Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with Moviestar

Options
  • 18-11-2007 6:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭

Signed up for their one month free trial. They had a good selection of movies I am interested in so built up my wishlist. Two weeks later I get an e-mail telling me they had dispatched a dvd to me. OK says I, took them a while to get in gear but if I watch it and send it back the following day I may get a few more before the trial expires.

DVD never arrives. I wait and wait but nothing pops through my letterbox. The day before the trial expires I cancel it giving the reason that I had received nothing and it didn't bode well for the future!

I got a reply stating that I had a dvd to return to them and they couldn't cancel my account until they had received it. I replied stating that I had never received it. I heard no more. On checking my credit card bill last week I discover a charge of €7.99 from Moviestar! I e-mailed them again and I get the response "you entered the incorrect address, you didn't put in your postcode". Now, I doubt I left out my postcode but as I explained in my reply, the sorting office in James's St should have some idea of where Inchicore is seeing as it's only up the road from them! :rolleyes:

I asked for my payment to be refunded and said I was contacting my bank. I said I very much doubted that I had entered the incorrect address and that when I went into the website to check my details my postal address was there! I got this reply "Unfortunately we cannot be held responsible for customers who do not put in there complete address. We have lost stock over this, and this disc has still not turned up. The address has been changed since, as we did not want the next DVD to be dispatched to that address. Since this, the account has been suspended."

Now I'm really pissed off over this. I know it's only €7.99 and it won't break the bank but from what I can gather from other posts, they will take this payment for three months. Where do I go from here? I can't see my bank being much help when I ring them. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Perhaps's the Moviestar is been run on a similiar style to the owers other companies. It was set up by the McConnon brothers, it's not my place to pass judgement on them, you can make your own decision.

Try here, then try here. As for moviestar, it was hardly up and running before it was getting bad press they McConnon brothers were using retail copies of DVD for their rental service. The retail DVD's are bought at a considerabley cheap price from studio's. I searched for links but anything yahoo fopund didn't seem to work. But going for the release dates in the URL's they announced the launch on 27-8-06 and their's were reports of them using the wrong DVD's on 09/10/2006, as far as I remember one of the brothers admitted deliberately using the cheaper DVD's but was cocky and arrogant about it and didn't care.

here's the two links from google, it's easy enough to make the dates out;
    archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2006/09/10/story17108.asp
    archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2006/08/27/story16686.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

It galled me to see the luxury pad (Smithfield or Docklands at a guess) of one of the brothers, in an interview done in the Sindo recently about how well he had done for himself despite not doing the Leaving.

Needless to say the article did not mention how they fleeced pensioners in the UK with that business (it said they got in early when there was little 'regulation').

I would never sign up for moviestar on account of the past of the McConnons, and to see one of them celebrated (in the admittedly vile pages of the Sindo rag) made my blood boil.

Is there anything your credit card company can do to help if you explain the situation to them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

I rang my bank this morning and they were helpful. I sent them my e-mail correspondence and they are looking into it for me. Fingers crossed! Pity I didn't read the thread about the brothers before going ahead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Result! Didn't hear from my bank but on checking my account on line there was my payment refunded! Thanks for the links to their U.K. scams. I forwarded them to the bank just to boost my case! :D

Advertisement