Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slash foreign aid contribution

Options
123457»

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

moe, you've received two infraction points for getting personal on this thread. The next time I see you breaching the rules here, you'll be getting a ban instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Mrs Roy Keane

djpbarry wrote: »
    Right... :rolleyes:

This statement shows a complete lack of understanding of the asylum process.

Nonsense.

Sources?

Where? Billions of euros is already being pumped into public spending and it's not yielding results.

Maybe the hospitals, homeless etc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

How about some specifics?

As has already been stated, the HSE is a black hole when it comes to money. Government spending on health has increased drastically over the last number of years but the service is still deteriorating. The problem is not under-funding, the problem is poor management.

As for homeless people, as I have already stated, it's just not that simple. You are being very naive if you think that homeless people are where they are just because they ran out of money.

There are numerous charities that help homeless people get back on their feet (Focus do some particularly good work). If these people want help, it is available to them; they just have to stay clear of drink and drugs. I am not saying the state could not do more, but throwing money at the problem will solve nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

For fucks sake!! They're all worthy causes, but if we're currently spending 800m on Overseas Aid from a €54bn budget, then we're spending about 98.5% of our budget at home. Are you seriously suggesting that we should spend less on Overseas Aid? Any reasons that you'd care to share, or is just one line posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

As has already been stated, the HSE is a black hole when it comes to money. Government spending on health has increased drastically over the last number of years but the service is still deteriorating.

Is it? By what measure? Etc.

• Advertisement

nesf wrote: »
    Is it? By what measure? Etc.
    From the OECD website:
    Health spending per capita in Ireland grew, in real terms, by an average of 7.1% per year between 2000 and 2005, one of the fastest growth rates of all OECD countries and significantly higher than the OECD average of 4.3% per year.

The public sector continues to be the main source of health funding in all OECD countries, except the United States, Mexico and Greece. In Ireland, 78.0% of health spending was funded by government revenues in 2005, above the OECD average of 72.5%. The public share of health spending in Ireland has increased significantly over the past decade, up from 71.8% in 1995.

The HSE is in receipt of €15bn in funding this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

How about some specifics?

As has already been stated, the HSE is a black hole when it comes to money. Government spending on health has increased drastically over the last number of years but the service is still deteriorating. The problem is not under-funding, the problem is poor management.

As for homeless people, as I have already stated, it's just not that simple. You are being very naive if you think that homeless people are where they are just because they ran out of money.

There are numerous charities that help homeless people get back on their feet (Focus do some particularly good work). If these people want help, it is available to them; they just have to stay clear of drink and drugs. I am not saying the state could not do more, but throwing money at the problem will solve nothing.
    You're in the wrong thread, dude. But the reality is that Ireland spends far below what other countries pay for public health. Clearly there needs to be reforms, but 'black hole'? Millions of people a year get treatment, and there are some cases of extreme negligance. But we have to get real and pay up to have the service other countries choose to afford.

Edit: the reason for the health spending increase was chronic underfunding, and the system is still underfunded.

Getting back to the aid thing: this a Twilight Zone of a thread to me now. Just mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

From the OECD website:

The HSE is in receipt of €15bn in funding this year.

I meant about how it was deteriorating and what measures you were using.

nesf wrote: »
    I meant about how it was deteriorating and what measures you were using.
    Oh, sorry. Perhaps deteriorating was a poor choice of word. Anyway, as DadaKopf has said, this is way off-topic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

DadaKopf wrote: »
    You're in the wrong thread, dude. But the reality is that Ireland spends far below what other countries pay for public health. Clearly there needs to be reforms, but 'black hole'? Millions of people a year get treatment, and there are some cases of extreme negligance. But we have to get real and pay up to have the service other countries choose to afford.

Edit: the reason for the health spending increase was chronic underfunding, and the system is still underfunded.

Getting back to the aid thing: this a Twilight Zone of a thread to me now. Just mental.

the reason for increased spending year in year out is because of the fiasco that is benchmarking combined with the fact that no surplus staff in the public service are ever culled , most of the money goes on wages

• Advertisement
Advertisement