Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not too sure bout this web jargon

Options
  • 18-11-2007 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hey humans,

I wanna get a web site up and running. The site is about 400 mb in total.
    I want to get a domain name with this site. can ye tell me what i should be looking for in terms of web-host wording.
    *also, i want it to be possible for thousands of people to see it.

so........how many gigs traffic etc do i need?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

Can you give us more information about your website? Why is it 400mb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭1der

it's gonna have animations and music and stuff. lots of flash too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Site is 400mbs ...

If 1 user goes to the site and checks out everything on the site .. then you're talking about them having downloaded everything so thats 1 x 400mbs ...

lets say you have 1000 users viewing everything on the site in a month ..

400mbs x 1000 = 400GBs of bandwidth a month ...

Now most crowds you'll go with offer around 500mbs -> 1GB of space ... how do you see the size of this site developing ?

You will probably want to go with dedicated hosting as putting this kinda pressure on shared hosting you will find will breach the 25GB or so limit a month ...

So you're looking at needing a dedicated server ... maybe a 1/4 of a server and you'll need to sort out some kinda deal on the bandwidth usage ...

These are rough figures on bandwidth usage .. most people won't look at the whole site ... but even if they look at a 1/4 .. and you've more than 1000 people looking at the site .. you're talking a lot of BandWidth usage

hopefully thats of some help ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

It all depends on your traffic. We have sites using 10-15GB of space that do 5 or 6 GB of transfer per month and sites that are under a single GB that do hundreds of gigs of transfer a month.

The size of the website doesnt really correlate to the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

Of course not everyone is going to browse every page on your site ;)

Presuming the animations and flash are selected by the user and not played automatically you might not use up such a large amount of traffic as forbairt was suggesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

400MB is quite large for a site, what is the content, is it made up of videos/rich media/downloads?

More information on the type of site, and the budget you've assigned for it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭1der

would it be difficult to store animations etc on google pages and use some for of RSS to channel them onto my web page without anybody noticing??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭WaterfordOnline

So many times people have come to me at Deise Host or at Complete VPS and tell me they are unhappy with their current host and wish to move. More times than any, the reason would be lack of stability or lack of support. The simple solution and explanation for this is "Y.G.W.Y.P.F" in simple terms means "You Get What You Pay For".

Prices and Plans
    When seeking out a new host, it is important to carefully look at their plans and prices. And, just as important, to determine roughly what you will actually need as regards space and bandwidth. Will your site contain many large files and many large numbers of visitors? These are the questions you need to ask yourself. Also, how much do you actually have to invest?

You will find many host providers, especially the new ones, who will offer you the sun, moon and stars when it comes to features for your site.
    • Up to Unlimited Space
    • Up to Unlimited Bandwidth
    • All the subdomains, SQL Databases, E-mail Accounts etc (this is ok)
    • 24/7 One-to-One Support (really?)
    and lots more besides and all for a ridiculously low price.

Let me get something straight here and give you all newcomers to the Webmaster era a little tip. There is NO SUCH THING as Unlimited Space or Unlimited Bandwidth. Servers have limits.
    Like, if a host has a server which boasts 2x160 GB HDD and 1,000 GB of Premium Bandwidth, how can they give you an unlimited amount? You would still be capped at 1,000 GB of Bandwidth, right?
    Make sense now?
    So, if someone offers you Unlimited Bandwidth, tell them to get a real job and you go and look elsewhere for your hosting package.

Contact Them First
    When you come across a hosting provider who looks to be reasonably good, give them a call or drop them an e-mail and find out some information from them. Do not be afraid to ask questions. If they are a legit provider, they would have no problem answering your questions truthfully and in a timely fashion.
    Some questions you could ask are:
    • What is your Uptime? Please provide proof.
    • How long have you been in business?
    • What types of support do you offer, and, what are the hours support is available?
    • What are your Money Back Policies? (very important)
    • Do you have backup Generators? (for when the electricity goes off)
    • Where are the servers located?
    • Do you offer backups of my hosting account? (if you make a mistake or your website gets messed up, they can revert to the day before or even a few minutes before).
    • If I am late paying, what happens?
    These are just some questions you could ask. It is also a good way of finding out how fast they are at responding to client queries. If they take longer than 24 hours to reply to your e-mail, you will know they can take just as long to answer support related issues. So, I would be crossing them off my Christmas card list.

SSH - Shell
    SSH, or Shell, is used to send commands to your server or for setting up applications and software on your server. It can also be a very deadly tool for hackers. If the server provider offers Shell with your package, without asking for Photo ID etc, move on. They cannot be trusted and it shows they have no interest in the security of their equipment.
    However, some hosts will offer Jailed Shell. It's just like normal Shell but more restrictive.

Choosing the right web hosting provider for your project is a very tricky job and great care should be taken when doing so. Remember, you are paying the money. Without you the provider has no reason to be there. Make sure they realise this.

Hope this helps when you are searching.

Danno.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

SSH - Shell
    SSH, or Shell, is used to send commands to your server or for setting up applications and software on your server. It can also be a very deadly tool for hackers. If the server provider offers Shell with your package, without asking for Photo ID etc, move on. They cannot be trusted and it shows they have no interest in the security of their equipment.
    However, some hosts will offer Jailed Shell. It's just like normal Shell but more restrictive.

Yes bad dreamhost / blacknight / hosting365 ... must change hosts immediately ... I hadn't realised having ssh access was this dangerous :D

They already have your credit card information assuming you paid via credit card :D

To be honest if a company wasn't offering me shell access I'd question why not and think they were rather small fry if they weren't. If the company is anyway half decent they'll have permissions set up correctly ...

But in the case of the OP's needs I'll assume he won't need ssh access

You were going fairly strong with your points up to there though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

So many times people have come to me at Deise Host or at Complete VPS and tell me they are unhappy with their current host and wish to move.
    I've just had a quick look at the hosting stats for deisehost and completevps and to be polite, you are no hosting365.ie.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

1der wrote: »
    I wanna get a web site up and running. The site is about 400 mb in total.
    Is that the size of the site complete with all graphics etc?
    how many gigs traffic etc do i need?
    How long is a piece of string? Assuming that you are going to get hit by the major search engines (Google/Yahoo/Microsoft), multiply the size of your site by six (Yahoo and Microsoft can be somewhat erratic). That should give you a baseline for bandwidth. But without knowing the size of the site, the type of site (multimedia or straight html) and the audience, it is very difficult to predict bandwith requirements.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭WaterfordOnline

jmcc wrote: »
    I've just had a quick look at the hosting stats for deisehost and completevps and to be polite, you are no hosting365.ie.

Regards...jmcc

I never did and never would claim to be. ;)

Advertisement