Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

can i claim the dole after travelling?

• 18-11-2007 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

hey everybody!
    i need some help.ive been travelling the world for 18 months and soon its time to come home(cant wait shockingly:)).eh my question is can i claim the dole as soon as i get home?i dont want to stay on it,but i plan to spend a week or so with my family and friends and then to get a job usually takes a few weeks anyway with second interviews and apptitude tests etc.and as you have probably guessed im broke from all the travelling!
    so am i entilted to it or have i been away too long?

thanks in advance for the help
    p.s i went on the social welfare site but i couldnt find what i needed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭smilingeyerish

not sure of exact details really. but everyone i know who came home after a year+ in autralia went on the dole when they came home. so yeah i pretty sure you can do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

If you were working for most of '05 then you can claim benefit on your contributions for that year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭mmmmmmm.......

i was working for all 2005!thanks so much for the help again.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kulekat

Hi!

yes you can. You will get the jobseekers benefit, approx 180 per week. make sure you keep all your travel records.. especially your boarding passes and flight home ticket. You need this to proove exactly when you came home, so that they can back date your payment to this date.

Start applying for jobs online with recruitment agencies now. keep all emails, and when you go into the office bring in a file with this proof that you have been looking for work.

When you get home, get into the welfare office asap. If you will be living with your parents temporarily before you get your feet on the ground, you will need a letter from one of them stating that you live there now. And also a utility bill with their name and address on it.

Bring your passport, your social welfare card, p45, p60, and as many official things to bombard them with as possible.

And the most important thing you need is patience when you go into one of those offices... and keep a happy face on for the officer you get. When they process your application, they send it to the 'decider officer', who then contacts them to discuss the case.

Best of luck!!!

Advertisement