfire version i have was pretty pathetic out of the box and barely skirmishable even in cqb. The second version might well have a decent hop and better spring but i wouldn't go and risk it.The Galaxy certainly has a decent hop effect.
    the bottom line i suppose would be that my well mp7 shoots alot better with Galaxy internals in it.

I dont think going out and buying a well version would be a worthwhile christmas prezzie for ya to be honost. You would be better of fixing the little beast ya have now.

One thing i would say from disassembling that thing an insane amount of times would be when re-assembling it always test the gearbox before ya put her in the gun cos it takes me an age to feed those stupid wires through to the connectors and their is nothing more frustrating if you have to take it apart every time ya try something new.
    hope some of this helps if ya filter out the gibberish ;)

Advertisement